BUD Ajax Movement??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

phpinfo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
USA
I guess this question would be directed to people with BUDs, specifically with an AJAX motor.

The dish seems to have issues moving to the West. It moves to the East very fast, but is slow going to the West. There is some resistance somewhere and it sometimes forces the motor to give an over-current error. If I get too far to the East, I sometimes have to go out and push on it a bit to get it going back West.

I have tried greasing and WD-40'ing it. The grease zerk fitting actually popped out and won't go back in. I think the hole got mis-alligned, if there is one. I can't even put a nail through the hole.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone experience mechanical issues like this and if there were any ideas. Also, it is not the motor. I just replaced it and this one and the old one had the same issues. It is definitely a mechanical/resistance issue.

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

The shaft in your picture is the worm gear shaft. It can be misaligned there are two nuts underneath the bracket. Loosen them and you can move the worm gear in or out. Make sure it is exactly horizontal to the to the gear or it will bind when moved in that direction. The other possibility is the bolt which runs through the flange bearing could be rusted or just to tight. The bolt is the one on the bottom of the polar shaft below the grease fitting

The shaft in your picture is the worm gear shaft. It can be misaligned there are two nuts underneath the bracket. Loosen them and you can move the worm gear in or out. Make sure it is exactly horizontal to the to the gear or it will bind when moved in that direction. The other possibility is the bolt which runs through the flange bearing could be rusted or just to tight. The bolt is the one on the bottom of the polar shaft below the grease fitting

Excellent! - I did loosen the bolt that runs through the polar shaft. I will test moving the dish some more. It wasn't that tight though. - On a side note, what is the purpose of this nut? My setup is all welded, so it can't come apart.

I will take a look at the worm gear tomorrow and see if I can do anything with it.

Thanks!

Excellent! - I did loosen the bolt that runs through the polar shaft. I will test moving the dish some more. It wasn't that tight though. - On a side note, what is the purpose of this nut? My setup is all welded, so it can't come apart.

I will take a look at the worm gear tomorrow and see if I can do anything with it.

Thanks!

Which nut?

Just to make a little clearer. If the worm gear is not in horizontal alignment with the driven gear, movement will be to free one direction and to stiff in the other (binding). Also, make you have some one hold the dish or support it in some way if you loosen the worm gear, because with the worm gear to loose the dish will move on it's own

Which nut?

Just to make a little clearer. If the worm gear is not in horizontal alignment with the driven gear, movement will be to free one direction and to stiff in the other (binding). Also, make you have some one hold the dish or support it in some way if you loosen the worm gear, because with the worm gear to loose the dish will move on it's own

Okay, got it.

- Below the grease fitting, there is a stud that runs into the polar shaft, with a nut on it. This might be a bolt on yours. Is this just for alignment of the shaft? It doesn't matter if this is too loose does it?

Okay, got it.

- Below the grease fitting, there is a stud that runs into the polar shaft, with a nut on it. This might be a bolt on yours. Is this just for alignment of the shaft? It doesn't matter if this is too loose does it?

If it's what I'm thinking about, it's the attach point for the polar shaft to the flange bearing plate. My plate is welded on.

Post a picture so I can make sure I'm referring to the right thing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)