Buying a house with satellite already installed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mjbush

Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
New York
We are buying a house that already has satellite TV installed. Can we have the dish and equipment conveyed to us and simply change the account to our names?

No, you'll be a new sub and will get everything new. A professional will come out and install it all, because for all you know, it might not be hooked up in every room(happened to me). If you need HD, there might not be a Slimline installed, and it will have to be replaced(happened to me).

We are buying a house that already has satellite TV installed. Can we have the dish and equipment conveyed to us and simply change the account to our names?

Easier to put the TVs where YOU will use them. If the existing stuff works that is fine but whatever you require for your use will be provided...within the limits of the basic FREE installation.

Joe

I wouldn't bother with the receivers but I'd leave the existing dish in place. If it's a good dish, properly mounted, aimed, and all the wiring in place getting DirecTV service would be a very easy "plug and play" with new receivers. If not then it's a pretty simple install to potentially swap out the dish, etc. Again, since there's a good chance the receivers aren't owned if current models then I'd let them go. If they're not current models you probably don't want them anyhow especially if you have HDTV's and want to get the most out of your TV's.

This is the whole point of the mover's program. DirecTV wants the old dishes left when someone moves. The previous residents should have taken the receivers with them (or sent them back to DirecTV). When you call to setup new service or move your existing service the tech *should* use the existing dish as long as it supports your services (HD, number of rooms, etc). Of course if you need a new dish for HD, or you want TVs in a different area then you will have to have an installer make those changes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)