CHICAGO METRO AREA VOOM

Got the power injector yesterday. There is no way the STB is powering the Stealth antenna. I went from signals in the 20's with major breakups, to signals in the 70's and 80's with no breakups after installing the power injector in-line. This was for all channels EXCEPT CBS DT-3 of course. :no This one is still breaking up really bad at best for me. Maybe I'll try fine tuning the antenna by turning it a little over the weekend to see if it gets any better. Otherwise, I guess I'll just give up on CBS HD.

So if you have a Stealth antenna and don't have that power injector plugged in somewhere, you are not operating at full power.

The first storm in our area since I had VOOM installed and I wasn't home yesterday to try it out. Did anyone have any problems with either satellite or OTA reception during the wind/rain/tornados?

compurocker said:
The first storm in our area since I had VOOM installed and I wasn't home yesterday to try it out. Did anyone have any problems with either satellite or OTA reception during the wind/rain/tornados?

I wasn't home either during the day for the worst of the heavy rain. At night, there was a light drizzle, but the reception on the satellite was fine. The signal maybe went down to 93, when I'm usually at 96. As for the OTA, it actually has been better on channel 2 since the storms came through. As of this morning, I am still receiving CBS (signal quality between 20 and 30) with very minor pixellation 40+ miles out with the CM Stealth on the roof. Before the storm, it was very spotty reception with a ton of dropouts all the time.

Another thing for you Chicago area Voomers, anyone know why channel 7-2 isn't showing up on the Voom receivers? I used to get it with my TVs built-in digital tuner and I kinda miss the news repeats without the commercials. :no

Cbs 2

Hello all,

Anyone having trouble with CBS 2 this weekend? Since the storm on Friday and saturday i have not been able to recieve CBS at all. wondering if this is a problem with my antenna caused by the wind and rain or if its on CBS's end. please help before i have to put in a service call to voom. Thanks

Sean

Seanb61 said:
Hello all,

Anyone having trouble with CBS 2 this weekend? Since the storm on Friday and saturday i have not been able to recieve CBS at all. wondering if this is a problem with my antenna caused by the wind and rain or if its on CBS's end. please help before i have to put in a service call to voom. Thanks

Sean

I actually had a watchable signal *most* of this weekend on CBS. Still amazes me being probably 45 miles out and using the Stealth antenna!

Another thing I found interesting about getting CBS-DT way out here is that it is effected by electrical interference a LOT! I have an LCD computer monitor in my house that when you turn it on, the CBS digital picture goes right out and I get the familiar 'No Signal on 2-1" message. As soon as I yell at my wife to turn the monitor off, boom... it starts coming in again. So look out for electronics in your own home that might be killing the signal too. :shocked

I'm probably just talking to myself here, but, due to Wednesdays storm, my sat signal quality went from 95 (which is what it is normally) to low 80's with pixellation and some breakups. It only happened a few times over the course of a few hours in the late afternoon / early evening. But my OTA seemed fine during the whole thing. :yes

install

I'm scheduled for installation tommorrow in Chicago Heights. Did anybody get rained out of their date? How long before they could reschedule? I'm gonna call today and try to find out how they work it. If they cover the whole metropolitan area it could easily be raining in one place while its not in another. I only want to have to take off of work once.

C

Well, in between pockets of rain, I got installed today. The installer had all kinds of problems getting the locals to come in. I had an antenna installed already that I knew got strong signal on all the locals, but none of the locals would come in. He switched OTA modules, then switched boxes, still couldnt get them to work even though it was showing strong signal. He finally gave up and left, and about an hour later they were working, go figure. So far, so good. Everything looks great. I doubt I'll be keeping the VaVAVoom package for the long haul, its quite expensive for me. I really wish they would get the INHD 1 and 2 and the HD Nets. No provider has all the HD channels, its ridiculous, you gotta settle somewhere, cause most people cant afford keeping multiple services. Oh well, its Voom for now, if Directv got the INHD's or Comcast got the HDNets, I'll consider switching again. With the equipment rentals, it makes it easy to switch.

C

thugnerd said:
Well, in between pockets of rain, I got installed today. ...

C

Congrats thug! I was in a similar situation waiting for D* or E* to get more HD channels. Since they never did, I decided to take a chance with Voom and don't regret it at all. I also signed up for VaVaVoom just to see all the channels, and I'll probably stick with it a while until the price goes up. I enjoy having all the premium movie channels.

Hopefull New Customer

Well, I went to order service today and was told they were to busy and someone would call me back :shocked

Anyway, anyone here in chicagoland using the 24" or 30" antenna's? I'm an old army satallite guy and my opinion as always been "the bigger the better". ;) I live in Streamwood which is about 30 miles from downtown as the crow flies so do you think the Stealth will have any issues picking up the locals?

Well, it for now. I'll let you know if Voom ever calls me back.

omard. said:
Did anybody have trouble getting any signal on WGN?

No problem with WGN 1 & 2. I'm located about a mile west of Midway. I have RS VU90 antenna. This is with an 811. Voom is will be installed 26 May.

Vreesar said:
Well, I went to order service today and was told they were to busy and someone would call me back :shocked

Anyway, anyone here in chicagoland using the 24" or 30" antenna's? I'm an old army satallite guy and my opinion as always been "the bigger the better". ;) I live in Streamwood which is about 30 miles from downtown as the crow flies so do you think the Stealth will have any issues picking up the locals?

Well, it for now. I'll let you know if Voom ever calls me back.

Too busy? Wow, that's great.

The stealth is hit or miss depending on your location. For me, it is pretty much a hit from about 41 miles west of the transmitters downtown. I get CBS watchable from the stealth on my roof about 75% of the time and all other channels 100% watchable all the time. I am not using any diplexers and am using the power injector for the amplifier in the Stealth antenna. But distance from the transmitter isn't the only factor. Have them try it, if it doesn't work, they'll put a bigger one up.

Downtown Chicago

It looks like all the people on the Chicago thread are in the burbs. I signed up to have voom installed 6/5. I'm on the 43rd floor downtown, anyone else have voom installed in downtown. I face east (the lake), so from what I've heard, this is good.

Anyone else in the Chicagoland area lose signal during this weekend's thunderstorms? I lost signal off and on during them. At one point, I had to reboot my STB after the satellite signal went out while watching something and never came back until I did a hard reboot by unplugging it for a few minutes.

I had my signal interrupted during the storm, almost everytime there is a storm I lose the signal, but I found out that if I lose the signal and stay on the same channel the signal takes longer to come back but if I change the channel then there is a faster response. I also use a large OTA Winegard antenna and I'm about 15 miles away from downtown and still lost the signal for a while even using my tv's own tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)