Concrete Pad

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
As most of you know during the summer I poured a concrete pad to support my 8' WSI dish. I know that with a motorized dish it is critical that the pole be level to receive the various satellites, but how critical is it for the concrete pad to be perfectly level for a stationary dish?

When I poured the concrete pad I leveled it using a 2x4 as well as a trowel. Due to variations in the concrete (small bumps, etc) the pad is near level, but not perfect. When aimed at Galaxy 17 I never had a problem receiving the channels with a high signal strength. The elevation bar is simply adjusted for any variation in levelness. However, now when trying to receive the AMC 3 satellite (DVB-S2 channels) I believe I might need to shim the base to make it 100% level in order to receive the highest signal strength. Is this true?

I don't think so . For a single satellite, a plumb pole is not as necessary. You should have all the adjustment you need ( within reason) with elevation, azimuth and skew to bring in any sat that you can see !
:)

I wouldn't think that the base that you're rotating the dish upon (azimuth) would make any difference as you also adjust elevation and skew separately. These are all automatic on a (properly installed) polar mount, making a plumb pole imperative.

If you motorize the dish on your pad, then you must ensure that it is level. But, for a single fixed point dish, you should be close enough and any errors in plumb you should be able to fudge around easily. I don't imagine that your pad is grossly unlevel.

RADAR

Last edited:
Some pictures would be nice to look at the progression from start to finish. Someday, I will move up to the big boys with an BUD for C-Band.

...Someday, I will move up to the big boys with an BUD for C-Band.

That was my feeling a couple years back. Now I have a basement full of BUDs. Get yours while they're hot ! (They are beginning to disappear from the landscape and can be still had for very little cash, or for free).

I removed the shims tonight that I had placed under the base last week to level and AMC3 now comes in better than ever.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 151
:eek: My wife will never allow that dream!!!...

Do you store them on shelves, in containers or...??? Perhaps in one piece??? :rolleyes:

Got 2x4s on the floor, all are in quarters, the reflector segments are lined up in a row, sort of looks like a library of BUDs.

One piece? I have 10' ceilings, could put one together in the dining room one day, then invite the neighbors over...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts