Could antitrust laws breakup D* exclusive NFL ST rights?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The idea of a satellite exclusive contracts a huge possible subscriber fan base that can't get a los. I think the NFL should consider those fans needs too

That doesn't address everyone else.

It makes sense for the NFL to market this package with other providers. I just don't get it. So much money is left on the table.

Giga,

Everyone was invited to get in on the ST in the beginning, no one but D* thought it would amount to anything ...
D* took a chance, it blossomed and now everyone wants it .... TOUGH.

They had thier chance ... I have NO Problem with D* having Exclusive rights to it.

In my experience with rain fade,if it affects DTV in my area,the rain also always seems to knock out our cable & broadband internet(even DSL gets interrupted),& the electricity goes off in our neighborhood. Even if I had a power generator to watch TV in such conditions,I doubt picking up OTA would be any more successful. No,I don't live in some third world country,just the Augusta,GA/CSRA metro area.

When your drop comes down due to weather and you call your local guys to fix it, your out of service for the day at minimum.
With D*, once the weather passes, your back in service.

We're beginning to hit that point where the trolls come out. This is too interesting of a topic to let the thread be reduced to pro-company vs anti-company. If you're here to just bitch and moan about hating the company, %@#$ off. And this statement is coming from a Dish sub.

We're beginning to hit that point where the trolls come out. This is too interesting of a topic to let the thread be reduced to pro-company vs anti-company. If you're here to just bitch and moan about hating the company, %@#$ off. And this statement is coming from a Dish sub.

Where do you see this ?

a Juris Doctor Candidate at Indiana University

BTW, "Juris Doctor" is just a law degree. Your local lawyer has a "JD". In the old days you didn't have to graduate college to go to law school. You just went one year and then applied to law school. The degree was an "LL B" (Batchelor of Laws). Over time this evolved to the point that law school is a graduate school, you have to have a BA or BS (no pun intended) to apply. So lawyers ended up with two "batchelors" degrees, their BA/BS and then a LL B. This was odd, so they changed it about 1970 or so. Really its just a masters level degree, like an MBA. But the term "Masters" was already in use, an LL M is the advanced degree that law professors get, so they went all the way to "doctor". In Law, thus a "masters" is higher than a "doctorate". Don't confuse a "candidate for a Juris Doctor" with somebody getting a PhD. And don't call your local lawyer "doctor".

Anyway, I would join the piling on. This guy should get a "D" on his paper. Most of the regular posters here know, not only more about how DBS works, but more about the law surrounding the NFLST package and DirecTV's exclusivity with it, than he does.

SamCdbs said:
BTW, "Juris Doctor" is just a law degree. Your local lawyer has a "JD". In the old days you didn't have to graduate college to go to law school. You just went one year and then applied to law school. The degree was an "LL B" (Batchelor of Laws). Over time this evolved to the point that law school is a graduate school, you have to have a BA or BS (no pun intended) to apply. So lawyers ended up with two "batchelors" degrees, their BA/BS and then a LL B. This was odd, so they changed it about 1970 or so. Really its just a masters level degree, like an MBA. But the term "Masters" was already in use, an LL M is the advanced degree that law professors get, so they went all the way to "doctor". In Law, thus a "masters" is higher than a "doctorate". Don't confuse a "candidate for a Juris Doctor" with somebody getting a PhD. And don't call your local lawyer "doctor".

Anyway, I would join the piling on. This guy should get a "D" on his paper. Most of the regular posters here know, not only more about how DBS works, but more about the law surrounding the NFLST package and DirecTV's exclusivity with it, than he does.

Juris doctor candidate sounds much better than third-year law student, doesn't it?

When they bid on the package, do they release which other companies bid on it and how much the bids were? Just curious as to how many other providers are seriously trying to get it?

When they bid on the package, do they release which other companies bid on it and how much the bids were? Just curious as to how many other providers are seriously trying to get it?

How many ARE bidding on it, I would think JUST D* seeing the package belongs to them.

Back in the beginning when all this started, everyone was invited to bid.

Well even back in 2009 cable / indemand would of been hard pressed to have it in sd much HD even now indemand pick of there bigger HD line up is slow over the cable co's but with most of then getting ready to kill analog there will be more room.

But even right now indemand may have to change stuff to pull off NFL ST they may need to have up to 15 HD? channels in one 1 pack not 2 packs of 9 each and they over lap with NFL ST as well.

Indemand has bandwidth now if they drop MLB EI HD, NHL CI HD, NBA LP HD, MLS DK HD to fit in NFL ST but they can have NFL ST + PPV HD and maybe PPV 2 HD. But how much SD room do they have?? Right now they have 14 games channels 10 team channels and 4 PPV channels on the SD so add about 15 NFL channels to that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts