Coolsat 8000 HD receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have a question borne of ignorance. Why in sam hill didn't they let it do 4:2:2? Is that something that can be done in software? Seems to me if the box can handle HD it can dang sure do 4:2:2. Somebody tell me why or why not. :confused:

I'm a bit ignorant myself, but I'm sure it's a software issue, although it could be more of an expensive copyright issue. I'm sure it's a software codec of some kind though? Or maybe it's a we'll leave it out of this model, and put it in our next model (8500 ???) and half the people who bought this model will then by the newer model. Who knows?

Al

Iceberg, on avg how many HD feeds are you finding that you can watch? I see the 8000 prices are already starting to drop easily below $400 so it's starting to get tempting.

TSREader is an excellent program for PCI card, that will shows you how the video/audio and other stuff share the bandwidth.

I use my dreambox for tuning, I then either record or stream it to my computer and let vlc do the decoding of the video/audio.

will tsreader take a stream like vlc ? or open a saved transport stream ?

I beleive it is. You can open a recorded file in TSReader, it will analyze so you will see how the video/audio and other things share the bandwidth of the mux.

I use my dreambox for tuning, I then either record or stream it to my computer and let vlc do the decoding of the video/audio.

will tsreader take a stream like vlc ? or open a saved transport stream ?

I have not seen a qpsk at SR 45000 on G26.
I don't know if it was QPSK or not. I do know there was a signal there at one time, that scanned with a SR 45000. I have No idea what it was being used for. I just looked into my TP list on my Pansat for IA6 and it's not showing a signal at present. And it's stored in my Pansat, so I know it was there at one time or another. Since there's no current signal, I guess it's OK to post what it used to be: 11793 H. If it's not OK, then please delete this.

Al

Iceberg,
Thanks for the review of the 8000. 1st post but been reading for a long time.
In your opinion, would you recommend one to purchase this HD receiver or wait until others come out?
Ive been waiting for an HD receiver for simply the backhauls and whatever else is there but I usually hate jumping on the 1st one to come out.

I know they will be cheaper when/if more come out, but on quality/operational point of view of the receiver, how do you like it? Do you have any regrets on buying it or do you wish you have waited?

Thanks for your input!
-Bird

Hey birdy, like you I am very interested in the 8000, but I think I am going to wait as the price is dropping fairly rapidly and this first batch did not have all the advertised hardware ready. Not that the USB port is really a big deal for the receiver but if it was suppossed to originally come with one, I want to make sure I get one when it comes out.

It'll be nice to have 1 box do 2 things for me too. FTA and OTA.

Thanks for your reply!
I guess the price dropping is the only reason why I haven't purchased it yet, but been very tempted lately.
MLB spring training is here so I would like to pull in everything I can.
Ive read that Pansat is supposed to be coming out with one in April, but from what I read, many people don't like Pansat.....

I don't know what the USB is used for so I guess its not a big deal on my part!

Anyway, I guess I'm going to try and hold back and I know I will be happier that I waited, though if I see wild feeds on MLB games start popping up, I may have to go for it! :)

-Birdy

I have a pansat 3500sd receiver and I believe iceberg still uses a pansat himself (might be wrong). I really like my pansat, it controls my motor correctly, has blindscan, easy to use and learn.

I too have heard of a pansat HD receiver and I'm sure it'll come and when others do come to market, I'm hoping to see a little pricewar.

Maybe when the usb 8000 comes out, it'll have some other cool features that use the USB, like external storage or heck my pansat 3500sd has an SD card slot and I can use that to edit my channels and even play MP3's (kids love that and I don't have to let them handle the CD's)

The $399 price for the Coolsat 8000HD is very tempting at Go Satellite.

Questions:
Does it now have blindscan?
Does OTA HD programming information show up within the guide?

I was looking at the manual and it says it demods QAM256 and 64. Anyone tried hooking cable tv to see if you get anything?

Anyway, I guess I'm going to try and hold back and I know I will be happier that I waited, though if I see wild feeds on MLB games start popping up, I may have to go for it! :)

Well if the spring training feeds are any indication, this receiver may not be as useful as you would think. All the 4.2.0 stuff so far seems to be standard definition (I can receive it on my Pansat 2500A) and the rest is 4:2:2. Since this receiver won't do 4:2:2, I don't think it will help.

The thing I would most like about this receiver, I think, is that it decodes AC3 audio without need of an external decoder. That's a big plus in my book. Being able to pick up OTA signals is another big plus. The thing I would most dislike about it is the inability to get 4:2:2, which has been around for how long now? I can't believe that anyone would design a HD receiver and not include the ability to decode 4:2:2. And also the inability to do a blind scan would be problematic (I really don't want to have to switch receivers in and out just to be able to scan for signals).

If any other manufacturers are looking at the comments on this review, I hope they will see that there really is a desire to receive 4:2:2, and also to have a built in AC3 decoder and a good OTA tuner. I'm sure that now that one company has come out with a unit of this type others will feel the need to follow, but I'd rather they take an extra month or two and get it right than rush a product to market. Until a receiver comes along that will receive 4:2:2, I'm keeping my money in my wallet, unless the amount of HD programming available in 4:2:0 takes a big jump (but even then I'd prefer to not be limited to just 4:2:0 HD).

What might really cause me to seriously consider making the jump is a receiver that could handle 4:2:0 and 4:2:2, OTA signals, had built in AC3 decoding and smart scan, AND had a built-in PVR (and it all worked without looking like it was patched together with bailing wire and duct tape, and wasn't priced like a small car). I suppose that's too much to hope for, though.

I wonder if anything else will appear that will cause me to reconsider my decision to make do with my Pansat 2500A a while longer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts