C/KU (Standard) LNBF on BUD Confusion about 22K switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slider

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Colorado
I've never really understood the switch. As far as I can gather the switch is only needed when the KU side is Universal with two LOs. I can leave it off if my single LO on the KU side is 10.75 GHz Correct? I'm in Colorado so I'd be searching on the high side of KU but there is nothing to switch on a "Standard" as opposed to a "Universal" LNBF right?. So I would leave it off for both KU and C and I can always specify 22K--Off on my First Strike meter? What really confuses me is that it's spec'd like this , " LO C 5150 MHz , K 10.75 GHz Switching 0/22K " So I'm not sure whether to leave switch off or on both on the First Strike meter and the MicroHD receiver when searching KU TPs. This LNBF is DMS International BSC621 (not the BSC621-2). Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks.

On some Combo LNBFs they use a standard 2x1 DiSEqC switch built in. Some use a built in 22kHz switch. In the case of the 22kHz switch, you turn on 22kHz to access the Ku side. When I used one I never used the internal switch, I always used an external DiSEqC switch. It does make it confusing. The ones I have seen that had a universal Ku LNBF used a 2x1 DiSEqC switch....so why not just keep it that way if it was a standard Ku LNBF is beyond me. The Chinese manufacturer probably used what ever was cheapest at the time, to include. Anyway I have seen it both ways, and it is a head scratcher for sure.
and like I said with yours if you choose to use the internal switch and little jumper you will need to turn on 22kHz on all your Ku birds.

You may be trying to overthink that. The switch is just a switch, simple on/off. You turn it on by sending a 22khz tone at it. This was one of the first switching commands to be used in a receiver. With that technology they could broaden the frequency range of an LNB by giving it two LO settings and using the 22khz to switch between them. They found they could also use this switching to make C/Ku(standard) LNBFs that had a built-in switch. Set LO 5150/10750 in the receiver. When you use a dual LO in the receiver it operates the 22khz switch automatically. Lower frequencies= off and Higher frequencies = on. With a C/Ku the CBand it's off and the Ku it's on. With a Universal KU the LO 9750 = Off and the LO 10600 = On. You cannot change the switching to the opposite way. You shouldn't activate more than one 22khz switched device at a time. So you can't use a C/Ku LNBF or a Universal KU behind a 22khz switch or a Multi-switch that inputs more than one satellite/lnb. If you tell the First strike there is a Universal LNB on it will operate the 22khz automatically

Ok Thanks. I think I've got it. Since this LNBF is a standard- C/KU and seems to have a built in switch then I leave the First Strike 22K set to "off" because it's automatic. No need to set it to "On" to search KU. Hope I've finally got this right.

Reactions: Magic Static
Ok Thanks. I think I've got it. Since this LNBF is a standard- C/KU and seems to have a built in switch then I leave the First Strike 22K set to "off" because it's automatic. No need to set it to "On" to search KU. Hope I've finally got this right.
If the First Strike offers a selection for C/Ku or LO 5150/10750 then it's automatic, if not than when scanning KU you manually set to ON

And another thought : I'm not sure if you are having any issues but there have been some issues noted when using a C/Ku LNBF with a built-in switch and a microHD. But that was in the motor control operation. The solution was to use an external 22khz switch and not the built in one.

Reactions: Lone Gunman
With the First Strike one of the entries is LO: . So if I'm searching C-band I enter 5150 and for KU 10750. There is no double selection for C/KU or LO 5150/10750 but you just enter a LO. @ the risk of being redundant: so I just leave 22k on the meter off because it will be automatic?

With the First Strike one of the entries is LO: . So if I'm searching C-band I enter 5150 and for KU 10750. There is no double selection for C/KU or LO 5150/10750 but you just enter a LO. @ the risk of being redundant: so I just leave 22k on the meter off because it will be automatic?
OK then there is no automatic 22khz control in the First Strike. You have the option of hooking directly to each portion of the LNBF and not using the switch (22khz off) or connecting as the receiver does and selecting 22khz ON when scanning Ku frequencies, 22khz off for C-Band.

I like using a channel list to set my meter up to a "dish". Here, I spend the time to enter every bit of information associated with the dish/lnbf combo I am going to work on. The system I will be putting in, and the equipment listed determines the list that I throw onto my FS-1se; and it does almost lock every second the meter is hooked up to the dish. I ensure myself by entering into the list the satellites and tp's I go to receive accordingly the dish/lnbf...; the SW is a receiver multi-dish/multi-lnbf selection required for it to scan correctly all the meter aimed for it; made by the receiver I put in to control them. The changes that occur over time make the list change; but not any missed "stakes" each part of the system is. A 22 Khz. SW powers (sends dc) to both on and off at the same time. A diseq SW only sends dc to one or the other it selects. The tones used are different; but a couple of tones in the diseq "set" are very close to 22 khz.; and may trigger a 22 khz as they move by it (. This is debated. The only lnbf's with 22 khz builtin's are the international (universal ku band typical) or c/ku typed lnbf's with 22 khz. is on or off 22 khz. Then the 22 khz SW tone in the FS-1se is on or off according to the satellite it must receive its signals from is aiming at. If I test an old directv with SW; when testing to the SW, it can be on or off accordingly (per satellite selected for test). Before the signals go to the SW; it does not matter.

Last edited:
Little tip for you Slider. If you'll notice, most of us have the equipment we use listed in our signature. This will help others help you by letting them know what you are using when you ask questions.

I have one hooked up, how it works is not I M sorry; i do not care why mine does work; i only would care if it didn't work. All of the many forum's my signature is my own ally. The equipment list is long ago gone over in the reaction to why it does work is called a channel list. That is the receiver you are using has the control of the 22 khz. SW...

What I do notice after update is the channel list can also change into bad data and cause my channels not to work. Like updating during a wind storm; you all must be kidding. And if the channel list does not work, scan it after you set-it-up for use. IM watchin CBS and 60 minutes.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.