Completely new to FTA, need system for single satellite for single purpose

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yeah, I figured I would just do it. The one question I do have is when I turn my receiver on, the only channels listed on there are for 97W galaxy 25 and it is channels 1 and 2. When I mount this on a post and get the dish up and running how do I scan so it pulls up whatever satellite I am looking at and not just a particular satellite that I pick from a list? Thanks

you would have to go into the menu and select Galaxy 26 (might still be listed as IA6)

Once you get the dish mounted in kinda the general area (for us in the TC its 38 degrees elevation on the dish and aim it almost dead south). The best thing on the Traxis to do is a blind scan which wil find the satellites/channels for where ever you are aimed at. You may not be on G26 but there are satellites all around it so you're bound to hit something :)

I am planning on putting it closer to the ground, maybe 4 feet or so. I will give it a go tonight after work. I needed to pick up a few bolts and nuts and that good stuff that didn't come with it. I am really liking the idea of a motor more and more. Ha :luvlove:. I will let you know what kind of problems I encounter. Thanks

ok good.. The lower the better for mounting the dish :) Then if snow gets on it you can clean it off. If you mount a motor to it then you have to make sure you can see all the satellites.

I checked the link you posted of the setup you got but do you know what kind of dish & LNB it is? Are there any numbers on the dish or LNB?

It had numbers on it but I don't have it with me right now. When I get home later I will post the info. Is there a way to hook my receiver up to my computer? And if so, what kind of benefits would this give me? I picked up the extra hardware needed for mounting so I am excited to get off work.

Ok, My LNB is DMS International Model: BSC321S RF:11.7-12.5GHZ IF: 950-1750 MHZ LO:10.75 GHZ NF:0.4dB. Another question, on the LNB holder, the numbers 20 to 0 and then 0 to 20, how should I line that up?? does it matter? Thanks.

yes it does matter. On the LNB there should be a notch at the top (the coax plug should be on the bottom). Line it up with zero. Skew is what you do to the LNB to optimize the signal depending on what satellite you are aimed at. Since you want G26 at 93.0W and we are at 93.0W the skew is zero :)

I have one of those LNB's...they work really well :)

I will be mounting the dish to my post tonite. I am unsure of how well the butterfly piece on the back of the dish will stay secured to the metal post. I mean by that, it seems like it may swing to the right or left with a little wind. Am I just being paranoid and it will be fine? I am guessing once I find my satellite to just tighten everything up and it will not move??

you're picking a helluva night to set the dish up ;)
(I was just outside and that wind bites through ya)

But once the dish is aimed you tighten the bolts and it won't move. I've had my motorized up for 4+ years now and even through the really bad winds we've had recently the dish won't move

Yeah, I went outside to set it up and the wind pretty much knocked me on my butt. Needless to say, I did not set it up. Ha. Maybe tonite

Ok, this isn't working for me. I know it is storming so that will make a difference. My Signal intensity is 39% and my quality 10-11% no matter what satellite I am on. I do not really like this receiver because I don't really have a blind scan I don't think. I have to highlight a particular satellite and then search. I cannot do a search that simply finds what I am looking at. I have absolutely no idea where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

The snow does hinder a little bit of signal but not much. I've been watching stuff all day and only lost a few signal points

Lets see if I can figure this out by reading the manual. I havent worked with the Traxis 3500 before so I'm just going off the manual.

press menu and then antenna setup
select satellite IA6/G26 whatever shows as 93.0W
LNB Type is STANDARD
10750 is LNB LO frequency
22k is OFF
Diseqc is OFF
polarity is H/V

save that "hit ok" and that should kick you back to the main menu

Now go back into auto scan and do a scan. It should find all active transponders for where ever you are. Hopefully someone with a Traxis 3500 can chime in on how to do a blind scan

I am guessing something is wrong being that I only have 39% signal intensity. I just don't know what to do. I'll try again I suppose when its nicer outside.

it is auto scan. That is like blind scan. Get the dish in the vicinity and do a auto scan and let it scan all. that will let us know where the dish is aimed

I can go into auto scan but it has to have a particular satellite selected, will this still auto scan all or just for that particular satellite? How can I increase my 40% signal intensity?

it will auto scan where ever you are. Choosing a satellite is not important. The receiver doesn't know if you're on G3, G26, G10 or Pas9. It will scan the active transponders that it finds and logs the channels. once it logs the info, then we can see where you might be.

Since there are satellites on both sides of G26 and to move from one to another is very minimal movement of the dish (like 1/32") we're bound to find something

So I am going to devote my day to getting this figured out. Lets say I wanted to try to get G10. Do I need to change the skew and if so to what point? I would just like to find a signal to know I can do it. Thanks.

Honestly I would stick with the satellites near G26. G10 is 30 degrees away from G26 and has a much lower elevation than G26.

Where we are located, there are about 8 satellites all within a degree of each other elevation wise
AMC3 at 87W
G28 at 89W
G11 at 91W
G26 at 93W
G3 at 95W
G25 at 97W
G4 at 99W
AMC3 at 101W

All of those are between 37-38 degrees elevation so you are bound to hit one of them :)

I need major help. I have not been able to get anything as of yet. I would just send it back and give up but I don't think that is an option. I am extraordinarily frustrated. The picture is now moving up continuously so I cannot even read the menu. If anyone knows what I should do, I am thinking about just taking it down and trashing it being that I don't know what to do anymore.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)