CSI: Cyber

Yes, I know the basis of the show. I was questioning the timeline. Was it indeed 20 years ago that she got hacked?

Just trying to point out more inconsistencies with reality with this show, as social media didn't exist and online banking was an extremely niche practice back in 1995.

On Monday, I was watching Jericho on Pop, and I still cannot believe that CBS canceled that show [twice], but gives junk like CSI:Cyber, Scorpion and Under The Dome and opportunity to continue. Up until the three month break for Jericho, it averaged over 10 million viewers, after the break it hovered around 8 million. CSI:Cyber is now below 7 million.
No we didn't have "Social Media" as we do now but the internet was going strong in the early 90's, back then the rave was AOL, I don't remember when My Space got started.

No we didn't have "Social Media" as we do now but the internet was going strong in the early 90's, back then the rave was AOL, I don't remember when My Space got started.

That's why I specifically mentioned AOL. MySpace is only about 6 months older than Facebook.

I didn't get my first real computer till 2001 when dsl became available. So the hacking in her accounts could of happened anywhere in the last 15 years. Then she got a job at the FBI using her psychologist skills and worked her way up to CSI Cyber department. Sounds like a more reasonable time frame than the 90s.

As a recap, we know Avery was a practicing shrink, she was married had a daughter, lost her, divorced.
As a result of someone hacking her records, one of her patients was murdered, some time ( ?) ago.

Now, in the case of Raven, I´m not sure what were her major accomplishments as a former black hat.

Just trying to point out more inconsistencies with reality with this show, as social media didn't exist and online banking was an extremely niche practice back in 1995.
ICQ, AOL's AIM, Microsoft had something who's name escapes me (AOL was even sued by Microsoft because they blocking interoperability between their instant messanger).
All were available in 1995 (I remember this as I was stationed in Japan in 1996-1997 and used them to talk with people back home). There was also IRC for chat rooms, of which there were hundreds & thousands of channels (you could do a search on almost anything and find a chatroom for that topic or interest). I had been using IRC since I started GaTech in 1989. The hashtag thing even comes from the names of those IRC chat rooms.

Yes, online banking was somewhat niche, but plenty of banks had them, and people used them. I had an online account for Navy Federal at the time.

edit: came across an irc log someone did back in Feb '97 when I was stationed in Japan. I liveblogged the final episode of a show that was airing there.
http://www.tokyoland.de/last-episode-IRC.txt

Not sure about MySpace, but it wasn't the first onto the scene. Geocities had a robust page hosting service back in the early/mid 90's. Lots of chat options were available for it as well.

I don't really agree with calling AIM, YIM, ICQ and IRC social networking or the equivalent to modern day social networking. They were more the precursor to text messaging. BBS and newsgroups were probably the closest things to social networking back then.

Reactions: rockymtnhigh
I don't really agree with calling AIM, YIM, ICQ and IRC social networking or the equivalent to modern day social networking. They were more the precursor to text messaging. BBS and newsgroups were probably the closest things to social networking back then.
Which is why I mentioned irc which predates most of them.
I was using irc and efnet since my freshman year at GT back in '89-90.

Reactions: rockymtnhigh
Looks like Arquette´s character has ditched the pants, and this season will be wearing dresses, or was that just for the premiere '

I like D.B. now here, I like him better than the previous guy.

I also noticed the guy who was always wearing the tie and vest, has decided to dress down.

Thank heavens I DVR'd this episode I could never have watched all of it without skipping. Maybe they have D.B. in the cast but I still won't be watching it.

Reactions: dfergie
I watched it at work and I have to admit I kept nodding off and I missed who was the bad guy and who was doing it etc, and honestly I didn't really care. The addition of Ted Danson really made no difference to me. The show is still boring and I really don't know how it stays on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts