Can't find tp Freq 11842

You don't have to have subscriptions to the applications you buy to use. You just have to have a premium plan for all the navigation, browsing features. These plans run from $100 on UP!.

No. I am not an expert. Brian would know more than me.

Applications are usually downloaded and then you don't have to pay to use them. Some cost more than others to download. These apps can only run on certain smart phones like the Iphone, Droid, etc. In order to use downloaded apps, you need one of these phones and the cell service to use them is a premium cell service, which is rather expensive.

My plain razor phone won't do any of that. My cell service for 2 phones is about $70 per month. A smart phone and premium service would cost well over $120 per month. I

have seen some of the things these phones do and it is fantastic. My son has a DroidX. What Brian mentioned, I have seen demonstrated on stars, etc. So it is a simple thing to have the earth's satellites in there too. You don't need any other tools to know just where any satellite is in the sky. You still need a meter to home in on the signal. The dishpointer shows you immediately a good location for the dish.

I used 12152 SR 20000 and it brought in AMC-1 NBC Feeds (am watching the NBC Nightly News right now on it). It is not unique to 97W at least with the First Strike meter.

I used 12152 SR 20000 and it brought in AMC-1 NBC Feeds (am watching the NBC Nightly News right now on it). It is not unique to 97W at least with the First Strike meter.

Ahhhhh, but remember... The skew on AMC1 KU is 25 degrees out of normal setting due to a hardware failure on the satellite. You are receiving this frequency on AMC1 because the skew has been adjusted very far out of rotation from a normal skew position to allow for the deviation caused by the malfunctioning AMC1 KU satellite. If the LNBF skew is set to a normal position the AMC1 transponder will not lock.

Example: Here in N. California, G19 KU skew is -27.12, but AMC1 KU skew is approximately +4 degrees. The 31 degree skew mismatch severely attenuates the signal on frequency 12152 H 22000 and the transponder does not lock.

An Update

Hi.

I have been busy the past few days. I'll report on 4 systems I am responsible for.

1. Home: This was the first site to find the small sweet spot for G19. With First Strike, I was able to get this dish working the best of any here. I have high levels of sl/sq 75/70 on 11929, 12090, 12060, 12152; 75/60 on 12177, 11842; 75/50 on 12115, 11789; 75/40 on 12022; and 75/30 down to zero sq on 11966. Some of you may see a pattern here. I don't want to touch it for fear of losing what I have. The only channel I wish was better here is 12022, Life+Health.

2. Member N: This dish happened to find G19 with the Frist Strike, and the viewer is happy with the performance. I don't have specific tp levels like I do here at home.

3. Member P: This system is a newer GeoSatPro 200c located 20 miles northeast of Dublin in Wrightsville. It has many trees of concern. With thourough siting work, we feel very strongly we are looking at clear sky between trees. On Friday, I had First Strike reading sl/sq of 75/55 on multiple G19 tp settings, including 12152 H 20000. It did not lock. Looking through the 200c, signal quality readings were the same, but no lock - no video. The tech support folks at Glorystar suggested I was looking at the wrong satellite. I know that is possible. I noticed Brian's comment "The strongest Galaxy19 TP frequency that is not duplicated on any other satellite is 12152MHz, Polarity - Horizontal, SR - 20000." I panned and adjusted elevations for a long time trying to find another hit just east and slightly higher to no avail. I went west with 12060 H 26700 looking for 101W - nothing. I am stumped on this one.

4. The church. I went back and mounted scaffolding and connected the FS1 meter. Nothing. Connected the meter inside - nothing. I had had FS1 locked in this setting before. I looked at the dish/101W with the old Lifetime Ultra and was able to view many 101W (SES1) programs. Running low on time, I postponed the reposistioning of that dish for 97W. Will do that again soon and report.

Thanks again for your attention and support!!

Bill

3. First Strike reading sl/sq of 75/55 on multiple G19 tp settings, including 12152 H 20000. It did not lock. Looking through the 200c, signal quality readings were the same, but no lock - no video. The tech support folks at Glorystar suggested I was looking at the wrong satellite. I know that is possible. I noticed Brian's comment "The strongest Galaxy19 TP frequency that is not duplicated on any other satellite is 12152MHz, Polarity - Horizontal, SR - 20000." I panned and adjusted elevations for a long time trying to find another hit just east and slightly higher to no avail. I went west with 12060 H 26700 looking for 101W - nothing. I am stumped on this one.
As pointed out in another thread, 12152 is also found on 103W, but the bizzarre LNBF Rotation (Skew) on that satellite is at a minimum of +25 degrees from a correct LNBF Rotation on 97W. I suggest that you are actually on the 103W satellite and your skew may also be incorrectly set. Why not use the FS meter or a satellite receiver to scan and identify what satellite that you are on?

4. The church. I went back and mounted scaffolding and connected the FS1 meter. Nothing. Connected the meter inside - nothing. I had had FS1 locked in this setting before. I looked at the dish/101W with the old Lifetime Ultra and was able to view many 101W (SES1) programs. Running low on time, I postponed the reposistioning of that dish for 97W. Will do that again soon and report.

What is nothing? No Signal? No Quality? No Signal or Quality? This could be an Incorrect meter set-up? Bad coax or fitting?

Do you carry a known working spare LNBF? I would suggest that you always perform an installation or testing on service calls with a LNBF that you carry specifically in your kit and label it "TEST" only to be used for installs and a testing unit. I have wasted too much time trouble shooting failed or defective parts on a system that was according to the customer, "working yesterday before I moved it"! Working with a LNBF and receiver that you have verified in perfect working order and correctly programmed will greatly simplify your work and you will be able to quickly identify defective customer equipment. Your confidence will grow once you become familiar with your meter and understand the features and the knowledge that it is set-up and operating correctly.

You might also carry a spare DirecTV LNBF and know how to set-up your meter for these DTH services, so you can quickly identify and reference the strong Dish Network and DirecTV satellites.

The spectrum analyzer feature of a meter will also assist with looking at the 11.7 - 12.75 spectrum and quickly identify what satellites you are looking at. I.E. 101W is easily to located due to the weaker frequencies between 11.7 and 12.2 and the much stronger transponders between 12.2 and 12.75. Each satellite has a unique look to the spectrum display and if you are familiar with the "look" of the display for different satellites, you will quickly know what satellite you are pointed at even if the meter does not have adequate Signal Quality or the correct preprogrammed frequencies to provide a Signal Lock. Newbie techs with spectrum analyzers would often carry around a ring of screen shot photos for the satellites as primer cards to identify the satellites. Yes, a history lesson, but may help someone out there trying to reinvent the wheel!
wink.gif

"I suggest that you are actually on the 103W satellite and your skew may also be incorrectly set. Why not use the FS meter or a satellite receiver to scan and identify what satellite that you are on?"

Thank you, Glorystar1 for the question about 103W. I wasn't aware of that. And about the skew, I didn't have a taller ladder and could not exactly view the skew on the lnb. So.. That is a possibility. I will re-check. However, I panned well more than the 6 degrees east to look for G19. My son has a droidX and he is coming to visit and we will look for G19 with it there to be sure. Your question about using the receiver or FS meter to scan to see what satellite I am on ?? I am not aware of how I can do that. Please advise and I'll gladly try it.

"What is nothing? No Signal? No Quality? No Signal or Quality? This could be an Incorrect meter set-up? Bad coax or fitting?"

On the church location - - I am certainly not an expert, but I am gaining some habits, some good. One is that I know I am not hooked up if I don't have 50% or so of sl. No need to go further if I am not connected to a working lnb. When I wrote nothing, I meant 50% or so sl and 0-5 sq. I also cary extra lnb's. Not only was the existing lnb working, I checked with one of 3 known to be working receivers. This one was a lifetime ultra. I viewed History Channel, Bio, and many others. So I know the cable is good, the lnbf is good, the dish hasn't moved since installation 11 or so years ago to see AMC4.

