coolsat 8000 lpb

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flashfluud1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
ST LOUIS
I have a 36inch geosat dish with a universal lnb, running a coolsat 8000.
I get everything on amc21 ecept for LPB.
i get no signal at all , from what i read it is hard to get,
is it even worth moving the dish for or is it a lost cause.
too weak?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, since the programming is mostly not unique. It is tough to hit without inching the dish one way or the other . All the 8psk channels are touchy to acquire, requiring larger dishes and more precise aim.
:)

LPB seems to be one of those where during the day it comes in fine but at night it goes kaput

at least it does here in Minnesota on the 36" ;)

LPB seems to be one of those where during the day it comes in fine but at night it goes kaput

at least it does here in Minnesota on the 36" ;)

Those day night differences (in either direction) are really hard to explain. I hadn't had this problem much on AMC-21, although I seldom watch LPB at night. However I DO watch (actually record) the main 12140 transponder a LOT at night. Never had ANY problem until the past few weeks. Recently I'll be getting a booming signal on that during the day. Put the thing on to record something overnight, and the recording would start out fine, then degrade into complete loss of signal half way through. Even happened once while I was watching live. Really strange. It didn't seem to be related to any weather at the uplink site, so I don't know what causes this stuff.

Those day night differences (in either direction) are really hard to explain. I hadn't had this problem much on AMC-21, although I seldom watch LPB at night. However I DO watch (actually record) the main 12140 transponder a LOT at night. Never had ANY problem until the past few weeks. Recently I'll be getting a booming signal on that during the day. Put the thing on to record something overnight, and the recording would start out fine, then degrade into complete loss of signal half way through. Even happened once while I was watching live. Really strange. It didn't seem to be related to any weather at the uplink site, so I don't know what causes this stuff.

possibly that 12140 TP next door at 127?

But why only at night? Isn't that transponder active 24/7 ?

yes it is...but just throwing an idea out. Maybe due to satellite wobble the signal on 127W is closer than normal

I honestly dont know..just throwing ideas out there :)

yes it is...but just throwing an idea out. Maybe due to satellite wobble the signal on 127W is closer than normal

That sounded like a reasonable idea, ie maybe 125 and 127 were drifting close together, and were closest at night. So I made a table of the positions of 123,125, and 127, using the latest keps. http://www.eskerridge.com/BJ/sat/amc21drift3.htm

It turns out, however, that 125 and 127 are further apart than normal, and with the daily orbital fluxuations, the times I saw the problems are when they were furthest apart. So it doesn't seem to be that they are too close. It's possible that somehow side-lobes are involved, and when they are further apart, the sidelobes come into play. I ran into side-lobe problems with sats that were 2 or 3 slots separated, ie either 4 or 6 degrees apart, (ie I could lock transponders on sats 2 slots away while still locking transponders on the sat I was aimed at) but that was with a different dish, so this one might have sidelobes closer.

Last edited:
tried to tune lpb in today and nothing
no signal here north of st louis
thanks for the info
What are you entering for the TP info?
Don't forget for "DVB-S2", on most receivers you need to enter the proper FEC and Pilot options.

with DVB-S2 you do need to enter everything

H
DVB-S2 8PSK
pilot OFF
3/5 FEC

it works on my CS8000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)