CBS stations return to DISH

Because it isn't just about a viewer missing a game, TV show, or movie. It's about millions of eyes missing the advertising that retailers and other businesses pay good money for that won't be seen because a channel (or much more frequently, a whole slate of channels) goes dark on an entire provider's system. "It's the economy, stupid" ;)
Advertisers have plenty of options. Those "millions of eyes" will only miss a few days of ads before the ads start being redirected elsewhere. Let the already bastardized version of the market do it's job without further perversion. There is no reason the content providers and mvpds shouldn't be allowed to walk away from each other, regardless of bundling.

I worked with a man who swore that if the TV set was off, and plugged in to the wall, the "government" could watch you. Said he always made his wife unplug all the TV sets, especially in the bedroom before they went to bed.

We still hear this often. I just chuckle and move on.

Public Affairs programming is a requirement of Local Television broadcasters as a condition of being granted a license to use the public airwaves.
However, the time a station must offer Public Affairs programming is small in comparison to the number of broadcast hours.
As I said, locals are the exception. I like the pass thru a-la-carte billing options that were proposed, but could see other options there as well.

I used to know a guy who was absolutely sure the cable company was able to spy on him through the cable box so he wouldn't have one. When he went to someone's house that had one he would cover the front with something, or leave.

They've been putting FLIR in ALL the boxes that use an IR remote for over 20 years now. ;)

Dish installed an antenna for me when I lost my distant nets. I still have that antenna, but now also have locals. My locals are for St. Joe, but I can pick up KC channels with the antenna. So in the end I came out ahead. So if you are losing CBS and don't have an antenna, take advantage of it and get one. The dispute will be short term.

They started showing the drop announcements today on KCBS-TV and KCAL in Los Angeles. I switched our CBS timers over to OTA and am prepared for a long fight. I am sure there are a great number of people who will be confused by this, especially older people like my in-laws. It wasn't long ago that they finally gave in and started paying for cable, simply because they moved to a community where OTA reception wasn't an option. They don't have internet either, and never will. In their minds, TV should be free and they didn't understand what happened last year when Time Warner Cable shut off CBS.

I find this interesting: http://dishisonyourside.com/

When I visit this side, there is no mention of my local CBS station (WBBM in Chicago). It was mentioned yesterday. Now it only lists Showtime as possibly being removed. Also, at the bottom is says the "latest update" is tomorrow, 11/21, at 4:23 pm.

I find this interesting: http://dishisonyourside.com/

When I visit this side, there is no mention of my local CBS station (WBBM in Chicago). It was mentioned yesterday. Now it only lists Showtime as possibly being removed. Also, at the bottom is says the "latest update" is tomorrow, 11/21, at 4:23 pm.

I wonder if there is a issue with the website. I put my zip code in and I know my CBS is part of the ones that could be pulled

I wonder if there is a issue with the website. I put my zip code in and I know my CBS is part of the ones that could be pulled

That is what I think. I still see the message on a channel saying it is threatened to be puled, but when I type it into that website with multiple Chicago zip codes, it says my area has no issues.

With my CBS gone....will give it one week...else CBS will lose me for their shows...specially scorpion. Big bang loss is not big since I like their older episodes also And had it on DVD to watch.

Not going to miss you CBS. Maybe you should pay to be watched. How about that

With my CBS gone....will give it one week...else CBS will lose me for their shows...specially scorpion. Big bang loss is not big since I like their older episodes also And had it on DVD to watch.

Not going to miss you CBS. Maybe you should pay to be watched. How about that

The campaign has stopped I would think you are OKAY

Yesterday cbs.com had a big notice at the top of the web page warning of a potential problem with Dish. It is gone today. Probably a good sign of a deal in the works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts