CHICAGO METRO AREA VOOM

Chicago Sports

I currently don't have Voom, but was thinking about it. I noticed that a lot of the Chicago sports games (Cubs, Sox, Bulls) are picked up be CSN-Chicago, and they have many games in HD. Is this carried (SD or HD) by Voom?

csn is comcast sports net a local cable channel & are not in hd anyway all the games on ch 9 wgn will be shown in hd to the best of my knowledge

I am in St. Charles and all I get is 13 OTA channels no channel 2 CBS

How can you tell if you got the software upgrade. My software indicates 2.4c but I have not got any additional stations. My RF signal reading is 92

Super_DMA added channels 4-10-12-17 which are out of MIL. and Gary. I am in Alsip and cannot recieve any of the new channels. Before super_dma I got 19 channels

Is anyone getting audio breakups on Fox 32 ? Every 3-4 minutes I get a 1 second breakup of sound. Anyone else ?

I have been getting them on channel 5 real bad every 3 ,4 seconds. pops,sound disappearing. Also I have to reboot my Voom box every time I watch now because I get audio sync problems; with as much as 45 ms delays. Did not happen until this last update.

Ch. 32-1 Fox dropouts

wase4711 said:
Yes, I have been getting breakups in audio and video on Fox for the last few weeks...
There are posts about this earlier in this thread. This has been going on for almost 2 months and it stinks! I'm not sure what the deal is. It happens on my TV's built-in tuner, so I don't think it's just the Voom receiver.

jbm007 said:
I have been getting them on channel 5 real bad every 3 ,4 seconds. pops,sound disappearing. Also I have to reboot my Voom box every time I watch now because I get audio sync problems; with as much as 45 ms delays. Did not happen until this last update.
I really haven't seen this.

So I've done some searching through this thread and I'm wondering, what's the experience of Chicago folks with rain fade of late. We just had our Voom installed about three weeks ago and that's my big gripe. It's cut out three times in the past three weeks--we live near the lake in Roger's Park and it's probably the dense cloudcover/electrical over the water to the southeast that does it. Not good, especially since we're heading INTO rainy season and we almost missed the finale of one of our favorite shows because of the lost signal.

I had asked for a 24" dish to proactively prevent but the Voom CSR said I'd have to speak with the installer. Well, the installer didn't call until they were practically on our doorstep, then said that he didn't have any 24" dishes and the order had to be done through Voom.

My questions: Anyone have luck getting a bigger dish installed...And/Or is an elliptical just around the corner (new bird/required new dish), so are we all to wait it out?

Well, I have had no rain fade issues, although the recent severe hailstorm/thunderstorm caused me to lose signal for about 5 minutes; I live in Darien, out in the sw burbs, and outside of heavy snowstorms with large snowflakes, and severe thunderstorms/lighting or hail, I have never experienced rain fade...

I wonder if your dish is aimed properly; what kind of signal strength readings do you get from both satalite signals and OTA signals?

FunkyBoss said:
There are posts about this earlier in this thread. This has been going on for almost 2 months and it stinks! I'm not sure what the deal is. It happens on my TV's built-in tuner, so I don't think it's just the Voom receiver.

I dont get it on my upstairs tv's. which are connected to Comcast, but I get it alot on the VOOM box on my main tv downstairs....only happens on FOX 32 though; I have had no problems with NBC/Channel 5

I get 97 on the satellite and 99 OTA. When the picture was scrambling to incoherence under rain fade conditions (my wife had it happen to her twice, I think watching Discovery HD or the like, with my viewing, third time it happened, it was a Fri and the channel was SciFi, btw) I was still getting 85 on the sat and 78 on the OTA.

That's why I was very surprised to experience the rain fade-- and why I currently tend to blame it on a combo of the dish size and my location.

shanewalker said:
So I've done some searching through this thread and I'm wondering, what's the experience of Chicago folks with rain fade of late. We just had our Voom installed about three weeks ago and that's my big gripe. It's cut out three times in the past three weeks--we live near the lake in Roger's Park and it's probably the dense cloudcover/electrical over the water to the southeast that does it. Not good, especially since we're heading INTO rainy season and we almost missed the finale of one of our favorite shows because of the lost signal.

I had asked for a 24" dish to proactively prevent but the Voom CSR said I'd have to speak with the installer. Well, the installer didn't call until they were practically on our doorstep, then said that he didn't have any 24" dishes and the order had to be done through Voom.

My questions: Anyone have luck getting a bigger dish installed...And/Or is an elliptical just around the corner (new bird/required new dish), so are we all to wait it out?

I live in Wauconda, I have been Vooming for about 15 months now. I called about 3 months ago to complain about rain fade, and the CSR OK'd it on the spot. Installer tried to talk me out of it, saying it wouldn't help, but I told him I wanted it, so he put it up. No problems whatsoever since the new dish has been installed.

-k

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts