Can't find tp Freq 11842

Dr. Pepper 6044

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 10, 2010
South Georgia
Hello, The origional thread of this name is very old by now.

I've not been on here for a long time because I've been successful in all the G19 aims, thankfully!

The old thread still has all my stresses, as well as some others'.

I am stumped again. I'll describe below.

Similar to an install of a year and a half ago, I was faced with finding the satellite in a 'hole in the trees' in S.E. Georgia. An origional AMC4 install had been removed and a new WS dish had been installed in the same place unsucessfully. I tried to salvage that and could not get a sq above 10% or so. Checked the usual things, all seeming fine. I use a First Strike meter. I use an iPad with DishPointer. My son also has a satellite finder on an Android phone. Both show G19 right in an open space between the tall Georgia pines.

Last week, I got a new tripod speaker stand with very good, smooth azimuth adjustment. It also allows very fine adjustment of elevation by slightly tilting the post on the front legs. I put the old GS dish that caused so much stress before and after work, got quite good results 50% and higher sq on the tps we like. I took it to the lady's home and tried it on the post where the origional dish was. No sq over 10%. :-( Similar results in other locations in her back yard.

Yesterday evening I assembled a new Glorystar dish. I mounted it on my speaker stand. I set it beside the dish that finally hit on a lock back in 2010 and hasn't been touched since. (The history of this site is described in the old thread.) I locked almost immediately and hooked the cable into the house and had 55% and higher on all tps. Didn't finely tune.

This morning, I took the same new dish assembly and tripod and set it up in the driveway, away from the trees. Reconfirmed the G19 location with DishPointer. I searched and got only 10% or so sq. I tried in other places in the yard. Same result. I then put the new dish on the stand in the origional location and got similar poor readings. I put the 'new' ws dish back on the stand,, same low sq.

I left there and took my tripod stand and new dish to an open sky area about 2 miles away. It locked with good sq's on most tp's.

Bottom line: I have 2 GS dishes that can be set up at my home. One of them also sets up with good results in another location near the customer's home. (She lives 85 miles straight east of me.) All dishes check out for warpage with pulled tape. I've used 3 different lnbf's. Skew adjustments of the lnbf have only minimal effect. can find nowhere within her yard that shows any difference on my FS meter. I think that if the trees were a problem, the results would at least vary some with different positioning around the yard.

I have pictures of the DP search, the yard, and the dish setting. I will try to post them here from my iPad.

I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Brian, if you read this, I have some feedback on the new dish hardware and my last order experience. I may have overlooked the e-mail for sales at Glorystar.

Attachments

• email_satellite.jpeg
    email_satellite.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 219
  • image-3086342266.jpg
    image-3086342266.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 211
  • image-1970466348.jpg
    image-1970466348.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 206
  • image-1125325838.jpg
    image-1125325838.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 206
  • image-1865532292.jpg
    image-1865532292.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
I had issues finding it last year and what worked for me was after locking onto the other two frequencies that glorystar recommends I moved the dish to the right (facing the dish) slightly and 11842 came right in.

Did you access the target azimuth in the first picture with DishPointer? How did you get to that?

Let me clarify: I got good signals in 2 locations with one portable tripod dish/FS1. The other site (a customer's house) I could not get any 'lock' with 3 different dishes. In locations where I can get good signals, I do the 'balance' between 11842, 12152 and 12115(I think.. it is next in my meter).

The first picture is from my son's Android phone app. I don't know the name of it. The others were from DishPointger on iPad.

Thanks for a quick comment. I am not giving up. :)

I remember you being in WV.. Charleston is my home. My brother died 2 weeks ago and now, I have almost no reason to visit there anymore.

Later,

The compasses may be affected by a geo disturbance and you could be aiming incorrectly. I have been in a few locations where compasses were 20 - 30 degrees off and have wasted hours.....

Try an app on your iPad/iPhone called Mr. Sun. This app will calculate the sun azimuth and elevation at a given date and time. Calculate when the sun azimuth is aligned with the satellite position provided by the DishPointer app. Great tool to use the sun to verify the compass accuracy. Example: If satellite G19 is at 206W azimuth, see what time the sun will be at 206w azimuth. Be at the install location at that time to see if the sun is visible and the elevation of G19 is clear for the desired dish install location.

The compass on my iPhone has been wrong.....

Last edited:
Might want to make sure there are no metal objects around as well and perhaps go to different spots in the yard to see if dishpointer shows different results. I've noticed mine show a little different result around metal.

A few more thoughts.....

Since G19 is less than 10 degrees physically to the East and in your region 2 degrees higher than SES1, most likely the location of the customer's original dish might still work. Was the original location shooting through an extremely narrow window between the trees?

Have you tried receiving SES1 from the original position? If SES1 can be received, mark the mast and the elevation scale. Tilt the dish up 2 degrees and pan east about 7 degrees to receive G19. Sight up the lower LNBF arm. Is it aimed into the trees?

It would be a great reference to take a photo with DishPointer from directly behind the dish in the original dish location when aimed at SES1.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Thanks for your help and consideration.

I put Mr. Sun on my wife's iPad. I found that on the days I was there that the sun was at about 213 degrees and at a similar elevation as is G19. I will re-evaluate those numbers and times to be exact the next time I'm there. (85miles to the east)

One of the pictures above coincidently was taken when the sun was near the projected G19 location.

About magnetic compasses: My son said he had to recalibrate his compass in his android phone while taking the image displayed above. He feels this image is accurate. The DP designation agrees. I walked around the area with a Glorystar supplied compass and found it variable, but at the post site, it pointed 213 at the displayed window in the trees. .... Are all three compasses influenced by some extraneous magnetic field? This is a residential area. No known large industrial functions are nearby.

I walked around the yard with the iPad and found the G19 target consistently in the same area. I walked around the yard with my tripod mount and the new dish/lnbf/First Strike meter combination. The results were consistent everywhere I checked. There is a large open area across the street. I will try over there next time.

Yes, Brian, I'm attemptig to install the new dish on the exact post where the previous successful AMC4 dish was. It looks through the window in the trees displayed in the images above. I'm sure the trees have grown some since that install. I just don't understand why with a very smooth and wide sweeping tripod mount, I get the same results anywhere in the yard, some where the displayed G19 location is in wide open sky.

RE: Looking at the wrong satellite: At one point, I was panning well off my expected aim point and got good sq on one of the tp's I think 12177. I connected to the receiver inside the house. (WS supplied unit) No signal. I replaced it with a GeoSat 200c. It showed good sq, but no image. I think I was looking at another satellite with the same tp settings with different channel parameters. Please confirm for me a meter setting that is workable on 101W SES1 that is unique to 101W and not on 97W. I have f12060, sr26700 lo10750 and 13v V. Is there a handy way I can tune the Glorystar receivers to display a channel on101W?

Images 2&3 above are taken looking up the lnbf arm. Image 5 is looking up at the window in the trees from in front of the dish.

About the posted images: Image 2 shows a prolific magnolia limb that came down in front of the dish. I cut that limb off.

I'll be going back there soon and will post my findings.

Thanks!

Brian, what is an e-mail where I can comment on my last purchase from Glorystar and hardware changes?

Last edited:
About magnetic compasses: My son said he had to recalibrate his compass in his android phone while taking the image displayed above. He feels this image is accurate. The DP designation agrees. I walked around the area with a Glorystar supplied compass and found it variable, but at the post site, it pointed 213 at the displayed window in the trees. .... Are all three compasses influenced by some extraneous magnetic field? This is a residential area. No known large industrial functions are nearby.
Regional magnetic interference would likely affect all compasses used at that location. It could be as simple as iron ore in the ground, a nearby air conditioner, power line or transformer. I was suggesting verifying the previous SES1 aiming or Mr Sun to be used to verify the compass and DishPointer readings. The sun cannot tell a lie..... :D

I'm attemptig to install the new dish on the exact post where the previous successful AMC4 dish was. It looks through the window in the trees displayed in the images above.

Verify the window opening with Mr Sun or by re-aiming for SES1

RE: Looking at the wrong satellite: At one point, I was panning well off my expected aim point and got good sq on one of the tp's I think 12177. I connected to the receiver inside the house. (WS supplied unit) No signal. I replaced it with a GeoSat 200c. It showed good sq, but no image. I think I was looking at another satellite with the same tp settings with different channel parameters.
That is why we suggest using Glorystar channel 901 (12152MHz) for locating the satellite. This channel/transponder is unique will not provide a false reading on any other satellite as long as the polarity skew is approximately set.

Please confirm for me a meter setting that is workable on 101W SES1 that is unique to 101W and not on 97W. I have f12060, sr26700 lo10750 and 13v V. Is there a handy way I can tune the Glorystar receivers to display a channel on101W?
Go into the GEOSATpro advanced mode and select SES1 KU and transponder 12120 V 30000. This is a strong and unique transponder for SES1. Transponder 12060 is no longer active and would not give you a reading on SES1. You should delete it from your meter.

what is an e-mail where I can comment on my last purchase from Glorystar and hardware changes?
If you received two mast clamps with your previous order, use the mast clamp that was shipped outside of the assemble parts box on the LNBF arm. This clamp has the hole stamped "A" drilled in the center of the clamp and not the other clamp that has the hole "A" offset from the center. While both can be used, the clamp with the centered hole will be easier to align as the manufacturer had mistakenly offset this hole and it did not align correctly in the butterfly bracket.

