Can you use a diseqc switch for slaving off two receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
Hi All,

Is it possible to use a diseqc switch when slaving between two receivers with DvbDream and my Skystar 2? The settings allow for a diseqc switch to be used.

I want to slave to the Pansat for C-Band, and slave to the Coolsat 5000 for Ku because the Primestar dish which the Coolsat will be hooked to gets much better reception on Ku than the BUD.

I do realize that whichever receiver it is hooked to will control the polarity and dish movement.

Thanks,

Fred

Hi Fred, I don't know if this will help? But:
http://www.dmsiusa.com/add_a_receiver.htm
using this diagram and changing the splitters to 4x1 with one port power passthrough, with the power passthrough port going to the master unit for each of the C-band and ku-band. And with the diseqc switches, change the ones in the diagram to 4x1 switches. Doing this I'm able to feed my 4dtv from my BUD and using the other ports to feed diseqcs for my Pansat, Quali-tv, and Twinhan 102g from the C-band, and feeding diseqcs for my Pansat, Coolsat, and Twinhan 102g from the ku-band. I also have 2 other ku dishes mastered by the Pansat and Coolsat, that are also fed into the variuos diseqc switches for the Quali-tv and the Twinhan 102g. Don't know if this is what you're looking for or not? Good Luck!

Al

Hi Fred, I don't know if this will help? But:
http://www.dmsiusa.com/add_a_receiver.htm
using this diagram and changing the splitters to 4x1 with one port power passthrough, with the power passthrough port going to the master unit for each of the C-band and ku-band. And with the diseqc switches, change the ones in the diagram to 4x1 switches. Doing this I'm able to feed my 4dtv from my BUD and using the other ports to feed diseqcs for my Pansat, Quali-tv, and Twinhan 102g from the C-band, and feeding diseqcs for my Pansat, Coolsat, and Twinhan 102g from the ku-band. I also have 2 other ku dishes mastered by the Pansat and Coolsat, that are also fed into the variuos diseqc switches for the Quali-tv and the Twinhan 102g. Don't know if this is what you're looking for or not? Good Luck!

Al

Hey Al,

I have the Hi-Freq splitters in the diagram above which feeds my Pansat and Legacy analog receiver now. I have the P* dish running straight to my other Pansat (will be replaced by a Coolsat soon) which feeds it.

I think your idea would work great, but was thinking that using the IF out on each receiver to port 1 and 2 on a diseqc switch then out to the SkyStar 2 would accomplish the same thing. I am pretty sure the IF out on these receivers is DC blocked, so whatever is sent out by the SkyStar 2 would go to the diseqc switch for choosing Ku or C-Band, and never get past the STB, and they would control dish movement, and polarity.

DvbDream gives you the option of choosing ports on a diseqc switch, and I thought that might be an easy way to do it. Kind of like an A/B switch except electronically controlled. :D

Thanks for the idea, and if I do further expansion, will consider the 4-way splitters.

Fred

I am pretty sure the IF out on these receivers is DC blocked, so whatever is sent out by the SkyStar 2 would go to the diseqc switch for choosing Ku or C-Band, and never get past the STB, and they would control dish movement, and polarity.

If someone know differently about the above statement, please correct me.

Thanks,
Fred

Thanks Anole,

I do have a voltmeter, unfortunately I am not an electronics repairman, and wouldn't know where to begin trying to test something like that. :D

Fred

I sent these questions off to Pansat and Coolsat tech support.

Is the loop out IF port on the Pansat 3500 DC blocking when not in standby mode?
Will it pass through when in standby mode?
Thank you for the information,

Got this back from Pansat Tech support a bit ago. A little hard to interpret, but I think it means yes.
Yes either you use or standby , it passes signal.

Now to hear from Coolsat. I think it is probably like the Pansat. :D

Just got this from Coolsat Tech Support.

Hi,

Is the loop out IF port on the Coolsat 5000 DC blocking when not in standby mode? Yes, I just checked.

Will it pass through when in standby mode? Yes, I just checked.

Thank you
Coolsat Customer Service

So all I have to do now is give it a shot. :D

Well I thought I would update this thread.

I put the diseqc switch in place, and it works fine.

I have C-Band slaved off the Pansat and the 10' BUD and Ku slaved off the Coolsat 5000 and P* 84e dish.

It works flawlessly.

I even setup the VLC broadcasting and am watching an HD movie on my desktop in the office.

All on DvbDream. Even with the video streaming I am only using about 50% CPU usage.

WooHoo!!! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts