Status
Please reply by conversation.

W_Tracy_Parnell

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 19, 2005
South of Buffalo NY
Thinking about getting a stationary 6 footer for CBand. I would keep my motorized setup for KU. I went through many of the old threads but I would like to know the current situation.

Questions:

1. What can I really expect to get on analog and digital? I am thinking of pointing at either IA6, IA5 or G4 as these seem to be the most active. Are the old analog wild feeds still there and could I get them? Any good news feeds?

2. What is the best LNB for this setup (concerned ablout CBand only)?

3. I am looking at the Fortec 6 foot solid but is a mesh any better/cheaper?

4. I would like to use my existing Fortec for digital and slave an analog (I may know where I can get one) to that. Can I just run a line from my CBand LNB to my current switch? How long of a cable can I run to the switch without losing signal?

Thanks for any help! :)

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Questions:

1. What can I really expect to get on analog and digital? I am thinking of pointing at either IA6, IA5 or G4 as these seem to be the most active. Are the old analog wild feeds still there and could I get them? Any good news feeds?
check Mike Kohl's site (www.global-cm.net) for the digital stuff. Yes there are still wild feeds out there (you would need an analog box)

BSC-421 I think is the one (DMSI's C-band LNBF)

I love my 6 footer. Easy to manuever and works really well

4. I would like to use my existing Fortec for digital and slave an analog (I may know where I can get one) to that. Can I just run a line from my CBand LNB to my current switch? How long of a cable can I run to the switch without losing signal?

Thanks for any help! :)
yep. thats what I do. I have mine maybe 50 feet but you could go 100+ with good RG6 coax :)
setup is slave the analog from the Fortec

Iceberg said:
check Mike Kohl's site (www.global-cm.net) for the digital stuff. Yes there are still wild feeds out there (you would need an analog box)

BSC-421 I think is the one (DMSI's C-band LNBF)

I love my 6 footer. Easy to manuever and works really well

yep. thats what I do. I have mine maybe 50 feet but you could go 100+ with good RG6 coax :)
setup is slave the analog from the Fortec

Do you keep yours on G4 pretty much all the time?

Would it be possible to make a 6 footer motorized? Old BUD dishes used to be motorized, I'm assuming that newer ones can be too? How much would that cost? What motors work best? I'm guessing cost is way up there, but it's good to find the facts before guessing and making assumptions because you know what assumptions do. I've hinted to my wife a few times that I wouldn't mind getting a bigger dish if we buy a bigger plot of land someday.

What old analog feeds are you looking for to watch? TV shows...most are digital now and can't be had with a commercial receiver. On IA 6, there's some Judge Judy, Entertainment Tonight and the Lara show that follows ET that are still analog on IA 6. CBS Distribution feeds.

G4's Buena Vista Disney feeds are still analog, but probably not next September. Mariners games are on G4. ESPN +Plus loves G4 from Iowa, Ohio State, Iowa State every year.

Sports on analog on IA 6 are college football games, MLB Astros and Tigers feeds, NBA Pistons, Magic games. Videocypher works on IA 6 if you have an older model. :)

Not much analog on IA 5 except for the Rangers and NBA Kings and Spurs games.
IA 5 is not what it used to be.

For digital, IA 6 is where CBS hangs out, ABC feeds are on IA 5 and G4. ESPN uses G4 as well.

I like the one I have which is the one Tony has for his setup too. G4 and IA 6 are great for analog. IA 6 Tr's 16 & 18 are a little weak for me here in California.

That's what I use. I keep it stationary on either G4 or IA 6 most of the time. I can see analog on IA 5 if I have the dish on G4. Worked out great for the Mariners and Rangers games last night. I don't go much pass AMC 1. IA 7 is weak for me and a pain to find. Cardinals feeds are bad. So is PBS on AMC 4. AMC 1 and Anik birds come in great though.

For c-band. I run the wire to the output of the a/b/c switch. I use it as an input. A is used as an output for analog on the HTS 70 receiver so I can watch vertical or horizontal analog when the switch is on A. I use B as an output to the switches that run the 420 receiver. 420 receiver controls the lnbf when on B. I use C as an output to the 422 receiver switches. 422 receiver controls the lnbf on C. Setup works great. I use a 75 ft wire that is wired along the back and side fences and comes in through the shed with the wires from the other dishes. Other threads have mentioned the signal strengths, but I get most of them fine that I want.

Last edited:
W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Do you keep yours on G4 pretty much all the time?
pretty much. I do scan the sky as from AMC3 to AnikF1 are pretty much the same elevation.

AMC3 has the Tube
G4 has Nets

I can get some bleedover from IA5 on G4 (whcih can be a good thing)

mastermesh said:
Would it be possible to make a 6 footer motorized? Old BUD dishes used to be motorized, I'm assuming that newer ones can be too? How much would that cost? What motors work best? I'm guessing cost is way up there, but it's good to find the facts before guessing and making assumptions because you know what assumptions do. I've hinted to my wife a few times that I wouldn't mind getting a bigger dish if we buy a bigger plot of land someday.

the 6 foot one that Sadoun sells (that a few of us have) could have an actuator added (thats a motor for C-Band) but it takes some riggin up.

The older C-band dishes had a "O" ring that was easily able to add an actuator. The Fortec has a tower type frame that the dish is on

Iceberg said:
pretty much. I do scan the sky as from AMC3 to AnikF1 are pretty much the same elevation.

AMC3 has the Tube
G4 has Nets

I can get some bleedover from IA5 on G4 (whcih can be a good thing)

Is it tough to assemble (I have low handyman skills quotent)? Also, how do you change elevation?

nah. Its 2 "O" rings and 5 arms...pretty easy to build

One of the arms has an elevation knob. I marked where it should be in case I move the dish to a farther end of the arc

If I can put one together then you won't have trouble with it. A knob locks the elevation once you find it for your bird. Unlock/twist to make it loose. You just move the dish down and up on the pole.

Thanks for the reply Mike!

I am looking mainly for news feeds/behind the scenes type stuff for myself, but I wouldn't mind getting some of the shows you mentioned for the wife (always consider the wife factor :) ). I guess Orbit's wild feed section is out of date since they show everything under the sun still available. I'm not a huge sports fan anymore, although I do like golf and I'll watch football and baseball occasionally. I guess I'm just looking to expand beyond KU. :)

The unit I would be getting (if it works out) is a Uniden 4200 or 4400-would that be good?

I am looking at the BSC-421 LNB unless PSB tells me the new 621 C/KU is better on the C side. I am looking at less than a 50 foot run to my switch so I should be good there.

Thanks

MikeI said:

What old analog feeds are you looking for to watch? TV shows...most are digital now and can't be had with a commercial receiver. On IA 6, there's some Judge Judy, Entertainment Tonight and the Lara show that follows ET that are still analog on IA 6. CBS Distribution feeds.

G4's Buena Vista Disney feeds are still analog, but probably not next September. Mariners games are on G4. ESPN +Plus loves G4 from Iowa, Ohio State, Iowa State every year.

Sports on analog on IA 6 are college football games, MLB Astros and Tigers feeds, NBA Pistons, Magic games. Videocypher works on IA 6 if you have an older model. :)

Not much analog on IA 5 except for the Rangers and NBA Kings and Spurs games.
IA 5 is not what it used to be.

For digital, IA 6 is where CBS hangs out, ABC feeds are on IA 5 and G4. ESPN uses G4 as well.

I like the one I have which is the one Tony has for his setup too. G4 and IA 6 are great for analog. IA 6 Tr's 16 & 18 are a little weak for me here in California.

That's what I use. I keep it stationary on either G4 or IA 6 most of the time. I can see analog on IA 5 if I have the dish on G4. Worked out great for the Mariners and Rangers games last night. I don't go much pass AMC 1. IA 7 is weak for me and a pain to find. Cardinals feeds are bad. So is PBS on AMC 4. AMC 1 and Anik birds come in great though.

For c-band. I run the wire to the output of the a/b/c switch. I use it as an input. A is used as an output for analog on the HTS 70 receiver so I can watch vertical or horizontal analog when the switch is on A. I use B as an output to the switches that run the 420 receiver. 420 receiver controls the lnbf when on B. I use C as an output to the 422 receiver switches. 422 receiver controls the lnbf on C. Setup works great. I use a 75 ft wire that is wired along the back and side fences and comes in through the shed with the wires from the other dishes. Other threads have mentioned the signal strengths, but I get most of them fine that I want.

"unless PSB tells me the new 621 C/KU is better on the C side"

The BSC-621-2 is slightly better than the old ASC-421 C-Band LNB thats for sure, have not tried the BSC-421 yet but as soon as I do or get details I will post them here :)

PSB said:
"unless PSB tells me the new 621 C/KU is better on the C side"

The BSC-621-2 is slightly better than the old ASC-421 C-Band LNB thats for sure, have not tried the BSC-421 yet but as soon as I do or get details I will post them here :)

Would they be equally as easy to install on the Fortec? I would probably lean to the 421 due to the price.

Yes, very easy to install, line up the skew mark, change the L.O. to 5150 and point the dish.

Just got some details on the difference between the ASC and BSC-421. Will post that in the thread under that subject.

I was thinking of just mounting it on a pallate with the stand like they show on Sadoun's website (since this will likely not be a permanent installation) and weighting it down with a few blocks. Is it easier to "getto move" on a pole though?

I have my 6 foot Winegard dish with a C/KU International feed that tracks from AMC 7 at 137.0 w to PASS 9 at 58.0 w with no problem

DK

My dish sits on a pallet loosely. I just move it around the pallet and try not to block the G11 ku dish. I don't have it mounted on the pallet, but I have a bag of sand should a wind storm come to weigh it down, but here in So Cal, that's rare compared to winds in Phoenix I used to see. I haven't weighed it down in the 3 1/2 months I've had it. It's easy to move as long as you have a TV nearby to see the feeds on the other birds. I look for analog on G11, IA 6 and G4, digital on AMC 1 and G3 if Geraldo isn't on.

There is a lot to be said for pallets and flat (roof/deck) mounts!

Attachments

• Pict0127.JPG
    Pict0127.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 195
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)