Confused about FTA- Please Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cabral

Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
tiverton ri
Hi: I'm new to FTA. I've always had cable but someone gave me a KTI 10' mesh dish with c-band and KU. It also came with an Echostar SRD-4000 receiver (but can't get it to come on). My question is: Is it worth keeping and possibly using the 10' dish and buy a receiver for it; or is it better to buy a brand new package (like Viewsat Ultra package which comes with a smaller dish). Any info would be appreciated.

:welcome WELCOME!! to SatelliteGuys. :bounce You have come to the right place. I am not the best one to answer all your questions, and probably those in the know will need a little more information to properly answer your needs.

Do you have the dish mounted on a pole yet? If so, is it level / plumb?
What model or part numbers for the LNBs you got with the dish?
What is your general location?
I am not familiar with that receiver, but by the brand and how you got it says it is probably and analog unit, which will work for a few C band channels. Oh, yes, keep the dish!

Tell us more, and if you can, show us some pictures. What do you have in mind to receive?

And again, welcome!
POP

Those rec were bad about power supply dying, if you get no sign of power on it, possibly could be the power supply inside-I had one I put 3 ps in over about 2yrs lol. Analog receivers are cheap these days, find one that has the dish=mover built in, most of the more recent ones do.
Then you can add an fta box and move your dish also, plus get the analog channels the fta box will not. Check ebay, craigslist , your local goodwill/salvation army store for a 2nd hand analog receiver.

thanks for your help, yes it is mounted on pole but on temp. base, just want to see if i can get it to work. it is plumb. right now its in tiverton RI but want to move it to greenwood ME. i have pictures but can't figure out how to get them to here. LNB model# ku117ohmt, cone says KTI but inside it says CHAPARRAL if that helps. not sure what im looking for channels just something is better then the 2 channels i get now, and after the digital switch not sure if i will even have them.

Absolutely keep the dish. You'll get alot more than two channels. I've got a 10 ft KTI myself. You obviously have a chaparral feedhorn. I do as well. You have a good start. Like the others said, you'll need a dish mover of some kind. It doesn't have to be an expensive one. As for adding a free to air receiver, when you get ready, if you have a budget in mind I'm sure you can get good opinions here on what will fit your needs. Keep us informed:)

yes most definitely keep the dish...even if its a fixed dish (not moveable) you would still get more with it.

I have the same thing... A few years ago I could only get the dish to move. The receiver has power but I haven't been able to get anything on it. trying to find the manual and get it working...

There's little the analog receiver will get. Latest thread outlining the analog channels I am aware of is: http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/237933-no-analog-channels.html
To see if the actuator on the dish is still operable, a 12 volt battery can be used. Hook up the heavy motor wires one way to go that direction, opposite to go this direction. Even if it's moving the dish, the actuator could probably use some TLC. Maybe disassemble it an clean it up and re-lube. Especially if it's noisy.

To go DVB** an Openbox , Manhattan or Pansat 4500HDX seem to be the current 'go to' receivers. There's threads discussing their 'quirks' and operation on this forum. Read until bored. It's whole new 'ballgame' compared to when your system was put up.
This may, shortly, be taken over by the GEOSATPRO microHD. see Post #1149 (over 1150 posts in the thread!)
**(DVB-S2 is where most of the 'action' is, IMHO)
DVB FTA receivers will not move the dish directly. They will connect to and operate a GBox or VBox, that is wired to the dish actuator, that moves the dish.
Most current DVB receivers will not operate the feedhorn servo (selects polarity/adjusts skew) except the Pansat 4500HDX. A new LNBF will enable the DVB receiver to select polarity.

yes everything worked. I just don't have the manual to know what cables to connect where on the transceiver/receiver.

wires

maybe this will help

Attachments

• SAT_cable.JPG
    SAT_cable.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 156
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts