BVN issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fuifnummer

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
West Chester, PA
Hi

I had to re-point my dish but delayed it for 2 years (I know ..don't ask time just fly's). The BVN from Holland is on the AMC4 and I hoped it was easy. So mounted the dish to the house, google the direction and together with my sat-finder and my Traxis DBS2500. I had the signal in 2 seconds. Boy was that easy (I thought) However no such luck. The sat-finder was bieping loud but the signal quality remain in the freezing range. I can't seem to find why.. Am I looking at the wrong bird?? And if so is there a trick to it. I can only get my sat-finder to biep in that one spot. Please help ...

Hi Iceberg, Thanks for your reply!! I am not sure if I am looking at AMC4 and I also am not sure how I would find out which satellite I am getting the signal from.

I googled the direction and set the antenna. After that I changed the angle and, my god the thing started bieping immediately. So I thought I was good. Than when I did not get the quality bar up I went to look for another satelite but none found. It is all manual with a compass so thats prone to mistakes (at least in my mind).

The thing that I do not know is: How much can I be off with the direction and the angle to still find it? I did not find any other Satellite when applying small changes to the direction and slowly changing the angle.

I did see another reply from you to an almost similar situation and your reply was that it was a data signal that the guy got that would not have a quality. Thats exactly what I have 75 strenght but no quality. But how to look for a none-data signal, that I do not know.

My settings on the receiver are okay (I think) I am traveling and far from home now, I will see if I can list the settings for you.

Really appriciate your getting back to me. This stuff gets to me......

Regards,

Fuif.

Hi Iceberg

My better half just sent me a picture of the television screen and here are the numbers:

LBN Type: Normal KU
LBN Low frequency: 10750 Mhz
Transponder: 21 (12020)
22k: Off
12V: Off
DisEqC: Off
LBN Power: 13/18

The Transponder 21 comes from the Lynsat website and BVN Website. However I did notice that it says 12120 instead of 12020 so I tryed to change but I still did not get any quality. The funny thing is that transponder 24 has the correct value 12120. Not sure what how to approach that. I attached the screen picture.

Regards

Fuif

Attachments

• Dish 004.JPG
    Dish 004.JPG
    529 KB · Views: 181
other than the transponder being wrong the rest of the screen looks fine

turbosat posted the correct transponder info :)

Tried to point it again:

Plumbed the dish holder, put it on 36.9, pointed it and it is spot-on. The sat-finder is beeping. I move it away it stopped beeping. I point it back it begins beeping again. So I got to be looking at something.

Transponder edit issue:
The thing I don’t understand is the transponder manager on the receiver. What ever I do I can’t get transponder 21 on the correct settings. I change it, I save it, it even gives me a warning that I changed it but when I go back to the antenna set up it lost it.
21 is set to 12020 and should be 12120 for AMC4. So back in the antenna menu I choose transponder 24 as that has the correct settings. Is that an issue?

Anyway so I have the sat-finder beeping and the settings okay and still no quality is my equipment still ok?

- Is the LNB still okay can I test it ?
- Is the receiver still okay can I test it ?
- To find out why the sat-finder is beeping should I go over all satellites in the menu for that direction an see which one I am
getting the signal from ?
- There are tree's about 30 yards away would they completely stop the signal? The dish is at about 16 feet but the tree's are significantly higher

Last edited:
That Traxis doesnt have blindscan, that I know of. What you need to do, is learn how to enter the tp freq manually into the receiver's list. If you had a blindscan rec, it would easy to just run a scan now since you're getting some signal on SOME? satellite, list the channels, then we could tell where you are pointed. Just enter that tp freq manually under that Satellite's TP list, then try scanning . Manual scan, TP scan or whatever its called on the 2500. List any channels you find here and we'll figure it out! What lnbf are you using?

Hi Turbosat, Thanks for your reply. I beginning to wonder if the trees are the issue. Would the signal go through the trees. They are White Pines. When looking at the same angle as the dish the signal comes in at about the 3/4 of the total tree height.

Dish Pointer says the tree is about 95 feet away and may not be higher than 70 feet. As I am about 15 feet of ground level I think I should be good.

Still I am thinking about moving the dish but it has to go a long way from the house to get open sky. The cable length would become 30 to 35 yards. But just for kicks I could put a table there and try it out.

BTW I did do a scan but not a channel comes in, none what so ever. This is a strange situation.. I turn the dish of the direction and the beep goes away, beep comes back when I put it on 228 -where it should be- signal strength 76% but no quality what so ever..?

Last edited:
Tree prob is the trouble then, small branches can affect it in big ways. I would def try an alternate location, and test different areas of your site for a way that lets you avoid the obstruction, or the possibility of obstruction. I played with a direcway dish for 2hours once,
trying to see over/around, thru a walnut 70' tall. Moved the dish about 7' from where I was set up, and got perfect signal on my target satellite lol.

I bet your right and already put up a pole. Clear line of sight, just to hot there now and can't see the screen. So beer and chips for now. Let you know how it goes.
THANKS

Ok nothing works! not even with placing the Dish in several locations. So I am done ..well done so to say.

I think I should start with buying a new LNB, if that doesn't work a new receiver but hopefully that's won't be necessary. I got the equipment from Eyeinthesky.net but they do not pick up the phone so it's hard to find any advice. I read good things on this blog about SatelliteAV.

Any thing I should look for when buying an LNB ? I now want a good LNB so I know it can not be the equipment. The dish size is 84 X77 cm ?not round?

Thanks guys

What kind of dish/lnbf do you have now? Have you tried getting any other satellites with it?
Why not try another sat or two, on each side of AMC4, see if you get anything. Surely that tree wouldnt' have you blocked very far unless you're right under it. 30yards or so worth of cable is not going to hurt your signal, most of mine are 125' from the house. Post a pic of your dish from the front , if you can, we'll figure out then what kind of lnb you got, or need maybe.

The Dish itself does not have a brand name or something its 84 x 77 cm. I believe its off-set as it does not look 30 degrees when you put it in 30 degrees. Almost looks like its 5 to 10 degrees up. The LNB has a label this is what it says.
DMS
DVB321-SB
LO: 10.750 GHz
NF: 0.6 dB
S/N: 3B20

I attached a picture as it is mounted now in a saw-horse to make it mobile.

Sorry for the late response ..had to leave ot alone for a while..

Attachments

• LBN 002.jpg
    LBN 002.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 132
  • LBN 003.jpg
    LBN 003.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 120
Looks like a winegard dish

its offset so it will look like its aimed really low but will work just fine. The signal comes in 22-25 degrees higher than what the dish looks like

Those are pretty good little lnbfs, I have 2-3 of them for spares, one in use on a 1m. Once you find the right spot that gives you the clear line of sight, you should get great video from AMC4.
I would enter all the active TPs in your 2500, from The List, or at least one V and one H transponder, then keep at it.

Tried programming the TP's manually buy the moment you take the power away it looses everything and I have to start over. I will try some more today, as it will keep the settings as long as it has power, but I am close to scrapping this thing. Thanks for all your help.

Never heard of one that loses programming if you unplug it. I'd def start looking for a different box, The Traxis 3500 is a good one , it blind scans too, and the Fortec mercury2/dynamic is a little better. both are reasonable in price and have good scan and video display. Both are also very good for aiming dishes lol.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)