More educational things. Thank you.

The suggestion that I temporarily hook up a Dish or Driect lnb to find their bird to reference where to go to find G19.. good idea. I have an old Dish500 here. I will see if I can rob an lnb from there. I have so much to learn. The 'look' of a specific satellite makes sense to me. I don't have any spectrum analyzer capability yet. I am guessing, but maybe each satellite will cause the usual tp frequencies I have in my FS to respond in a pattern specific to that satellite. We are hoping that since the church dish is firmly reading 101W, we should be able to pan east 4 degrees and hit on G19. We will then just install the new 1100c and be home free. If that dish won't re-aim, we will install the new Glorystar dish we have on hand.

There are three members wishing to install dishes in the near future. I am optimistic on catching up and getting everyon on line.

Thanks again for your history, etc. I'll keep you posted.

Bill

using the receiver or FS meter to scan to see what satellite I am on ?? I am not aware of how I can do that.

I apologize, I forgot that you had purchased the FS1. It cannot scan the satellite. You would need to use a GEOSATpro DSR100c/200c/DVR1100c, Fortec Star Mercury II or Lifetime Ultra receiver (Manhattans and Topfields can not Blind Scan a satellite and require manual entry of an active transponder).

On the GEOSATpro enter the Search Menu and select Blind Scan type in the Search Options then scan for ALL channels. This will scan the entire satellite and log any found channels. Reference the names of the channels found and Google (CHANNEL NAME) LYNGSAT. This will bring up the Lyngsat address page for that broadcaster (if it is a listed service) and display a list of satellites that the service is transmitted on. A factory reset will quickly erase the scanned channels after you determine what satellite you are on.

On the church location - - I am certainly not an expert, but I am gaining some habits, some good. One is that I know I am not hooked up if I don't have 50% or so of sl. No need to go further if I am not connected to a working lnb. When I wrote nothing, I meant 50% or so sl and 0-5 sq. I also cary extra lnb's. Not only was the existing lnb working, I checked with one of 3 known to be working receivers. This one was a lifetime ultra. I viewed History Channel, Bio, and many others. So I know the cable is good, the lnbf is good, the dish hasn't moved since installation 11 or so years ago to see AMC4.

This would indicate that the system is properly functioning for satellite 101w SES1, but the problem was likely with the set-up of the meter to recognize the SES1 satellite.

The suggestion that I temporarily hook up a Dish or Driect lnb to find their bird to reference where to go to find G19.. good idea. I have an old Dish500 here. I will see if I can rob an lnb from there.

I would use a Single DirecTV LNBF as they usually have a round neck that can fit into the 40MM LNBF clamp. Their are several styles, but many have a 38-40mm throat. Single Dish Network LNBFs are covered with a large plastic case that will not fit into the 40mm clamp.

I am guessing, but maybe each satellite will cause the usual tp frequencies I have in my FS to respond in a pattern specific to that satellite.

A weakness of the FS1 is that it uses transponders that can exist on several satellite to identify a satellite. We have noticed that it produces many false positive "IDs". Be careful when you rely only on this meter. If in doubt, connect to a known working and programmed receiver and verify that you have Signal Quality and programming displayed. You are correct, after a while you will determine what frequencies are best for find and peaking in your area.

We are hoping that since the church dish is firmly reading 101W, we should be able to pan east 4 degrees and hit on G19.

Remember that the number of degrees that a dish is panned or elevation changed when moving between the two satellites is based on the installation location. The actual compass reading difference between 101W and 97W is more like 6+ degrees and In your location (SE) the dish will need to be raised several degrees.

Good news!

Today, my son came with his DroidX/Satellite finder app, and took pictures of where 103W, 101W, and 97W are in the sky from the dish I have been working with. Exactly where I expected. I climbed a taller ladder and set everything and scanned higher and out of the blue, the FS1 locked (it never locked the last time I tried). I went inside and re-hooked the meter to the cable from inside - another lock. Hooked up the GeoSatPro 200c and had all channels! Since I had panned this exact area many times, I just feel it is illusive. The end result inside looking at the channels, was fantastic, just like Glorystar advertises!