Please email you comments and/or suggestions to either sales@glorystar.tv or support@glorystar.tv

Good luck!

Thank you Glorystar1.

I certainly respect the impact random issues of ferrous materials can have on any compass reading. I plan to go back to the Statesboro location on Wednesday. I'll time my visit to verify the azimuth aim direction with the sun and will try to find SES1. Thank you for the correct meter settings for finding 12152 on 97W and 12120 on 101W. Your counsel on searching is so correct. I have gotten lazy because I could find the satellite in areas where it is not as ELUSIVE as it is at my house. When I find a similar situation, I need this to go back to the basics. Again, Thank you!

I did notice 2 mast clamps, then evaluated the one I had chosen and felt it was correct. Your description of the difference confirmed I was right.

Wescopc.. Bob.. Thanks for the comments about DishPointer. I have been to the site you link to. I confirmed there the way points for my home as well as the one in Statesboro. Both maps don't place the point at the correct house. I'm uploading images of both locations. The second image is of my house in the lower right corner of the image. The indicated line of site for G19 originates down the road a ways but is quite parallel with where my functioning dish is pointed. The other image (customer's house) is also centered down the street, but aims at a very different azimuth from where the original AMC4 dish was pointed.

I have a serious issue to resolve.
A: The original AMC4 aimed dish looked one way into a small window in tall trees. Satellite finder in an Android phone and DishPointer in iPad both place G19 in the same window.
B: The DishPointer site aims the dish some 30 degrees to the west from the original. The current attempts to lock on either G19 or SES1 in the same window have been unsuccessful. (I'll try again with Brian's updated meter settings.)

I have work to do!!

Y'all stay with me. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, Bill

Attachments

• Capture114SouthEdgewood.jpg
    Capture114SouthEdgewood.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 208
  • Capture1112Jasmine.jpg
    Capture1112Jasmine.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Pepper,
When you find the location of the house/dish on DishPointer just click that spot and the program will relocate the balloon and azimuth line for you. Be sure you show 97W (G19) in the pull down window.
Bob

Thanks, Bob. You're so right. The resolution at the target location isn't good, and the trees cover up the house, but I can put the balloon where it should be and the azimuth, I'm quite sure, is not in the direction the old AMC4 dish was pointing. I did the same for my house. Resolution, etc. is better and the azimuth line is exactly right. I have a fixed dish there that works fine. I've set 2 other GS dishes there with my tripod speaker stand with good results.

I've printed the image of the target location and will take it with me tomorrow back to the site to see what I can do.

I'll keep you posted. Bill

Hi again. I went back today and found the sun well west of the area designaged by Android satellite finder and DishPointer on this iPad. Brian's suggestion about Mr. Sun pushed me to discard the history of an old AMC4 install and the above Utilities' results. I found the satellites (SES1 and G19). The specific transponder information he gave allowed me to find the still ELUSIVE G19.
I will reinstall a post and permanent dish.

I would love to use the Satelliteguys app. I JUST CAN'T NAVIGATE THERE!
I would also like to use DishPointer. Thieir app 'help' command sends us to SatelliteGuys. No response. Did I waste my $20? Does the app store help with apps who don't support their product?

Thanx Bill

Great to hear that this is just a magnetic issue and that you found the G19 satellite. Hate when mother nature pulls a fast one on us..... LOL!!!

Since all of your devices indicated the same magnetic information, it would seem that the issue is with a local magnetic disturbance and not an issue with the app. The DishPointer subforum is very active on SatelliteGuys and Alan anawers questions daily.

Edit: I read your post on the DishPointer forum and think that your blaming the app for what is likely local magnetic interference that affected all compasses in the 3 devices. Since you verified with the sun the correct azimuth, did you check with your regular mechanical compass? Was it accurate or not? Does the DP app indicate the correct direction at your home installation?

Last edited:
Yes, Mother Nature just stayed consistent and held to reality even though our newest technology failed. It was sobering just to walk into that yard and realize the sun was somewhere west of my earlier thought. The image posted before was just taken much earlier in the day. The difference is about 25 degrees. I did mention in an earlier post that the Glorystar supplied manual compass displayed some erratic readings in that yard. Today's reading with that compass away from the house/back yard pointed right at the sun.
I agree that the failure of DishPointer in that setting was not a defective app. I can't see the satellites here at home either. The settings of horizontal referrence and location don't hold. The selected satellites frequently change. I am not aware if a -value for longitude is east or west. DishPointer's page displays the postiive/negative sign before the numbers, but ask for a designation of east/west and north/south in the app. I know I'm north of the equator, but not sure if i am east or west of the dividing line. Some explanation from Alan would have been helpful. I've been posting there for 3 days. The web site designation of a dish location can be accurately done, but it is very flaky.

I do like this iPad! I do like the apps!

The SatelliteGuys app is almost uesless to me now. I just can't navigate to a thread nor reply to a post. I'm typing here in Safari.

Overall, I have some inexpensive hardware with which to mount GS dishes, etc. and am pleased with these products. I just need someone to install another one for.

Thanks again for all the support I get here!

Bill

Hi,

Quick answer to the last question: Yes, I'm quite sure the dishpointer map was correct. The area is not where I live, but judging by the surroundings that I am familiar with, I believe the azimuth was correct. That map on the web page is not influenced by local magnetic variations. Neither is the sun.

Bottom line: 3 magnetic compasses were influenced to send me in a wrong direction. The sun told me where to look.

Yesterday, I installed a new post and put the WS dish on it and the lady's tv shows all she wants to see.

Thanks all. Brian's suggestion to verify the exact time of the sun's location was what did it.

Another question that I don't know where to ask.

?? I rearranged my home tv area and am discarding an old DishDVR501. Would anyone want it?
Where on the Dish page here should I ask? It may be too old to be of any value and would require some hacking to get dish programing, etc. I'll throw it away if I can't find any use for it.

Thanks again.

Bill

Bob,, During the past couple days, I've worked with DishPointer in iPad and on the pc. All is working now. I reviewed much of this thread and reconfirmed the way DP online works. It is a fantastic tool. The combination of DP, Mr. Sun, Compass, etc. Big Help!

I am still non confident with the SatelliteGuys app in iPad. I'll work on that too.

Thanks again, Bill

Failed aim follow-up

I posted this earlier today, but it isn't shown here.

Here is the narrative of my experience on Sunday:
I have a new issue.

I went today with a new dish system to a home west of here near the big Robins Air Force Base. Dishpointer on iPad didn't work. I'll address that on their page.
With a large back yard, I used a compass to aim. PC dishpointer confirmed I was looking in the right direction.
I was able to only get 4.2 dB SQ on 12152 and lower values on 11842 and 12115.

The dish is true. Skew and position of the lnb are tweeked at near the specified 20 degree left rotation. The mast pole is plumb.

This is disappointingly similar to other aims in this area, including the very first one I tried on g19, as well as the one in Statesboro where the compasses were off by about 20 degrees. That time, the dishpointer iPad, an android app, and the manual compass in the yard were wrong, but Mr. Sun and the PC dishpointer map were right on and I was able to make a good aim. It was cloudy enough today that I could not determine where the sun actually was. And,,, this is the season when during the mid day, the sun is almost directly overhead.

I'm going back soon. Going to check with some acquaintences in the area to see if others have good Glorystar installs there. Maybe take the same dish set to another location. Maybe take another set to the area. Use a tripod to take the system to other areas nearby.

I'm going to get this to work! Just musing here for your company and suggestions.

I could not get my pictures to attach here in iPad. I'll try to manage that through PC.

Thanks, Bill

Last night, I assembled another new dish. Same place and taking the same steps, including checking that the dish was true. I then took the new new dish with a tripod and my wife's iPad back to the new user's home.
1. I checked Mr. Sun for the location at 8:15 am. 75degrees.
2. I pulled up the compass app on iPad and it showed the sun right at 75.
3. I turned the iPad so the device was pointing at the space in the sky I felt G19 was, with a reading of 208.
4. I then turned on DishPointer app. It showed G19 in the same spot.

I got the new new dish out of my car and put it on the tripod. I was able to get useable readings on that dish. I took my Frist Strike meter to the first new dish mounted on Sunday and still could not gain any useable SQ. I took that dish off and replaced it with the newest one. Within a few minutes, I was able to get better than 50% on the 3 desired tp's. I firmed down that dish and dressed the cabling, etc. and programmed the receiver. The customer was pleased with the result.

I am disappointed that I wasted a day on Sunday erroneously thinking I had a useable NEW dish. I assemble one new dish out of the box and it won't work. I assemble another one and it does. Bummer. I've still got to find what is wrong with this dish or buy another one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts