Ceil 2 is Alive and Powerful

my average signal peak on most of the beams where averagely 34. This morning I
I'm peaking at 77 in Vancouver, WA. Fricken amazing :hungry:

I might actually be able to watch some tv now when it snows/heavy rain/ice now on HD channels :up

oh and my setup is 2 dish 500s 1 pointed 110/119, and 2nd pointed to 129.

Okay, some satellite/dish education please....

My dish currently points at 110/119/129. How does Dish put a 2nd satellite in the same (general) location, i.e. 129', as an existing satellite ? Are there (2) satellites at 129' currently ? Or, did they move the old one "out of the way", like overnight ?

Does this new satellite mean they will offer more HD locals? All the other HD channels they are adding are great but I would rather get my locals in HD than get a news channel in HD. Is the news that much better in HD?

I live in the La Crosse/Eau Claire, Wisconsin DMA and can get all but NBC with my inddor antenna. I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for Dish to offer our locals in HD but nothing. I just found out that DirecTV offers our locals in HD and am thinking about the switch.

Please tell me that HD locals are coming soon...

Thanks,
Bill

Does this new satellite mean they will offer more HD locals?

Ciel 2 has lots of spotbeam capacity. The most of any satellite that Dish Network has ever used in the past. It is expected that Dish intends to use these spotbeams for the purpose of HD Locals, similar to what they have done at the 61.5w orbital location and the spotbeams there.

Okay, some satellite/dish education please....

My dish currently points at 110/119/129. How does Dish put a 2nd satellite in the same (general) location, i.e. 129', as an existing satellite ? Are there (2) satellites at 129' currently ? Or, did they move the old one "out of the way", like overnight ?
Yes, there are two sats, E5 and Ciel2 currently in the the area of 129. They are not right on top of each other, and dont need to be, to be capable of transmitting from what is loosely known as 129W.

Yes, there are two sats, E5 and Ciel2 currently in the the area of 129. They are not right on top of each other, and dont need to be, to be capable of transmitting from what is loosely known as 129W.
Yep, one is at 129w and the other is at 128.8w, but we can't see the difference...

as of 230 am central time on feb 3rd ceil 2 is now being turned on for customers. i am getting an 80 ss from transponder 21 on 129. Thank U Dish!!!!
so i went from highest ss of 60 to around 80 nice SS jump there dish Woot Woot!!

Acually switchover started at 12:06am PST; first stage took 11 minutes.
You can see the process captured by BLSA at the thread.

actually the uplink reports just showed them moving stuff around on e-5 , i believe digiblur had already updated the program to distinguish between 5 and ceil-2 .

my guess is they are shifting the feeds to the san transponder on e-5 in prep for the move to ciel-2...

I'll believe it is on ciel-2 when the tables get updated to show them on ciel-2

It's pretty hard to split SDT info between sats - there is no distinguish mark for CONUS transponders, only some hints. You should look at sat signal and research patterns ( like those fingerprints or noise spectrum from submarines ;) ).

Around 11:30am ET, Transponder 7 went away for a short period. I'm not sure whether that was a Ciel-2 related change, or just E*5 having one of its signal dips...

One more basic question. Do I have to do anything to get this new Satt or it's info or should it be transparent to me? I have a basic Dish 1000 with three LNB's and my receiver calims it is a Dish 500 system and looks at 110, 119, and 129 just outside of Charlottesville VA. Do I just leave things alone and enjoy or should I be changing something?

One more basic question. Do I have to do anything to get this new Satt or it's info or should it be transparent to me? I have a basic Dish 1000 with three LNB's and my receiver calims it is a Dish 500 system and looks at 110, 119, and 129 just outside of Charlottesville VA. Do I just leave things alone and enjoy or should I be changing something?
see post#27

Does 57 sound about right for transponder 30 here in Dallas with the Dish 1000.2 or is there room for improvement? I've tweaked it a little but didn't get much out of it.

When I checked the signals this morning, most of them where at 57 on a 1000.2 for me. They were in the 30's with some 40's before so I'm thinking an average increase of 20 for most people.

I will be posting my old and new readings this afternoon when I get back from work.

Last edited:
Yes, I got that it is in the same basic location but I was not sure if the receiver would know to look at it if the signals were different. I got it now, one goes off line as the other comes online.

Does 57 sound about right for transponder 30 here in Dallas with the Dish 1000.2 or is there room for improvement? I've tweaked it a little but didn't get much out of it.

this is the time for a new satellite when people like you report their signal strengths in various parts of the country and that becomes what could be called "normal"