Next, we'll put up ladders and a scaffolding plank to tackle the church's dish. As per previous posts, I'll certainly confirm the connections and hope for success. 3 church members want dishes set up at their houses. I still feel G19 is weak and in a very small sweet spot... But I know it is there.

Thanks again for all the support here.

Bill

Are you finding the 3ABN dishes peak about 6 degrees higher than the Glorystar as measuredon the lnb arm?
That is why I usually start off 5° + higher than the markings on the bracket than what it says I am supposed to be, but the older (repoints) are higher still...
POP

it is easier to lower the dish than to raise it, also.

Hi rv1pop.

I have now attempted 5 G19 finds. I don't feel the final point of lock on the bird is much higher that before. However, it is hard to know exactly. On every instance, I have moved from the 101W over such a long time and many MANY pans that the exact point for 101W is not apparent. The instructions indicate a white mark on the inner stucture. That is always covered by the flange on the bolt holding the elevation. I sheepishly admit that every time I have found G19 with 50% quality, I am so excited I just tighten bolts and celebrate with receiver programming. I don't even think about looking at where the final setting was.

My next move is to attempt to re-aim the very first dish I installed, a 3Abn dish that has been looking at 101W for 11 or so years. I know it is still correctly aimed because I can view many channels on SES1 @101W. I will try to accurately assess the exact elevation change required. That is assuming I can find the micro sized sweet spot where G19 resides from this area.

I plan to assemble scaffolding and attempt this re-aim on Wednesday afternoon.

I'll keep you posted.

Bill

If you have another dish, just like this one, use the magnetic inclinometer on the lnb arm and record that reading. also note the angle on some spot on the LNB if you can. Make that the rough elevation adjustment. Then pan over slowly and see if you can find it. That has worked better than blind chance for me. I at least "think I am close" for a place to start.

Yes, please keep me posted. As I told the local SDA pastor, "Every person you teach about the Love of Jesus is one I do not have to go after!"

rv1pop, I understand what you mean about going from a known elevation angle at 101W to the elevation for 97W. However: On three sites, we did the proscribed process of panning 4 degrees east to 97W and then up 2 degrees. We never found G19. Each time, we found ourselves lost in the blind search mode. I don't have a magnetic inclinometer. We didn't have the first strike meter until recently.

We have 2 dishes that are currently untouched since aiming at 101W. Now with current experience and the FS1, we are going to try to get 4 degrees east and search with up elevation. It seems the G19 signal is so hard to lock on due to all the suggested reasons on this thread. We should be able to move a dish from 101W to 97W to evaluate the difference. But,,, My interest is in locking on G19. Once I find it, I am so excited, I'm not touching the dish again. Tweaking is not a practical process here because it seems I either have a lock or I don't. It is that touchy.

We plan to try the next move tomorrow afternoon. It is an old 3Abn dish. We have a new dish to replace if necessary. One problem: the old mount has a larger mounting. We really dont' want to change the mount up on the church, under the eave. The old dish is still working fine on 101W. I'll let you know how it goes.

For the multiple re-aims to satellite Galaxy19, RV1Pops suggestion of using the LNBF support arm and an inclinometer (digital level) is an excellent suggestion as long as the pole/mast is currently perfectly plumb for the old SES1 (AMC4) installation.

A digital inclinometer is a very inexpensive tool. See these examples: eBay Items I use a free Stanley Tool Digital Level App for my iPhone that is extremely accurate.

Visit www.GeoSatFinder.com and print the "All Common Satellites" PDF. Calculate the elevation difference between SES1 (AMC4) and Galaxy19 for your region and write this number down. This elevation difference number will be the amount elevation change up/or down from the current dish position to receive Galaxy19. Example: here in California Galaxy19 is 1.9 degrees lower than SES1

Before moving the dish:

• Mark the Azimuth (left / right) position on the pole / mast and the post clamp.
  • Mark the Elevation angle on the Elevation Butterfly bracket and place the digital level on the LNBF support arm and write down the current angle.
  • Mark the current LNBF Skew (rotation) on the LNBF clamp.
Now it is time to adjust and move:

• Add or subtract the elevation angle difference that you wrote down earlier from the currently displayed angle on the digital level. Write this number down. This is the new calculated angle of the LNBF support arm for receiving Galaxy19 from your location.
  • Loosen the elevation hardware and while looking at the digital level, increase or decrease the elevation angle until the digital level shows the new calculated elevation angle for the LNBF support arm.
  • slightly loosen the screws securing the LNBF clamp. Rotate the LNBF Skew to the new setting provided on the GeoSatFinder website for Galaxy19 for your region.
  • View the signal meter tuned to Galaxy19, Transponder frequency 12152.
  • Slightly loosen the post clamp hardware and rotate the dish towards the East until the marks are separated by approximately 1/4". If the pole/ mast was installed plumb, the Signal Quality will be quickly displayed and the signal will lock on.

The key to great reception on Galaxy19 is both peaking and balancing the Signal Quality on several transponder frequencies. Find the satellite with transponder frequency 12152 then Peak AND Balance the Signal Quality using transponder frequencies 12115 and 11842 . The aiming process isn't about peaking the Signal Quality only on on one transponder frequency, but rather optimizing the dish aiming, LNBF rotation and LNBF forward/aft placement for Peak AND Balance on multiple transponder frequencies.

WOW! Now, that is what I'm TALKING ABOUT!! (a southern saying). This old dish was moved about 2-3 degrees (the markings on the dish are not that easy to read) up and slightly east and the FS1 locked almost immediately. This is the way satellite aiming should be. I have no idea why the other sites were so hard.

The 1100c is seeing all the Glorystar channels with 70% or higher quality. I found that the older recommended 500g usb hard drives are not in the main stream of volume sales, so if you can find one, the price is very high. If the Iomega FAT32 1t drive I ordered won't work, I will just use the small one that came with the dish and transfer files to the main computer.

We have some snowbirds who have returned from Michigan. Their dish hasn't been re-aimed. We'll attempt that one next. It is about 7 miles south east of here. Just maybe it will have a signal quality like we found today. Shore hope so.

Thanks everybody.

Two of the re-aims I had trouble with were because of warped dishes. Or warping the dish by moving it. If you move some older type adventist dishes by holding onto the rims they will warp. So the dish worked great on AMC-4 (unwarped or warped) but when moving to G19 it might get warped in the process. Move the dish by holding the dish bracket not the dish rim.

It seems to me that a warped dish would lock on the old AMC4 but the same dish will not lock on G19.

I tried reaiming a dish that was working on AMC4 to G19 for over 40 min. before I noticed the the dish was warped. After straighting the dish out I locked the G19 TP within seconds!

Yes, Laseradam. I have seen that as well. It seems that every small discrepancy that may diminish the quality of the received signal is far more hurtful to the G19 search. And, yes, the 3-4 years ago dishes without side bracing were prone to flex when you used the edge of the dish to pan. I have 3 of the new GeoSat dishes with side bracing and they are much better.

My friend and helper Bob really likes the sturdiness, etc of the OLD 3Abn dish that has been up for about 11-12 years. It is circular with an offset lnbf to operate on Ku band. I had my doubts about it, but it seems to be more rigid, etc. so yesterday's re-aim was absolutely perfect! and the FS1 meter made it so fast. It still has the origional lnb. It provides the strongest signal quality I've ever seen. -90%- sometimes.

The old AMC4/new SES1 is very much easier to find. Once I found G19, I have gotten 'useable' programming. Previous comments in this thread refer to the issues with 11842 on G19. I just wonder why the channels on this tp were available? There must have been a reason.

Thanks all, Bill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts