Coolsat Explanations for a newbie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MTKro

Original poster
May 11, 2006
Hi there,

I was wondering if somebody was able to explain me what is Level and what is Quality?! (Coolsat 4/5/6000)
Both are green when you're locked on a satellite, but most of the time when you're not beamed correctly, you get a high level and a very low quality?!

Thank you for your help ! :hungry: to learn!

Signal strength is a representation of sensing a signal (any signal for that matter and in many cases it could be background noise).
Quality on the ther hand is when the digital signature and characteristics of the signal are being measured. I.e transponder freq: 12345 GHz, BER:xyz and S/N R: abc, etc. Once these values match and are within the correct range, you get the green light or however the receiver displays it.

You can use the signal level to find a satellite and its whereabouts. but once you get close to it, "quality" is what you need to lock into the "correct" satellite.

Last edited:
@global0 : Thank you very much for your explanation, that's perfectly clear now.

I have another question now :D Does the skew settings really alter the quality of the signal, or is this just fine tuning?! Because I don't really understand the purpose of it on a circular dish?!

Most of the LEGAL FTA transmission in NA is done using the "Linear" technology and for that the skew matters between not getting any thing and having a perfect reception.

Please make sure that you have read and understood the rules of this forum before posting more questions. they are on a sticky at the top. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=51170

Last edited:
global0 said:
Most of the LEGAL FTA trasmission in NA is done using the "Linear" technology and for that the skew matters between not getting any thing and having a perfect reception.
I know that...my LNB is Linear...but I must miss something, because I dont understand the usefulness of this polarity.....But your explanation is enough for me, I have to find my correct skew settings......Some people told me it was just fine tuning....Thanks again.

you do need to fine tune the dish by aiming it at the correct satellite. Digital tuning is pretty simple...either its there or it isn't. Analog you would get fuzz as you aim..Digital is yep or nope :)

Skew depends on what satellite you are looking for and where you are in North America. If the satellite is on the west coast (say Galaxy 10) and you are in Texas, you have to "skew" the LNB for optimum performance.

If you go to the FAQ area, there is a sticky by PSB that explains the skew and also a satfinder SW that tells you the correct skew value for your specific location.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)