Can't Set Limits on DSR 920

Status
Please reply by conversation.

milano maroon

Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
New Mexico
I am having a problem that I can't seem to fix. My DSR 920 had been having problems going back and forth between satellites - would lose counts and not end up on the satellite. So I was constantly having to retune.

Then it basically just quit moving. Always got the reached limit error no matter which direction I tried to go. So I changed actuators, am using a Saginaw with a 10k pot. What I find is that the receiver will move the actuator, if I go a click or so at a time, but if I hold the right or left direction down I get the limit error.

Set Limits screen will not let me set limits. The actuator will move but the numbers don't change. Both actuators do this.

Do you think a master reset will help? I have the dish blocked on G3 now, the actuator is just on the roof so it is free to move.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

if the dish is moving but the rcvr is not ack the click then likely cable bad (that is connected to pot).

I do this with mine: Use spare strip of wire on the actuator sensor input on the rcvr and as the dish move, tap the wire to make a connection between the input connectors

Thank you for the reply. Are you saying short the pulse and ground? I can try that but it is more than the counts not getting to the receiver I think. The counter number will move a couple either way, but then it will not go past the limit number even though the dish may move.

Tried a warm reboot but no help. Does a master reset ever clear something like this if it happens to be a computer glitch?

Thank you for the reply. Are you saying short the pulse and ground? I can try that but it is more than the counts not getting to the receiver I think. The counter number will move a couple either way, but then it will not go past the limit number even though the dish may move.

Tried a warm reboot but no help. Does a master reset ever clear something like this if it happens to be a computer glitch?

Yeah, short Pulse & Ground, that will make the DSR think the dish is moving.

If you move the dish, and the receiver doesn't receive a pulse, the counter will move a couple of clicks.

I've never had a problem where the DSR doesn't track dish moving so can't advise on Master Reset (never done one - they scare me!).

Were it me...I'd disconnect the pulse wires from the DSR and try the tip above to see if that helps.

Also, can you lay your hands on a multimeter or continuity tester? If so, you can test the pulse cables (sorry positioner cables) and the sensor in the positioner.

hth

just re-read your first post...

I've never used a POT for my dish mover - I use a reed switch and magnet setup, so my idea of continuity test won't work they way I'm thinking - Off-On-Off-On

I realise this doesn't help, but have you checked that a POT based mover will work with the DSR - maybe someone else here with a similar setup can help you - sorry.

FYI: My setup is giving a similar problem, doesn't always land back in the same place when moving. I've put this down to the age of my mover, and possibly a dodgy pulse cable.

Thank you for your replies. Let me sum up everything I've tried. Tonight I put a magnet switch in (the one with 4 magnets on a wheel) in place of the 10k pot.

I checked all wires for continuity - all OK.

I checked all wires to make sure nothing was shorted - all OK.

I have 5v out to the reed switch.

I don't have an analog voltmeter (my digital one is to slow to sense the pulses) but I may try using a flashlight bulb or something to check to see if I am getting a pulse. That is the only unknown.

Right now I can get the 920 to move the actuator. By either sending short pulses to the motor I can move across the arc. However, if I hold the right or left button down I get the error. I can move the actuator and short the pulse terminal to the ground and it will count and move like it should. But it won't count on it's own.

I am completely baffled by this. The only thing which could be messed up I think is the reed switch. But that would mean I have two failing switches all at once. This one and the one in the other actuator. A little hard to believe. The other one is a different type, maybe an optical one. Both of these at one time worked with this receiver.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I am totally out of ideas except putting it on G1 until my subscription expires and then throwing it away. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Jeff

If it counts and moves when you trick it by shorting the sensor leads it has to be a bad reed switch or it could be out of adjustment. If you don't think its that as you explained above. Try hooking the arm up right at the receiver to eliminate any issue which can be in the wiring.

Don't throw in the towel yet. I know how you feel when I had jack problems in the middle of winter last winter. Mine ended up being bad brushes in the motor and it drove me nuts. There probably is a simple answer. It just isn't prevalent yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)