Can’t Find 58w or 55w

FTA4PA,

I actually did that and bumping 4-5 counts either way gave me these transponders. Very strong signal...wherever it is.

John

FTA4PA,

I actually did that and bumping 4-5 counts either way gave me these transponders. Very strong signal...wherever it is.

John
Well, I'm at a loss then for an answer. I would go over there myself and give it a go but I am currently working on my motorized dish and it is not in service. Shame too as I have 58W programmed in and could easily go east/west of it until I got these then let you know how close you are. :(

Hopefully someone else can do the same and help you get this sorted out. Good Luck!

Reactions: JFOK
A little later on slot 2 with my new openATV 7.0 install. Yeah. I know. It's a beta. But what the hay, bells and whistles running after a little trial and error...and coffee!
Okay. So I have 58 zeroed in as strong as it gets. ASC-1 position stored.
Bump the dish West until I get signal loss on the banner. 10 clicks did it.
Go to blind scan. Look at photo a. Note: I did change 3400 to 3000 because I have a wideband LNBF.
Scan1. Still picking up 58 W channels/transponders. Bump 10 clicks West. Blindscan for channels again. Channels! Not tp's.
Nothing. Nada. Dead.
Another 10 clicks West on the ASC1. Blindscan channels again. Look at pic B.
In my Last Scanned boo-kay I click on a channel and peak for signal on my beloved transformer varnish stinky boat anchor the ASC-1. So. Who is this guy?
TVROSAT...search for channels. Nope. Lyngsat, Satbeams? Nope not really up front.
Google? Search <insert channel here + "satellite">.
Bang. A couple of results show 61 West Amazonas 2/Amazonas 3. Must be it.
55 W is kind of hard for me to find. Found it in a few minutes this way instead of flopping it over towards Bangers and chips and Guiness land.
Did I say Guiness? Good idea!!
Tweaks. Open the satellites.xml and prune out every satellite not in your arc AFTER you first save it someplace safe.
Scanned xml's can be opened in ftp and saved and copy/pasted into the respective satellites.xml file section on the box. I don't really know why. But you can. My receiver doesn't actually scan on frequency. I guess 3799 is close enough to 3780, etc.
If IC-R8600 owners experienced this they would whine more than they do about not having 1 Hz VFO tuning.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 178
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 184
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 184
cyberham,

Thanks for the reference, but I cant see that low. Although I didn’t try, I could probably see down to 50w, but thats for another time.
Thanks for the suggestion.

John

Hi all,

In my continuing quest to find 55w and 58w, I found these 16 and 32 aspk transponders in the general vicinity of these two satellites last night. Does anyone know what satellite I was on ? Even though my stb found them, it wouldn’t “ load” them.
I’m attaching a photo of last night’s find.
Just ignore the 58w heading in the photo.
Thanks in advance.View attachment 152803

John
hey John were you able to lock in on 58w and 55w? The Comedy Channel on Strong TP 58w 4120v 30000 and MTV on 55w 4177 v 30000 and Sports Max on 55w 4139 v10000.

Need2learn,

Haven’t found either one yet.
Will try again tonight. I just don't want to burn out my ASC1 or Venture arm looking for them.
Thanks for asking.

John

I don't know what satellite that is, as the lowest I can go right now is 55w. BUT, I do know an 8ft dish likely doesn't have enough signal to ever scan in a 16apsk channel. You'd need at least a 10 footer, and even then it's IFFY.

Hi all,

Success !!!
These two satellites were way the hell up there. After starting at a count of 460, I worked my way down to 400 with no luck.
Then I figured I might as well go all the way up to 500, still well within my eastern limits. Thats where I found 55w. After fine tuning to 497 I scanned it in. Then I guessed at 58w and found it at 472. I fine tuned it to 469 and scanned.
Thanks to all of you who stayed with me on this.
Much appreciated.

John

Reactions: k.r. and FTA4PA
Hi all,

In my continuing quest to find 55w and 58w, I found these 16 and 32 aspk transponders...
Let's review the evidence. We know you are not on the following satellites:
47.5W or east: Too far for your dish. Anyway, 47.5W is circular.
53W: Circular. Anyway, can't be or you would scan in other recognizable channels.
55W: Can't be or you would scan in other recognizable channels.
58W: Can't be or you would scan in other recognizable channels.

I think arlo is correct: 61W Amazonas. I see some of these frequencies listed as data tps in BSD Portal for that satellite. It is linear. But you must not be exactly on 61W or you should see other recognizable tps that would scan in.

Added: Oops, too late. Good you found success!

Hi all,

Success !!!
These two satellites were way the hell up there. After starting at a count of 460, I worked my way down to 400 with no luck.
Then I figured I might as well go all the way up to 500, still well within my eastern limits. Thats where I found 55w. After fine tuning to 497 I scanned it in. Then I guessed at 58w and found it at 472. I fine tuned it to 469 and scanned.
Thanks to all of you who stayed with me on this.
Much appreciated.

John
Congratulations John! Perseverance pays off! :D

Success !!!
These two satellites were way the hell up there.

Congratulations!
So way further, than you thought?

I had thought about suggesting to you to find the satellites, by calculating your needed actuator length; as the pulsecount isn't linear across the arc.
Method for that calculation is indicated here: USALS for BUDs:
Elaborated a bit with equations, here: Design for a Positioner with DiSEqC Decoder
But as there was not much interest in the method, I didn't continue the work on it. And didn't suggest the method to you.

For situations like yours, it would have helped, though!
So I might think of suggesting that method more often in future, I think...

But for now: Enjoy reception!

Greetz,
A33

Reactions: k.r. and JFOK
Hi all,

In my continuing quest to find 55w and 58w, I found these 16 and 32 aspk transponders in the general vicinity of these two satellites last night. Does anyone know what satellite I was on ? Even though my stb found them, it wouldn’t “ load” them.
I’m attaching a photo of last night’s find.
Just ignore the 58w heading in the photo.
Thanks in advance.View attachment 152803

John
That's a lot of 16 and 32APSK transponders with weird symbol rates. I wonder if they might all be data services. There are other satellites nearby that don't carry TV, like Intelsat 23 at 53W and Intelsat 9 and 902 at 50W.

58W should be easy to find. Here's what I do: use dishpointer.com or their app to figure out the correct direction and make sure your dish is pointing that way. Choose the NHK transponder on 58W at 4160H. It has an FEC of 1/2, which means half of all bits are error correction. It's incredibly resilient and DVB-S. It's the easiest of all the transponders to pick up.

Then hunt around for it. Best to take a receiver and TV out to the dish and you can eye ball when you're pointed in roughly the correct direction, pull and push the dish up and down to see if you're off the arc, then move the dish a few clicks and try the up and down tugging again. You should be able to see the signal meter move when you hit NHK.

If you're in the vicinity and getting these transponders, you're obviously not too far off though. Have you visually checked the dish direction from behind and verified it's pointing where you think it should be?

Reactions: arlo
You and I think alike. Ironically, I can't receive 58W due to footprint and my little 1.2m dish. Yet I do receive 47.5W and 40.5W. JFOK is happy: he found both 58W and 55W.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Yeah, i saw the "congratulations" posts as soon as I sent my long list of too-late-to-be-helpful instructions. I should have reloaded the thread but happy for him!

Too bad you do get NHK. I had a horrendous time even finding 58W in my new place (rented) due to trees. I moved right across the country and ended up looking at less sky than in the west. Hopefully I'll move soon and find a place with clear view of the arc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)