C-Band Dish and Ku Dish One Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Mr. Rainy day here....

Satellite signals are polarized. FTA signals are horizontal/vertical. A single output LNBF can only output one polarity at a time. A single output LNBF can only provide one polarity at a time. If you plan to add additional receivers, an extra $10 right now for a dual output LNBF will allow multiple receivers to watch the same satellite and opposing polarity channels at the same time.

If you do not plan on adding additional receivers or tuners, buy a single output LNBF.

You can buy a lot of stuff before you know what is good, best or necessary. That is why I suggest to start small, learn and grow. :D

Thanks Mr Rainy day Does that mean that 2 receivers will have to watch whats on the same sat?

If you buy a single output (non bandstacked) LNBF, all additional receivers must watch the same polarity. Buy a dual output (or bandstacked) LNBF and support as many receivers as you want.

A 10ft dish may be adequate for most C-band signals. Some DVBS2 satellite signals will need a larger size.

Hi Michael and :welcome If you are considering a Tek2000 you might want to read this review thread I started. It touches on dish quality and shipping issues and has pics myself and others have posted of our dish installs. I highly recommend 10' or larger. I went with the 8' and while adequate I wish I had gone bigger. http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/review-tek2000-8-mesh-dish.337977/

That's a hell of a pad! Did you have a cement truck on standby? Whats the story with the smalled dish?

That's a hell of a pad! Did you have a cement truck on standby? Whats the story with the smalled dish?
The large concrete pad used to be where a shed stood before we got the property so I figured I might as well make use of it.:) Small dish is for ku (motorized 30W to 125W).

Looking good!!! You're doing what I hope to do. Are both dishes connected to one receiver?

Looking good!!! You're doing what I hope to do. Are both dishes connected to one receiver?
Yep, one coax run in for each dish into a 22khz switch hooked to my Amiko Mini HD SE. KU dish is on the 22Khz side of switch and moved with USALS. C band dish is on the 0Khz side of switch and moved with Diseqc commands. I just pick a channel and receiver automatically moves the dishes, works great!:)

Reactions: richyrich
Nobody likes a showoff young man!!! Hopefully I'll get there soon?
You will. I started out with just a fixed ku dish on 97W last year (to get the idea of how to adjust everything) before motorizing. Didn't take long before I wanted to check out c band and I set that one up this year and motorized it from the start. It can be difficult at times if something is just a bit off here or there but there are lots of great people on the site willing to help if you run into any problems or can't figure something it out.

OK well I'll just have to be patient and take baby steps, I just hope I can learn what I need to before the snow comes.

OK well I'll just have to be patient and take baby steps, I just hope I can learn what I need to before the snow comes.
I didn't start my ku until, I believe, October of last year and had it motorized before winter. It all makes sense pretty quick. Starting now you could easily have them both up before bad weather sets in, and as long as you have your poles in the ground nothing says you can't work on them if you don't mind the cold.:rolleyes::snow

Michael, I forgot to mention above that I use a VBox positioner (about $40) with the c band dish. It's connected to the 0Khz output of the 22Khz switch and then the coax in from the c dish hooks to the vbox. Pretty simple. Whether you go for KU, C or both, good luck and keep us posted on your progress. We love dish installation stories, especially with pics!:)

Last edited:
I've done this using a diseqc switch too: receiver -> asc1 -> usals motor -> diseqc switch -port1 to C band LNB, port 2 to Ku LNB, port3 to Ku LNBF (on motor), port 4 to Ku LNBF stationary @ 125w. Set C-band sats for diseqc positioning and Ku for USALS (ones I don't point the C-band dish at...). Seemed to work until the setup gets struck by lightning... :(

ALL configurations like this have worked great for many years. The power supplied by the receiver that "has control" sends the signal by daisy chain to the "other" receivers in the SWITCH SYSTEM OF EACH BANDED SYSTEM. The other receivers only need a motor and dish for themselves for "control" of what channel this receiver gets to select from its list (upgrade req.)!

Michael, I forgot to mention above that I use a VBox positioner (about $40) with the c band dish. It's connected to the 0Khz output of the 22Khz switch and then the coax in from the c dish hooks to the vbox. Pretty simple. Whether you go for KU, C or both, good luck and keep us posted on your progress. We love dish installation stories, especially with pics!:)
Don't worry you guys are going to be right there with me every step of the way

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)