Can I receive Apstar 2R from San Francisco / Bay Area ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

genius5000

Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
washington
hello there

just a quick question to you all : Can I receive Apstar 2R (76.5°E / C-Band) from San Francisco/Bay Area ?

your inputs greatly appreciated.

G

No can do.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

hey thanks for your quick reply.

so its not possible to receive any FTA satellites from asia or europe from the west coast or east coast of USA ??

166 E is the only one we got in Socal due to the earths curve ( Damb Columbus) on East cost some euro birds can be had but it depends on how big your dish is 10' + 20'+ is better and your location. satbeams.com is a good spot to look for beam maps but some can be had out side what it should be at diffrent times of the year if your elivation is not negitive.

thx rocket69.

just out of curious ...
what does this mean "The EIRP values are for California, United States"
when i read this (HERE) i thought it would be possible receive it :)

thx rocket69.

just out of curious ...
what does this mean "The EIRP values are for California, United States"
when i read this (HERE) i thought it would be possible receive it :)

Probably somebody here smart enough to know how it actually works but my hillbilly explanation is...Somehow your browser/Lyngsat picks up on your location and places that info on the page.

I see the same stuff (with info that is fairly close to my physical location) on my screen when I view a Lyngsat page.

If you don't have line of sight above the horizon it is impossible for your dish to "see" a satellite.

Satellites are in geosynchronous orbit. This means they orbit the Earth at the exact rotation speed of the Earth. Their orbital time is therefore 24 hours. That is why a dish pointed at one spot in the sky receives signals from that satellite day or night. They are parked directly over their longitude on the equator. The 72.5 E satellite is parked basically over Islamabad Pakistan. San Francisco is on the other side of the globe.

I am in Southern Cal and can get from 55.5 west to 166 west. If I didn't have a mountain there, I might be able to reach 180 west. I believe as you go further north, you can theoretically see more of the arc with the north or south pole being able to see all satellites east and west. At San Fran. you basically can't get anything over the eastern hemisphere.

I am not being a nerdy claven. I just need to write this down every so often so I can relearn it. Thanks for listening.

This is a fascinating topic. So if I dump my Directv in favor of my own SAT setup. I will not be able to get any European channels with C-Band dish? How about out of market? Say ABC/CBS etc east of the Rockies? Chicago, NYC....I'm not looking to get premium channels or movies. Just news etc out of my area.....
I haven't had much luck with OTA FTA research, and the Wife does not want an ugly antennae on the roof.
I would get a BUD since I have an area in the back yard that is large enough for it, and is 'tucked away'.
But only if it would allow me to secure more far reaching channels....

My location is Sacramento, CA.

Mark

Last edited:
Ses @87w as long as you have an mpeg4 receiver has a lot of the local town news channels. Basically all of them

You can definitely get ABC, NBC, CBS and a whole bunch of other stuff. I am in the far west also and can get all of that with a C band (big dish) setup. If you have good sight lines to the arc (Clarke Belt), you should be able to get from in the 70s west to 139 west.

The key is to keep your investment low. Look for a big dish (solid spun aluminum first choice, small hole mesh in good condition second choice) with a little dish mounted nearby. This usually means that the owner has abandoned his big dish in favor of the expensive convenience of Dish or Directv. I have gotten two good C band big dishes this way for free. Half the time they just want to get rid of the big dish. Best to also get any old receivers, actuators, lnbs. Keep costs down.

Then post here about what you have and the good members here will get you going in the right direction.

Average cost to set up? Maybe $500, but people have done it for half that - so five to ten months and you are in the black.

When I had Dish and Directv before, I found I was watching maybe ten of the channels. With them, you learn nothing, own nothing, and pay monthly for the privilege.

Good luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts