Budget Stores/HDTV shopping

The 69 gets good reviews. They say it is nearly the same set except with a matte vs gloss screen. The matte screen will help with the window refections, but it lowers the contrast ratio some since it also diffuses the light coming out of the set.

Samsung showed their new 2008 lineup at CES. They should start shipping them in a few months, closeouts can happen.

Waiting is always the game with electronics. They will always cost less shortly after you buy. Was just suggesting if you really decided you wanted the 71f it could be in your price range in a few months. It is moving slowly downward each month (about $100/month it seems). I have been considering this set too, so I have been watching the price for a while. But, then of course if you wait you will miss enjoying your set for that length of time, and of course you risk the next best set coming out and wanting to wait on that, thereby never buying....

I know. TVs are now just like buying computers. Always going to something better than what you buy and what you bought will always get cheaper.

I've really never spent this kind of money on a tv before so I'm trying to get the most bang for the buck. I started out the budget at 1000 and after seeing the "newer" ones I've raised it up to 2000 and we'll wait on adding the surround and Blu Ray until Xmas. If I was single I would've bought one a long time ago. With a good size tax refund and the federal rebate this year I have the freedom to finally make the plunge.

I can really wait another month until I "need" it. (Baseball season) Amazon seems like the best place to go. I'm not sure if the free shipping is an "all the time" thing or not. That's pretty nice.

On this set it has free shipping whenever it is in stock. If it goes out of stock sometimes it will have a shipping charge. At least this has been the case for the last 6 months or so. The cost on the set has come down by about 700 bucks.

That's unreal. I see a couple other online places that are a few bucks cheaper but Amazon beats them with the free shipping.

I'm just trying to narrow it down to at least the technology I want.

Overall I've like the Plasma's PQ, but don't like the reflection.
Like the DLP price and PQ, but haven't really seen a good one in a store. I haven't liked most LCDs' motion blurring but the 120hz models I've see are amazing, and the Blu Ray movie playing in the 71 I saw today was absolutely jawdropping.

That's unreal. I see a couple other online places that are a few bucks cheaper but Amazon beats them with the free shipping.

I'm just trying to narrow it down to at least the technology I want.

Overall I've like the Plasma's PQ, but don't like the reflection.
Like the DLP price and PQ, but haven't really seen a good one in a store. I haven't liked most LCDs' motion blurring but the 120hz models I've see are amazing, and the Blu Ray movie playing in the 71 I saw today was absolutely jawdropping.

I went to a local b&m store. Bought a Samsung 4071 lcd. Tried it out. Hated it because of tbe and when things move in movies it has that unreal soap opra effect. Most stores have a 10 or 15 day money back return.

Took it back the next day and ordered the sammy 4065. I probably saved over $400 and had my questions answered about the 120hz.

It just was not for me.

Try it before you buy it!!

Also if you don't want glossy(which the 71 is) you can get a matte in 69 series.

Do you notice the motion blur on the 65? I was really turned off by that one I saw the other night. I'm probably wrongly lumping all LCDs in the same area. I don't remember what make/model that was.

I'm guessing some LCDs handle the blurring issue better?

Do you notice the motion blur on the 65? I was really turned off by that one I saw the other night. I'm probably wrongly lumping all LCDs in the same area. I don't remember what make/model that was.

I'm guessing some LCDs handle the blurring issue better?

No motion blur on my 65. Like the 71 it is glossy. If you want a matte then go with the 61 series.

Another thing about technology. New tech is not always better. Some people like the 71 some people don't. How far are you from a retail store that has them???

Get it there and try it out. You will know once you set it up if it is for you.

Watch a football being thrown and I think you will have your doubts

I can see how it might almost look fake, to a certain extent. The picture was so clear it was scary. Maybe that would look weird after a while.

I think I want the matte finish so I think I'll go with the 61 or maybe try the 69.

Thank you so much for the help!

If you go over to AVS Forum and look for the LNTxx71 owners thread you can read extensively about it. The triple ball effect is what tigerfan mentioned. You can turn off some of the processing options to minimize the problem. Later updated firmware seems to address most the issues. This thread is huge, thousands of comments. You might want to jump and read the last 20 or so pages to get a more current idea on the state of the TV.

You can find a long discussion of almost any TV there. Every flaw of every set is debated over and over.

Also checking out the Panasonic 50PZ77U. I've never like the glare from the plasmas but the PQ has been great. I'll have to check it out in the store. Anyone have this? I've read up on AVS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts