Choosing HR 24 vs HR44 receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Satman99

Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
mb
Hey Guys

I am upgrading from SD to HD tv now and want to upgrade my dtv receiver as well. I was wondering if I could get some advice/feedback on how well the HR24 & HR44 direct tv receivers perform. I ve read some of the forums and description from DTV website. But I just would like to know from people who have first hand knowledge/operating time on how these receiver both work. I would like to know how much faster is it to use the guide applications, channel changing/freezing issues or any other quirky issue both receivers have. I realize that the HR44(super charged sports car) has double storage memory for recording, record up to 5 separate programs & more bells/whistles vs HR24(all around versital sedan) only being able to record 2 separate programs at once & less storage memory. But is one receiver a more stable platform then the other and a lot has to do with the software aspect of the receiver. I guess in general I d like hear some feedback whether it is good or bad about both receivers. Thanks in advance for any input/feedback in the matter.

Thanks,
Satman

Well, if I were going to get into D* for the first time, those are the two recvrs I would look into getting ... keep in mind, D* won't guarantee what HD Recvr you get outside of the Genie.

I would take a HR24 over a Genie client as it works entirely independent of the rest, meaning if you have issues with the Genie for some reason, the HR24 will still be working, while the clients may not as they are dependent on the Genie itself.

Well, if I were going to get into D* for the first time, those are the two recvrs I would look into getting ... keep in mind, D* won't guarantee what HD Recvr you get outside of the Genie.

I would take a HR24 over a Genie client as it works entirely independent of the rest, meaning if you have issues with the Genie for some reason, the HR24 will still be working, while the clients may not as they are dependent on the Genie itself.
This, I've almost talked myself into getting a Genie but am happy with my HR24 / HR20 combo and MRV.

I love my HR44-200. I need 5 tuners and I like the ease of moving the Client around for football. I "had" one HR24 and one HR22 last time I was a sub, when MRV was coming around, I traded them in for an HR34.

My HR44 was been pretty much flawless in my usage so far, and the C41 works fine too. No complaints.

Hey Guys

Thanks for your replies. I have another question. I am keeping my D12 SD do I buya new slimline SWM5 dish if you just want to use the HR44 just for SD reception. We are just moving into our new house and the games/tv room will not be finished for 4-5 months & will not have my HD tv/home threate setup available until then. Can I just use a legacy dish with the HR44. I thought I could be the dealer is saying I can't. Is this correct or not? I have put up my legacy dish in a temp location until all the siding/brick on the garage is finished then I can mount/install my SWM5 dish. But can I use the HR44 with the SD legacy dish for the interm?

Thanks,
Satman

So, another question is if I don't have the HR44 hooked up to Slimline SWM5 dish does this mean I can't record 5 different programs at once or not?. I thought the SWM5 dish was the setup needed to get other satellites that have/broadcast the HD channels on them? Am I understanding this correctly or do I have it wrong? I ve only had the D12 SD receiver setup so I am new to the HD stuff. What is the main purpose of the SWM5 dish setup? Sorry, I am a new bee & maybe asking some pretty basic questions but I just want to make sure I get the right equipment.

Thanks,
Satman

Hey Guys

Thanks for your replies. I have another question. I am keeping my D12 SD do I buya new slimline SWM5 dish if you just want to use the HR44 just for SD reception. We are just moving into our new house and the games/tv room will not be finished for 4-5 months & will not have my HD tv/home threate setup available until then. Can I just use a legacy dish with the HR44. I thought I could be the dealer is saying I can't. Is this correct or not? I have put up my legacy dish in a temp location until all the siding/brick on the garage is finished then I can mount/install my SWM5 dish. But can I use the HR44 with the SD legacy dish for the interm?

Thanks,
Satman

Well, your HR44 can be set to SD for the time being.
IF the D12 is SWM capable, you should be able to use it as well. I think the D12 is, but not sure.

So, another question is if I don't have the HR44 hooked up to Slimline SWM5 dish does this mean I can't record 5 different programs at once or not?. I thought the SWM5 dish was the setup needed to get other satellites that have/broadcast the HD channels on them? Am I understanding this correctly or do I have it wrong? I ve only had the D12 SD receiver setup so I am new to the HD stuff. What is the main purpose of the SWM5 dish setup? Sorry, I am a new bee & maybe asking some pretty basic questions but I just want to make sure I get the right equipment.

Thanks,
Satman

IF the HR44 is NOT hooked up to the SWM dish, you won't be able to use the HR44 at all.
The HR44 requires a SWM set up regardless of a 3 or a 5 set up.

The majority of your programming comes off the 101 (core programming) and the 99 and 103 Sats (they are used for your HD), the 110 isn't used anymore iirc and the 119 has a few channels and some music on it, thats all and some SD locals, thats it.

If your not in a locals are that requires the 119 sat for them, you'll want the SWM3.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)