Cancelled VOOM, may or may not be VOOM's fault

svx94

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
I have no problem with VOOM programming, and in fact very happy with what I got. But as I mentioned in one of my earlier post, the installer never ground the dish, and finally, lighting hit us...

I am in a process that asking InstallInc. to pay for all the damage, and VOOM promised to help. But unfortunately, my wife can't stand the dish on roof and I have to cancel VOOM.

I wish VOOM success and keep the HD program coming and price down. Also, my big thanks to this forum for the information and fun. Good luck everyone!

Check you grounding!

Attachments

• DSCN2152s.jpg
    DSCN2152s.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 216
  • DSCN2158s.jpg
    DSCN2158s.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 230
What all did it kill?

I'm having to get the installer back out to ground ours. It was just installed today.

Grounding is a requirement of the electrical code. Contact your state inspector and file a complaint against your installer. He broke the law by not properly grounding your system.

QUOTE=svx94]I have no problem with VOOM programming, and in fact very happy with what I got. But as I mentioned in one of my earlier post, the installer never ground the dish, and finally, lighting hit us...

I am in a process that asking InstallInc. to pay for all the damage, and VOOM promised to help. But unfortunately, my wife can't stand the dish on roof and I have to cancel VOOM.

I wish VOOM success and keep the HD program coming and price down. Also, my big thanks to this forum for the information and fun. Good luck everyone!

Check you grounding![/QUOTE]

svx94 said:
I have no problem with VOOM programming, and in fact very happy with what I got. But as I mentioned in one of my earlier post, the installer never ground the dish, and finally, lighting hit us...

Geez...really sorry to hear that...it must have been very scary! I had a bad install, and was not grounded, but after reading here about grounding, I got a service call and got mine grounded.

I hope you'll post back about how much help you get from Installs and Voom.
Best of luck to you! :love
Vicki

I feel like I should know the answer to this question, but having satellite for the first time, how do I tell if it's grounded for sure? :confused:

Neutron said:
What all did it kill?...QUOTE]

Here is the list,

Furance, Denon 3803 receiver, VCRs, all computers/laptop's ethernet cards, cable modem and router... around 3K damage.

scottie_h said:
I feel like I should know the answer to this question, but having satellite for the first time, how do I tell if it's grounded for sure? :confused:

I'm getting Voom to ground mine since the installer forgot to, but with my Directv system they did ground it. You should see a small green wire coming from your dish mount going to a grounding block. Mine attaches to the same grounding block as my telephone is hooked up.

scottie_h said:

I am not an expert to give you a good answer. I went up to the roof and see no wires except the cable. So I called Voom to check it up, but the lighting came first...

svx94 said:
Neutron said:
What all did it kill?...QUOTE]

Here is the list,

Furance, Denon 3803 receiver, VCRs, all computers/laptop's ethernet cards, cable modem and router... around 3K damage.

Voom not being grounded did all that????

Neutron said:
Voom not being grounded did all that????

It is hard to believe for me too. There is a burning mark on the mount of the OTA as well as the dish signal module. The cable from the dish to the receive got burned and becomes useless. The lighting caused a surge, hit the voom receiver, and pass the surge to the power system though the power cord... That is the only explanation I can get.

Forgot to mention that several of our neighbors got hit by the surge too.

A coworker had a car crash into a power pole next to his house and it knocked out almost every electronic device in his house, including his Dish 811. Luckily, his Hitachi 65" RPTV was spared. It was a MAJOR power spike that ran through his circuits when the accident happened. His AV gear was protected by a surge suppressor (except the 811) but his fridge, range and several other major appliances bit the dust. Yes, the driver's insurance picked up the tab.

Sorry you had this happen, just one question:
But unfortunately, my wife can't stand the dish on roof and I have to cancel VOOM.
Who wears the pants in the family? Oh, I know, you do, but she tells you how to wear them. ;-)

DarrellP said:
Sorry you had this happen, just one question: Who wears the pants in the family? Oh, I know, you do, but she tells you how to wear them. ;-)

It is democratic country, man! Between PlayboyHD and a happier wife, the choice was an easy one.

But I am very depressed about moving back to cable. It is history going backward, and I don't watch TV much any more...

Is grounding made to help the dish not get struck in the first place? Or is it for if it does get struck? Anyway, from what I've heard, a lighting strike anywhere near your house, even if it hits something that's grounded, will take out all kinds of electrical equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts