CHICAGO METRO AREA VOOM

dbruhn said:
I'm thinking of getting Voom and live in Roscoe Village (Chicago) which is 5 miles from the loop. A few questions hopefully someone can answer....

1. I live in a condo so the antenna can't be giant. How big is the OTA antenna and dish?

2. Being so close to the loop will I get all OTA channels?

3. I currently have Direct TV. Should I keep it until after Voom is installed and verify all channels work?

Any help is appreciated!

Dan

I am in lincoln park and I get all OTA channels fine, except CBS which go's out eveytime it storms.

ESPN HD, TNTHD, BRAVOHD, etc... Are no longer part of the Voom package. You have to get VA VA VOOM, or pay 14.99 a month for them.

That is what is pissing me off. Corporate acutally gave us the programs because the channel guide still says you get them, but they are modifing the webpage.

IamtheMp3God said:
ESPN HD, TNTHD, BRAVOHD, etc... Are no longer part of the Voom package. You have to get VA VA VOOM, or pay 14.99 a month for them.

That is what is pissing me off. Corporate acutally gave us the programs because the channel guide still says you get them, but they are modifing the webpage.

Wow, this seems like a bad move for Voom. They have always listed these channels as the "HD Marquee", but they have never charged for them.

Voom was installed today by Adant Wireless. I had one STB installed. The installers used my existing RS VU90 without a diplexer. The install took about an hour. The STB came with 5.68 firmware. Signal was about 96. The Chicago locals fell right in. No problems, no complaints from a satisfied Voomer.

cpdretired said:
Voom was installed today by Adant Wireless. I had one STB installed. The installers used my existing RS VU90 without a diplexer. The install took about an hour. The STB came with 5.68 firmware. Signal was about 96. The Chicago locals fell right in. No problems, no complaints from a satisfied Voomer.

Congrats! :yes

IamtheMp3God said:

HD Marquee (Discover HD, Bravo HD, ESPN HD, TNT HD) is still part of the VOOM package at $39 per month. This will not change in the forseeable future; probably through the remainder of the year.

I would call VOOM if you are paying extra for and/or not receiving the above channels.

Not true. They have been moved to the VA VA Voom package.

You would have to be gradfathered in to get them.

Adant installed our Voom setup last Friday, 6/26. So far, it doesn't work worth a crap. We're getting picture freezes and audio dropouts every couple of seconds, and that's if a channel comes in at all. Also, we're using a large OTA antenna on a 30' tower with a rotor. Using this antenna, we used to receive at least 10 local analog channels. We're currently only receiving 3 local digital channels, and I know there are at least 8 digitals that we should be able to receive. I've scheduled a service call for 7/8, and they better fix this stuff. It's very annoying.

Nevin said:
Adant installed our Voom setup last Friday, 6/26. So far, it doesn't work worth a crap. We're getting picture freezes and audio dropouts every couple of seconds, and that's if a channel comes in at all. Also, we're using a large OTA antenna on a 30' tower with a rotor. Using this antenna, we used to receive at least 10 local analog channels. We're currently only receiving 3 local digital channels, and I know there are at least 8 digitals that we should be able to receive. I've scheduled a service call for 7/8, and they better fix this stuff. It's very annoying.

Can you give a little more info? Where are you located, what kind of antenna is it? Getting the analog channels isn't always an indicator that you'll get the digitals. How are the satellite channels coming in?

I'm not exactly sure what type of antenna it is, but we've never had a problem receiving the analog channels. It's always performed well. I'm in Freeport, IL and get chanels from Rockford, IL and Madison, WI. According to the "What's on now"? feature on Voom's website, I should be able to get about 11 local digital channels, and I'm currently getting 3. As far as the satellite channels, they're coming in terribly. I get tons of audio and video dropouts all over the place, and sometimes I just get a black screen where the channel won't tune in. For most of Sat. and Sun., I couldn't get anything to come in. According to my STB system setup, my Satellite Signal Quality is usually 68-72, but I've seen it range from 60-84. Do you think the dish needs to be repeaked, or could it be a bad receiver? Thanks for the help.

