Comet TV

We got Comet Tv on a Cincinnati and a Dayton Ohio sub now. On a side note, one of our low power stations owned by Elliott Block, had Antenna Tv but is losing it soon. According to Antenna Tv it will be back on in Cincinnati on a channel that is also on cable. The low power is adding Buzzr.

just noticed tonight the Comet TV is being broadcast on WZME (Bpt., CT) sub-ch. 43-3! Watched Moonraker, so WZME has H&I, The Works and now Comet TV, not bad

just noticed tonight the Comet TV is being broadcast on WZME (Bpt., CT) sub-ch. 43-3! Watched Moonraker, so WZME has H&I, The Works and now Comet TV, not bad
The Works and CometTV are owned by same company (MGM)...well Comet is a venture between Sinclair and MGM. So a few stations owned by Titan are carrying it

Reactions: dfecarter
Got Comet TV here in LA;

KDOC 56-4 ... Took the sub-channel formally used by "the works" which was moved to 56-8. This means of course the guide info.from TMS is wrong for now which throws my OTA TIVO off.

Comet TV has the guide data for the works and the works has no guide data at all now.. Just TBA. Oh well ... emails to TMS I suppose.

Anyway, I also wonder why so many broadcast stations can never seem to launch a widescreen or 16:9 SD channel correctly. At least initially. Comet TV's format is off with a 16:9 image squeezed into 4:3 as they tipically are.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

whats interesting is TitanTV shows programming for CometTV on WUCW-DT2 (MInneapolis...GetTV) yet zap2it shows GetTV programming

and sadly GetTV is still on

Is everybody getting this broadcast as aspect 4:3 480i, (hit your INFO button on your tv remote, and look) and showing up as more narrow than a regular 4x3 broadcast usually is?

That's what I get on WSMH 66.3, and as usual, they won't respond to my emails.

Is everybody getting this broadcast as aspect 4:3 480i, (hit your INFO button on your tv remote, and look) and showing up as more narrow than a regular 4x3 broadcast usually is?

That's what I get on WSMH 66.3, and as usual, they won't respond to my emails.
You noticed it too huh?

Yep, having the same issue here in LA with Comet TV on KDOC 56-4.

It's a 16:9 image anamorphically squeezed into a 4:3 frame. You're going to have to stretch the picture out to a wide or 16:9 format setting on your TV or whatever other device to correct the distortion.

Called KDOC engineering about the problem, but they insisted the picture was fine and blamed my TV. However they did say they would take another look at it.

Yeah I'm sure ...

You noticed it too huh?

It's a 16:9 image anamorphically squeezed into a 4:3 frame. You're going to have to stretch the picture out to a wide or 16:9 format setting on your TV or whatever other device to correct the distortion.

Well, I can manually change it with the Aspect button, but it sucks that I HAVE to.

Reactions: TNGTony
Was kind of hoping for the 1960's Black and White version of "The Outer Limits" tonight.
Hopefully they will show those too unless Sinclair does not own the rights to the original series.

Reactions: retrotv
The channel should be broadcasting in 16:9, network engineers are aware of the issue and are working to fix it.
Hope that's the case, as I got nothing from my local outlet that they were even knowledgeable about the issue.

In fact on another problem, when I asked them about informing TMS about the new channel launch and their sub-channel shuffle resulting from it, so my OTA DVR can get the correct guide info. for Comet TV and "the works" channel they thought it wasn't necessary as it already was correct.

That is, they were confusing PSIP with TMS data ...

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence. ..

Anyone know if Comet is coming to Portland, OR? Our Sinclair station KATU is pretty filled up with MeTV and GetTV.

Thanks,
Alan
An e mail from KATU says that The Comet will replace Get TV after the first of the year. Get TV is replacing Grit on KUNP. That leaves us out, here on the coast, as there isn't a translator for KUNP out here. But we do have KATU/METV/Get TV. I like the old variety shows on Get TV, so I will really miss them. Get TV doesn't seem to FTA on the big dish either, nor the Comet.I also have Dish, but they refuse to carry sub channels. At least now, as well as Direct.

We have Comet in Beaumont,Pt.Arthur, Texas dma . Like the old B movies,but wish it would fill the screen with a 16 x 9 wide picture. I totally detest black bars.

Careful what you wish for. You might wind up with a stretched picture with short dumpy people. The only ways to turn the 4:3 stuff into 16:9 is to either crop top and bottom or do the horizontal stretch. Most TVs can stretch a 4:3 image to 16:9 but can not unstretch it. That's why I prefer them to show old TV shows in their original aspect ratio and not screw with it.

DRCars

We have Comet in Beaumont,Pt.Arthur, Texas dma . Like the old B movies,but wish it would fill the screen with a 16 x 9 wide picture. I totally detest black bars.
well you'd hate Minneapolis then. Most of the subs are in 16:9 widescreen (Me, This, Antenna, H&I, Justice) so you get black bars most of the time (commercials are in 16:9)

Reactions: ejb1980