Cold Weather issue

It should be the same on newer models. LNB.jpg

They coming out Saturday. Do I need to make sure the tech replaces the switch?
I would think these old LNBs have been out in the market for years with out cold weather issues. It was the introduction of this lot of Dou Nodes where we first heard of the issue.

Based on my testing- moving the switch in side and then out side with I would think the switch must be replaced.
The LNB has always been out in the cold with no issues on Hopper number one.

What should I ask of my tech Saturday, replace both- does the work order say replace both? What if he does not have any of the new switches with dots on them yet?

The Duo Nodes without the dots should work with all LNBs except for the ones they listed and the ones that fall into those serial number ranges. The new Duo Nodes with the black dots will work with all LNBs and should not be affected by weather. So technically all that should need to be done is swap out the LNB for a new one that is NOT in that serial number range. If you wanted to go further with it you could ask him to swap out the node just to be safe. I would also consider having him change the cable between the Host port on the node and the Hopper itself, just to be safe.

It doesn't look as if I'll ever know if I will have the problem. It's the middle of winter here in the Chicago area and 60 degree weather is in the forecast.

Just had a tech out this afternoon to swap out my LNB and I showed him the affected list of LNB's and the first 5 he opened on his van were on the list. He did have one that was good and got it installed for me but be aware that the affected ones are still around.

So I take it the work order does not give details telling the tech what to do.
Example, replace LBN but ONLY with one in this range. And replace Dou Node but only with ones with Dots.
Guess I better print out pictures from this thread and the post from the Software Support person to be safe.

So I take it the work order does not give details telling the tech what to do.
Example, replace LBN but ONLY with one in this range. And replace Dou Node but only with ones with Dots.
Guess I better print out pictures from this thread and the post from the Software Support person to be safe.

I had the printout from this thread for him to look at.
The tech took it with him to show his boss since he had a bunch of the LNBs on the list and he didn't have any updated duo nodes yet.

Tech came out yesterday and replaced my LNB and Node. LNB serial number was listed as a bad one. Not sure why he changed the node, because he gave me the same model I already had, the one without the black dot. But since changing the LNB was really all that was needed I guess I dont really care about the node.

The new nodes are in the field but it's possible that not all offices have them. If they don't have the newer nodes then switching the lnb should fix it. But if they have the new nodes then the lnb can be left alone.

%This really should be a Sticky so others out there will know and so techs do not start re running cable thinking that is it.

Update
My Tech came out today and knew all about it, said there was a tech bulletin last week on it.
He did not know which serial numbers/bar code were bad so I gave him the list that Dish Software Support posted here.
They are to call in at install time to verify with lead techs to make sure the new bar code is good and he did.
He did not have any new "Dot" nodes but said it was not needed per tech bulletin, just the LNB
So I guess we double checked with info from this post and there lead tech.
He really was good and knew what he was doing.
My new LNB is : A212A2
It should be down to 7 degrees over night and Sunday so come Monday we should know if this is fixed.

A tech came back out on Saturday morning and did a bunch of work, and I have not had issues for the last two nights

First, I had low signal strength (20's) due to tall trees (even without the leaves), so he installed a new 1000.4 and LNB in a different location where it is now in the low 50's. Of course this necessitated all new lines from the LNB which is now connected to a new black-dot Duo node. Inside, he replaced all of the compression fittings and a tap in the basement (and tidied it up to boot). He also replaced a low-frequency barrel connector in the wall plate behind my living room Hopper (my office Hopper was good) and replaced those fittings too.

One thing he noted was one of the lines connected to the original Duo node had moisture inside and was starting to corrode. This may have been why just replacing the LNB the first time did not work.

Again, two nights without issue is promising, but with the caveat that we've been on a warming trend. The boost in signal strength come springtime will be much appreciated.

We have had another bout of cold weather here in Southern California and once again I lose my signal! Getting tired of this...wife is missing recordings....not good! I pm'd Dish Dirt and have not heard anything back. Anyone from Dish out there that can help me? I'm not comfortable going through the normal tech support...they say they no nothing about this. Sent one tech out who knew nothing about it and the problem still exists.

You must of missed reading something.
See other posting on I think page 16, its from the Dish Software Team. You need to PM them. They ask you to PM them.
They had a tech out right away for me.
Do not PM a dirt member.
Mine is now fixed. Two Days of 10 degrees out side. No issues.
Print out the posting form the Dish Software team and give to the tech that comes out so they know what part to replace. It include photo of what needs replaced and what bar code numbers. Some techs have not read the tech note yet.

We have had another bout of cold weather here in Southern California and once again I lose my signal! Getting tired of this...wife is missing recordings....not good! I pm'd Dish Dirt and have not heard anything back. Anyone from Dish out there that can help me? I'm not comfortable going through the normal tech support...they say they no nothing about this. Sent one tech out who knew nothing about it and the problem still exists.

As is the low frequency barrel behind the hopper. I've rolled to more than 1 TC with signal loss only to find the previous tech didn't spend the 30 seconds it takes to check.

Dish is aware of a problem with nodes and cold temps. Very likely what you are running into. There is also a signal problem with 2 Hopper systems (does not happen on single hopper systems) where randomly each tuner will only see 1 instead of 3 (for western arch) satellites. It is at this point an unsolved problem.

Edit: Didn't realize how many replies were on this thread, my post was probably redundant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts