commercial grade 12' tek2000

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
Any opinions or reviews on this one? Even though it's touted as commercial grade it still costs less than what I paid for my 12' KTI or 12' Paraclipse. I was looking for mesh on the internet but I can't seem to find any. Besides, last time I checked, having mesh cut by a professional outfit using the original panels as a template would cost a lot more than this 12 footer. By the way, I looked around here for 100 miles and no one has a 12 footer to give away. I've seen some 10- footers but they have hail damage.

12 Foot (3.5m) C-Band Polar Mount Mesh Satellite Antenna (Commercial) | Tek2000.com

I don't know about the 12' dish but I did an indepth review of the 10' mesh dish from Tek a few years ago in this subforum and it's made it through a few severe Michigan Winters already with no problems. And the dishes have been improved since then. Quality dishes at pretty reasonable prices if you want new.

Kind of interesting that the page is titled as a C-band dish but the specs say that it'll do Ku also. I guess I don't need the commercial grade one since I don't have a system that'll do powered elevation, etc. Anyway, I'll see what insurance will pay for. probably should've started this thread as a continuation to my thread about my hail damage.

I was just looking at the tvrosat forum and tek2000 posted that they don't intend to restock the consumer 12 footer anytime soon. Just when I was going to order one. Oh well. I guess I can spend the bucks and get a consumer grade 13.5 footer or go with the commercial grade 12 footer (cheaper than the consumer 13.5 footer). Or I can downgrade to a consumer 10 footer. I just hope my insurance agent wasn't lying when he said that my hail damaged antennas are covered. Bigger is better but I would have to check and see if the city will allow me to install a 13.5 footer (if I go that route). The 12 footer was approved though. Decisions, decisions. I looked at mesh replacement but the cost for just the mesh is outrageous - add labor to that and whoa! Too bad I'll have to scrap the existing antennas. Finding an installer for a BUD would be problematic also. I'm still in good physical condition so I'll probably assemble it myself but putting it onto the pole would be an "issue". And then there's the "I don't know if I want to do this" attitude.......

Reactions: primestar31
Maybe invite a bunch of friends over for a BBQ party, and let them help get it on the pole. Feed them afterwards. I'm not a drinker, but maybe some beer or something might be an additional hook.

Just don't let them drink until after the dish is on the pole...

And then there's the "I don't know if I want to do this" attitude.......

I did the 10' mesh install without any help. Put the dish together on the ground and rolled it over to the mount on the rim and then had to use a few small blocks of wood on the ground to rest the lip of the dish on so that the dish was high enough to be able to put on the mount. It was a handful but I did it. Anything bigger than that might have had some additional challenges.

johnnynobody,

I bought the 8 ft.solid tek2000 last fall.
I assembled and installed it myself and am pleased with its C and Ku performance. It has survived several high wind episodes so far, with no issues.

John

johnnynobody,

I bought the 8 ft.solid tek2000 last fall.
I assembled and installed it myself and am pleased with its C and Ku performance. It has survived several high wind episodes so far, with no issues.

John

They're out of stock on those also.

Reactions: MikeI
I just ordered a TEK 12 footer. Turns out there was one consumer grade left at SatellitesGalore. Interesting that there was a difference in the price of the antenna and shipping charges as quoted by TEK but it come out about the same. Had to order a 3.5 to 4.5 inch pole adapter though. I could've dug out another hole and poured more concrete to put in another pole but that would've been a lot more work and it would've been more expensive. My Paraclipse-12 is on that pole right now and it came with a pole adapter and has worked OK that way for many moons. The description of this antenna says the elevation can be motorized but I don't think the osmio4k is capable to doing that. Probably should've went with a 10 footer but since insurance is paying for it...... I just hope I won't be replacing it anytime soon. I'm wondering if replacement panels will still be available after the next hail storm.....

Reactions: MikeI
Elevation control for inclined satellites is as simple as the addition of another controller. The controller can be triggered automatically by any DiSEqC 1.2 STB or positioned manually.

Tek2000 and SatellitesGalore are one and the same.

I don't see anything in the dish positioner that would do elevation. Is there a dish positioner that will do AZ-EL positioning that won't break the bank?

Two standard DiSEqC 1.2 controllers are used. One controller controls the dish tracking and the other controller controls the elevation offset from the standard declination. Both controllers are triggered by the same DiSEqC 1.2 command issued by the STB.

STB>>> Splitter>>> (Port 1 to controller 1 /Port 2 to controller 2).

Example: Sat A is normal (not inclined) and to be saved to DiSEqC 1.2 motor assignment 1. Satellite B is inclined and to be saved to DiSEqC 1.2 motor assignment 2.

1. Drive controller 1 / actuator 1 to Sat. A azimuth position of the arc. Leave controller 2 / actuator 2 in the default "0" position for normal arc tracking. Save Sat A to position 1.

2. Drive controller 1 / actuator 1 to Sat. B azimuth position of the arc. Drive controller 2 / actuator 2 to optimize for the declined position (offset arc). Save Sat B to position 2.

When STB calls for satellite A, controller 1 drives actuator 1 to saved azimuth on the arc and controller 2 drives actuator 2 to the default declination elevation.

When STB calls for satellite B, controller 1 drives actuator 1 to saved azimuth on the arc and controller 2 drives actuator 2 to the offset declination elevation.

The STB issues one GoTo command to control two controllers / actuators.

Of course if you're weird like me and want both controllers in the same box, more fun to be had. ;) I just finished redoing the ASC1 Siamese Twin I built. Decided the mainboards needed to be clocked 90° to the right to make the wiring easier. I went to my favorite metal store yesterday and they cut me a piece of stainless steel for a new mounting plate. $1 cheap :) But the computer was down so they gave it to me.

ASC1 ST 004.JPGASC1 ST 007.JPGASC1 ST 010.JPGASC1 ST 013.JPG

Did you take one of the panels as a pattern to a fabricator for a quote? I have had replacement panels fabricated for a reasonable cost. A few years ago had a quarter of a 10' with new aluminum mesh panels for approx. $300. Was told the whole dish would have cost less than $900.

I was quoted $1700 (from 2 places) for a complete set (I need to replace all the panels). Might as well buy a new dish instead.

BTW, what happened to this site? I've tried 2 web browsers and the graphics are a mess. Only on this site.

Reactions: Titanium
Looks like the web site is working correctly again. Anyway, I suppose I could've paid an extra $300 and got the commercial grade TEK 12 footer but it looks like they're out of stock on that one also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts