Can I add another external hard drive for free?

lwh1993

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
I have one external hard drive on my 722 and would like to add another hard drive to my 722 downstairs, is that free or am I charged again? Is it possible?

You can add multiple EHD's to the same receiver without a problem (I have two). There was no additional charge to add the 2nd EHD (except for the cost of the EHD (of course).

The one-time activation fee for DVR EHD archiving covers all ViP DVRs on the account and you can have as many drives as you like and move them from one receiver to another as often as you want.

I have 4 or 5 EHDs in use, moving between two ViP722 HD DVRs. Only paid the one $40 fee.

Everything works and is recognized by both units.

The one-time activation fee for DVR EHD archiving covers all ViP DVRs on the account and you can have as many drives as you like and move them from one receiver to another as often as you want.
Not quite correct. EHD's are interchangeable for the 622/722 DVR's on one account but not with the 211/211K. The 211/211K require a separate EHD activation and is not swappable with 622/722's.

Actually quite correct. I specified "ViP DVRs" which means ViP non-DVRs such as the 211 and 211K are excluded.

While the info you added is correct, it doesn't apply to the question asked where the user has two 722 DVRs.

Although there are front and back USB ports only one drive can be used on each VIP DVR at a time. I have 6 external and 2 raw drive that share a stand--the way I will go now. They vary from .75 to 1.5 TB each. This is for 2 722s. Just be sure your recorder is finished with the drive before pulling the UBS or AC plugs, use DVR+4+2 to check
(Note: drive makers use powers of 1000, Dish and computers use 1024. Thus a 750*1000^3 holds 730*1024^3 bytes.)
-Ken

I think once you pay the "one-time" activation fee on your account you can use your EHD on any of your receivers (that has the EHD functionality).

I paid the one-time fee when it was first made available (had two 622's at the time) and last week I swapped out my 622 with a 722 and called Dish and asked if I still had the EHD service on my account and if I could use my EHD to move the video off my 622 and they said I did and that I could connect an EHD to any of my receivers. Because I had some unwatched video still on the 622 I hooked up my EHD to it and copied the videos to it then connected the EDH to the 722 and moved the videos over to it.

At the same time I swapped out my 622 I also removed a 222 receiver from my account and replaced it with a 211k. I then hooked up the EHD to the new 211K and got a message saying that the EHD had to be reformatted because it was last used on a 622/722. After it reformatted I got the message to call to have the service activated which I did. Next day I noticed I had the $40 activation fee on my account so I called Dish and told them what happened. They confirmed I paid the activation fee some time ago and said I shouldn't have been charged the new activation fee so they credited my account.

With that said, I think the "one-time" EHD activation fee is on the account and not by receiver type.

I think once you pay the "one-time" activation fee on your account you can use your EHD on any of your receivers (that has the EHD functionality).

I paid the one-time fee when it was first made available (had two 622's at the time) and last week I swapped out my 622 with a 722 and called Dish and asked if I still had the EHD service on my account and if I could use my EHD to move the video off my 622 and they said I did and that I could connect an EHD to any of my receivers. Because I had some unwatched video still on the 622 I hooked up my EHD to it and copied the videos to it then connected the EDH to the 722 and moved the videos over to it.

At the same time I swapped out my 622 I also removed a 222 receiver from my account and replaced it with a 211k. I then hooked up the EHD to the new 211K and got a message saying that the EHD had to be reformatted because it was last used on a 622/722. After it reformatted I got the message to call to have the service activated which I did. Next day I noticed I had the $40 activation fee on my account so I called Dish and told them what happened. They confirmed I paid the activation fee some time ago and said I shouldn't have been charged the new activation fee so they credited my account.

With that said, I think the "one-time" EHD activation fee is on the account and not by receiver type.

You got LUCKY, plain and simple. The 211 does indeed require a separate activation fee. And BTW, it will not be interchangeable with your 722.

I have a USB hub I plan to set up, with 3 EHDs. So long as only one is powered on at a time, this should work fine and be convenient. Maybe I'll set this up today.

(Note: drive makers use powers of 1000, Dish and computers use 1024. Thus a 750*1000^3 holds 730*1024^3 bytes.)
-Ken
That is 698*1024^3 not 730, sorry.
For some others: 1TB=1000^4 is 931*1024^3 and 1.5TB=1500*1000^3 is 1397*1024^3, all approximate.

-Ken

Last edited:
Not quite correct. EHD's are interchangeable for the 622/722 DVR's on one account but not with the 211/211K. The 211/211K require a separate EHD activation and is not swappable with 622/722's.

He stated "EHD archiving". The key word is ARCHIVING not recording, so he was quite CORRECT.

Clarification for those who did not know:
There are 2 types of EHD features provided by Dish and each requires its own separate one-time fee to paid:

1.EHD archiving for HD DVR boxes. This feature allows the transfer of completed recordings between the DVR and the external HDD, but no recording of live programs to the EHD. A one-time fee must be paid for this feature to be activated.

2.EHD DVR recording to external HDD for "non-DVR" HD boxes such as the ViP 211 (K). This feature allow the connection of an external HDD that will turn the "non-DVR" box into a functioning DVR by allowing recordings of live programs to be laid down on the external HDD just as if it were installed in the box. Obviously, no archiving possible. This feature requires a separate one-time fee for DVR feature to be activated.

So the two EHDD services are 1. Archiving for DVR HD boxes and 2. DVR recording for "non-DVR" boxes, and because each is a separate feature, they each require separate one-time fees.

Last edited:
Very clear, thanks.

One final question then. Can a hard drive connected to a 722 with 'archiving' purchased be moved to a 222 with 'recording' purchased w/o reformatting? (and the other way around)

The intent being that if I record a show on one of them, could i move that hard drive to the other to watch it on a different tv?

So are the EHD's interchangeable on the 612 as well? Thinking of swapping one of my 622's for a 612 once they stop giving us the $5/month off.

I'm assuming it is, just looking for verification.

Very clear, thanks.

One final question then. Can a hard drive connected to a 722 with 'archiving' purchased be moved to a 222 with 'recording' purchased w/o reformatting? (and the other way around)

The intent being that if I record a show on one of them, could i move that hard drive to the other to watch it on a different tv?

No. The "2" series ViP receivers have a different system, since they do not have internal HDDs. I don't think the 222 has this option anyway.

But you can move EHDs between ViP units that have internal HDDs. The ViP922 currently will only read, but we're "assured" that it will have full read/write capability "soon." Or, eventually.

I got a new WD EXT HDD and had no idea they where going to want 40$ for "me" to hook it up. Has anybody started a lawsuit about this crap fee?!?! Looking for a way around it now but telling Dish this is crap will only have them disable the drive. :(. Other than moving a PC behind the TV I am hitting a brick wall though ugh. Thanks again Dish for sucking me dry :(.

There is nothing new or deceitful going on. There is complete information on the Dish site and it has been common knowledge here for nearly two years.

There is nothing new or deceitful going on. There is complete information on the Dish site and it has been common knowledge here for nearly two years.

So on that PC you using. I'm going to charge you a 40$ fee for adding more ram because I wrote the code for the BUS.

BTW I told you last year I was going to do this with a pigeon.

Sorry Dish.....Feeing the crap out of people is not going to help your sales numbers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)