CONUS & spotbeam questions

ohpfan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
United States
Hello, I am a new Dish Network subscriber but have read the forum here before selecting Dish. I called the phone number to activate my account and they were only going to offer me the HD single TV receiver (I don't need the Hopper), as the phone rep stated the Duo ViP 222k was discontinued 5 months ago; I begrudgingly accepted the single TV HD receiver. Ten minutes later, I visit their website, and it still shows the Duo ViP 222k is still being offered. So the next day, I use online chat to get the rep to switch my receiver to that model.

The next day is installation day, and the installer does have the 222k in stock, to my luck. After installing the system, he mutters that someone else usually installs the 222k and that he shouldn't be installing that model -- making it seem like he was doing me a favor. He seemed fairly arrogant and straight-nosed by the book. I asked if he could adjust the dish to receive the local Pittsburgh channels, but he says he can only go by what's on the work order.

Which leads me to the subject of this thread. I read on another thread that "Pittsburgh channels are nationwide (CONUS) at 77w and on a spotbeam from 129w." So, my questions are:
1) How difficult is it to change these settings and is extra equipment needed?
2) Does the 222k receiver support this?
3) May I adjust the settings in the software menu or must Dish change the customer's account only?
4) If I am able to do this, would Dish have a way to notice/revert this? If so, would I get charged extra?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

The receiver doesn't care which arc you are looking at; all you need to do (if switching) is to do the menu-6-1-1 and Check switch. But the antenna is pointed in only one direction or another, depending upon your DMA. If you wanted Eastern Arc, then IMHO you should have gotten an Eastern Arc dish. Did your tech install a Western Arc dish?

Hello, I am a new Dish Network subscriber but have read the forum here before selecting Dish. I called the phone number to activate my account and they were only going to offer me the HD single TV receiver (I don't need the Hopper), as the phone rep stated the Duo ViP 222k was discontinued 5 months ago; I begrudgingly accepted the single TV HD receiver. Ten minutes later, I visit their website, and it still shows the Duo ViP 222k is still being offered. So the next day, I use online chat to get the rep to switch my receiver to that model.

The next day is installation day, and the installer does have the 222k in stock, to my luck. After installing the system, he mutters that someone else usually installs the 222k and that he shouldn't be installing that model -- making it seem like he was doing me a favor. He seemed fairly arrogant and straight-nosed by the book. I asked if he could adjust the dish to receive the local Pittsburgh channels, but he says he can only go by what's on the work order.

Which leads me to the subject of this thread. I read on another thread that "Pittsburgh channels are nationwide (CONUS) at 77w and on a spotbeam from 129w." So, my questions are:
1) How difficult is it to change these settings and is extra equipment needed?
2) Does the 222k receiver support this?
3) May I adjust the settings in the software menu or must Dish change the customer's account only?
4) If I am able to do this, would Dish have a way to notice/revert this? If so, would I get charged extra?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

While the 222K is still in limited stock, for some reason, Dish has chosen to generally not install them on new work orders. Main reason, with the widespread use of HD televisions, most folks really don't want their second TV to be SD.

Not sure where you live, but no, you can not get Pittsburgh channels, at least not legally. There are people here that "move" (for their definition of move) to other DMAs. The only way to "move" is to call Dish and give them your new "service address". That will change the DMA listed on your account, and if you are in the area of the beam AND get that particular satellite, you'll get the channels.

What sats do you have? Menu-6-1-3, Line G. That will list the sats you get.

SomeDishGuy said:
What sats do you have? Menu-6-1-3, Line G. That will list the sats you get.
Line g shows "Satellite: 72 & 61.5" both have full meters. Also, I am about 50 miles southwest of Pittsburgh.
TheKrell said:
The receiver doesn't care which arc you are looking at; all you need to do (if switching) is to do the menu-6-1-1 and Check switch. But the antenna is pointed in only one direction or another, depending upon your DMA. If you wanted Eastern Arc, then IMHO you should have gotten an Eastern Arc dish. Did your tech install a Western Arc dish?
I am not sure which Arc receiver I received. Where do I find out which I have currently?

You are EA

EA is 61.5 & 72.7 & sometimes 77.

WA is 110, 119 & 129.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I asked if he could adjust the dish to receive the local Pittsburgh channels, but he says he can only go by what's on the work order.
The dish doesn't get adjusted. It works best if it never moves throughout its life.

The receivers DO NOT get adjusted. The authorization on your receiver is updated through the satellite to receive what you are entitled to.

If you thought you could choose where your locals come from, you've made a very unfortunate (and very wrong) assumption. What you get is based on what county you live in and that is mandated by Federal Law.

The Pittsburgh HD locals are on both 61.5 and 129. Those locals are on spot-beam 30 on 61.5 and it would appear that you should be able to receive them with your setup. The next piece is, what DMA do you actually live in? 50 miles south of Pittsburgh could very well be in another DMA than Pittsburgh. Dish is required to set you up in your proper DMA. What stations are you receiving now? You may need to 'move' to Pittsburgh to get their stations. Do a search on 'move' and you will see what that entails....

Line g shows "Satellite: 72 & 61.5" both have full meters. Also, I am about 50 miles southwest of Pittsburgh.

Yup, you have Eastern Arc using the relatively-new 1000.2EA dish. Older EA dishes such as mine (a 1000.4) receive all 3 birds at 61.5, 72.7, and 77 deg W longitude. If you are thinking of "moving" to get Pittsburgh locals far away from the Pittsburgh DMA, then you really need a 1000.4 dish. Note that Dish may take down Pittsburgh locals on 77 at any time.

Bobby said:
The Pittsburgh HD locals are on both 61.5 and 129. Those locals are on spot-beam 30 on 61.5 and it would appear that you should be able to receive them with your setup. The next piece is, what DMA do you actually live in? 50 miles south of Pittsburgh could very well be in another DMA than Pittsburgh. Dish is required to set you up in your proper DMA. What stations are you receiving now? You may need to 'move' to Pittsburgh to get their stations. Do a search on 'move' and you will see what that entails....
I was stuck with the Wheeling/Steubenville DMA, where CBS, ABC, & Fox are all operated by the same Wheeling, WV station and station call letters (WTRF); NBC is WTOV from Steubenville, Ohio. All four networks have amateurish news staff, primarily made up of college students. I guess this area goes for looks and not professionalism for their stations, but I digress.

The Pittsburgh HD locals are on both 61.5 and 129. Those locals are on spot-beam 30 on 61.5 and it would appear that you should be able to receive them with your setup. You may need to 'move' to Pittsburgh to get their stations. Do a search on 'move' and you will see what that entails....
Ironically enough, that "moving" thread is where I got the quote from the original post.

TheKrell said:
Yup, you have Eastern Arc using the relatively-new 1000.2EA dish. Older EA dishes such as mine (a 1000.4) receive all 3 birds at 61.5, 72.7, and 77 deg W longitude. If you are thinking of "moving" to get Pittsburgh locals far away from the Pittsburgh DMA, then you really need a 1000.4 dish. Note that Dish may take down Pittsburgh locals on 77 at any time.
What do you mean by "birds"? How do I gain access to the 61.5, if I may ask?

You already have 61.5. When you did your your 6, 1, 3, it showed you that your are aimed at 61.5 and 72.7. You are in a WV DMA and if you want Pittsburgh locals you need to 'move' to an area closer to Pittsburgh....

All four networks have amateurish news staff, primarily made up of college students. I guess this area goes for looks and not professionalism for their stations, but I digress.

You sure you didn't get that backwards? I'm thinking of the morning "news" shows. I'd much much MUCH prefer college students trying their best at delivering news, to 3 or 4 attractive people laughing at each other all the time, and covering fluff.

You already have 61.5. When you did your your 6, 1, 3, it showed you that your are aimed at 61.5 and 72.7. You are in a WV DMA and if you want Pittsburgh locals you need to 'move' to an area closer to Pittsburgh....
I understood all that before starting this thread. I read CONUS and spotbeam as options that the consumer could use as a workaround, similar to the old-school "lowering/raising of the OTA antennas or positioning it in a different direction".

You sure you didn't get that backwards? I'm thinking of the morning "news" shows. I'd much much MUCH prefer college students trying their best at delivering news, to 3 or 4 attractive people laughing at each other all the time, and covering fluff.
I'm more of a direct person; those stations seem to focus on the fluff you mention. I prefer professionalism, without misspeaking, saying words incorrectly, etc. I didn't mention it, but the video looks like it's taken by an amateur cameraperson; the on-screen video graphics look outdated; and just seems like they have a $1,000 budget for their studio expenses.

OK, well, if I saw your locals I'd probably agree with you. ;) But... If you knew all this conus/spotbeam stuff before starting this thread, then what issue do you have? Did you look at the Pittsburgh spotbeam footprint to see if you're in it? If you are, just "move" into the Pittsburgh DMA and you're done.

P.S. I don't see Pittsburgh locals on 77 any longer.

OK, well, if I saw your locals I'd probably agree with you. ;) But... If you knew all this conus/spotbeam stuff before starting this thread, then what issue do you have? Did you look at the Pittsburgh spotbeam footprint to see if you're in it? If you are, just "move" into the Pittsburgh DMA and you're done.

P.S. I don't see Pittsburgh locals on 77 any longer.
A bit off-topic, but when I visit my favorite restaurant in New Philadelphia, Ohio, channel 5 (WEWS ABC) news has the best studio set and on-screen graphics I've ever seen!
Back on topic, I knew of CONUS/spotbeam, but not what they refer to, nor how they work. After viewing the map earlier, I understand what spotbeam is, but I am still not sure about CONUS. I take it that CONUS is an acronym as the letters are all capitalized, but no idea what it means.