Budget Stores/HDTV shopping

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mattnstacy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
What are people's thoughts on shopping for TVs at discount stores, ie. Walmart.

My budget is only probably 1000-1500 and would like something between 46-50". I know the general rule is you get what you pay for. A tv/home theater bundle would even be better.

Is there a good unbiased place to view the pros and cons of each type of HDTV technology. LCD vs Plasma vs DLP.

I'm leaning towards DLP because it seems the larger models (46-50) are cheaper in cost. I know there's a bulb issue and bowing problems. Also, how important is the contrast ratio number when comparing. I saw 2 different tvs last night. One was 1200:1 and one was 25000:1. The 25000:1 set looked pretty darn good, but there was a movie playing.

DLP's biggest problem is its inability to be hung on the wall, 10-15 inches is probably as thin as they will ever go.
The bulb and colorwheel (and associated "rainbow") don't exist in the latest LED-based DLPs.

It all boils down to budget, space available and how far you want to go to achieve perfection.

Not being constrained in space, I'd take DLP over any other technology any time.

Diogen.

Space isn't an issue, at least for my main TV. If I start upgrading bedrooms, I'd go LCD/Plasma. How do I know if the DLP I'm looking at is LED based?

Ok...Went to my local electronics store tonight...

I know I want...
46-50" HDTV/1080p
$1500 budget

I went in thinking LCD but I really noticed the "trail" effect on moving objects on many models. So the sales guy was moving me to the plasmas. The TV will be in a relatively bright room but I have a sliding glass door with no curtains behind the viewing area so I'm worried about reflections. This particular model looked good, but it was 1080i. And of course was sitting next to a 1080p model that was 1000 more.

I saw one LCD that was showing 120hz images on one side and "whatever" on the other. It really looked amazing. Is this really a true indicator. I will be watching a lot of sports so anything to reduce the "trail' effect would be great. I mentioned DLP but he kind of dismissed them because he thought they'd look dark in a brighter room.

I know the 120hz were all at least 2000. I'm more confused now than when I went in. That's not what I was planning on.

Help!

Welcome to the confusing world of HD TV buying. For your budget, it is not going to be easy to get a 46-50" LCD or Plasma that does not have some drawbacks. You may have better luck with rear projection in that price range. The 1080p 120HZ LCDs would probably work for you, but as you noticed they are probably 2200-2500. If they have a good return policy you might take a risk and try one at home.

What does 120hz even refer to? Like a refresh rate or something? Plasmas must not use the same technology so they aren't affected by it?

I'm also looking for something that will last awhile and I'm not sure about plasmas.

Sorry to be asking what you guys must think are stupid questions. I've never trusted salesmen at all.

What does everyone think of this?

Amazon.com: Samsung HLT5087SAX 50" Slim LED Engine 1080p DLP HDTV: Electronics

It has the new LED engine. I've never been real impressed with DLPs in a store setting but my brother in law's 3 year old Mitsu is gorgeous.

Last edited:
I saw one LCD that was showing 120hz images on one side and "whatever" on the other. It really looked amazing.
If the difference between 120Hz and "whatever" was "in your face" - it was a trick, akin Monster Cable superiority demonstration.
The difference is subtle and you have to know what to look for. But it is part of making the movies look "perfect"...
What does 120hz even refer to?
The lowest refresh rate that can show both video (60fps) and film (24fps) with each frame/field shown for the same amount of time. Makes the picture "fluid", judder-less.

Diogen.

120 hz processing is used in LCD technology to minimize motion blurring. It is not used to minimize film judder.

Go to Costco, BJs or Sam's Club. Look at what they're selling. Look for the JVC rear projection HDTVs. These use bulbs, but have no color wheel. They are DiLA AKA LCoS.

Rear projection, LCoS & DLP, will give the best bang for the buck. You should be able to get JVC models in 52" or maybe even 56" in that price range. On a good day, even a 61" model. Both 720 & 1080p models are offered.

Went to Best Buy today...

Looked at
West. TX-47F430S-1299
Samsung LNT 4661F-1629
Samsung LNT4671-2799

The 4671 had a Blu ray movie playing and was just unbelievable. Is that because of the 1080p or the 120hz or the Blu ray? It almost looked 3d. Can I get close to that with any of the cheaper models?

Didn't really notice the motion issues like I did last night. But there weren't a lot of fast things happening.

The 71 series is near top of the line for Samsung, some argue the 81 is better with local LED dimming in many ways for another 1k.... Amazon.com carries these for a lot less than BB with free shipping. Also, of course waiting a few months will always drop the price some.

Amazon has the 71 at appox. 2350.

Our top line is 2000. They have a 69F for about 2000. They seem pretty close. Could I expect a picture close to the 71? Contrast ratio was the only difference I can see in the specs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)