To me it looks like it needs to be repeaked. You should be in the mid 90's range for this area.

As for your OTA reception, are all the channel's coming from the same general direction? If not, it sounds like you need a rotar on your antenna.

EDIT: Oops, just noticed you said you had a rotar. Never mind.

Nevin said:
I'm not exactly sure what type of antenna it is, but we've never had a problem receiving the analog channels. It's always performed well. I'm in Freeport, IL and get chanels from Rockford, IL and Madison, WI. According to the "What's on now"? feature on Voom's website, I should be able to get about 11 local digital channels, and I'm currently getting 3. As far as the satellite channels, they're coming in terribly. I get tons of audio and video dropouts all over the place, and sometimes I just get a black screen where the channel won't tune in. For most of Sat. and Sun., I couldn't get anything to come in. According to my STB system setup, my Satellite Signal Quality is usually 68-72, but I've seen it range from 60-84. Do you think the dish needs to be repeaked, or could it be a bad receiver? Thanks for the help.
Digital in some cases is harder to receive than analog. Either you have the signal or you have nothing . Unlike analog you will have the signal no matter how much snow is in the picture.

As far as the satellite signal I'm in Chicago and have a solid 96. If you can have someone help you bring up the tune satellite screen. Slightly loosen the dish bolts. Then slowly reposition the dish. A cell phone and land line should be used.

Is there a way to check your connections with the antenna? Is the RG6 from your antenna old or cracked?

Are their any hills between you and Madison? Madison is about 60 miles from you. Rockford is half that distance. You should be able to get all of the Rockford locals.

I think Voom maps in channels that are in your area by zip code. As far as Madison you may have to wait until the next software upgrade allowing for scanning of local digitals.

Nevin said:

I'm not familiar with the Rockford or Madison DTV channels, sorry. You should go to www.antennaweb.org and put in your zip code to see what they say about digital channels in your area and approximately how far away they are and in what direction. *Most* digital channels are in the UHF range and maybe your antenna is better with VHF or something.

That satellite signal quality is bad. Like cpretired, my signal quality on a clear day is around 96. You probably need to be re-peaked. Don't let the installer leave without your satellite signal quality over 90! As for the OTA, it's really hit or miss. I'm 45 miles or so out of Chicago and I get every Chicago local except CBS. CBS is very spotty and is usually unwatchable with the Voom provided Stealth antenna. But I don't think I want a bigger one yet, so I'm stuck.

The cable from my antenna is old, but the installer said it was still really good. Since we do have a rotor, we have the antenna adjusted to a happy medium, where everything comes in. However, since we got Voom last Friday, I have not adjusted the antenna. I assume that until I'm mapped for the extra channels and see them in my program guide, there's no point in moving the antenna yet. I will, however, keep it in mind when we get remapped.

As for the satellite, hopefully I can get the dish repeaked on 7/8 during the service call. Until then, I just hope there's something good to watch on my 3 local channels.

I tried to repeak the dish last night. I adjusted both the horizontal and vertical placement and can't get a signal quality above 70. I'll try a few more things, but I might just have to wait for my service call next week for things to improve. Dang.

Nevin said:
... I assume that until I'm mapped for the extra channels and see them in my program guide, there's no point in moving the antenna yet...

Oh, I think I misunderstood you. You only have 3 channels mapped in your area and the reason you don't get the rest is because they don't even show up in your guide? So you are a victim of "waiting for the new software" now huh?

FunkyBoss,

Yeah, I'm only see three channels in my program guide, and all three come in fine. I'm hoping the new software does the trick. As for the satellite channels, I'm not sure yet what is wrong. Could I have tree branches in my LOS and still get a SSQ of 70? The installer didn't say anything about the signal. He just said that it would get better.

Yeah, I tried to repeak the dish the other night. Rather than adjusting it all at once, I first worked on the horizontal placement. I moved it left, then right and tightened it when I got the highest SSQ, 70. Then, I moved the vertical placement up and down and still couldn't get above 70. I had someone watching the signal quality meter on Voom's menu while I was doing this. Is there a better way to do this? Would I be better off to adjust vertical and horizontal all at once?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts