custom multi lnb for 75e channelmaster

Status
Please reply by conversation.
glover31 insert your photos as thumbnails. That way if someone wants to see the full photo they can click and see it. Inserting the full photo slows things down and makes it hard to read the thread, for folks on a slow internet connection.

glover31 insert your photos as thumbnails. That way if someone wants to see the full photo they can click and see it. Inserting the full photo slows things down and makes it hard to read the thread, for folks on a slow internet connection.
WOW. I had not thought of that. I remember dial up. Boy that sucked. But at the time it was all I could afford. External modems help out big time. The 232 port kind. Not the USB style. That and Firefox add ons that can stop flash and pictures from running.

To know that for sure you have to know position of the Focal point of your antenna, without knowing it your movements will be endless and you will never get maximum performance of your system.
Yes, that is first think to do before you start to cut metal :)
O.K. I have not done measurements yet. But here are the pics of the lnbf bracket taped to the side the the arm so that you can see both how it would sit if it was bolted on and also the lnbf and custom made bracket attached to the plastic cpvc. It actually is sitting purfect as far as hight. But it is about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch to close. See pics I just took. Photo439.jpg Photo440.jpg Photo441.jpg Photo442.jpg Photo443.jpg

Them make your multifeed in such a way that LNBF is not placed so close to the surface of the dish.
I just did some measurements dish to dish. There is about an inch difference. Oddly I was wrong. The arm on this e84 dish is an inch longer. 21 vs 20. The e84 on the left and e74 on the right HMMM.
Photo444.jpg Photo445.jpg

Reactions: KE4EST
Here are some links from an excellent thread by Linuxman that may provide some inspiration for you...
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/1710263/
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/1833632/

Honestly, the whole thread is definitely worth reading through, if you haven't already.

EDIT: here's one one more link from the thread that may help:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/1860200/

Satellite farm heaven. yeah. I think someone might complain if I did that in town where I live. But linuxman must definitely have allot to watch on the tube. But the way he has his lnbf. It can adjust up and down. He is using grounding rod clamps like me but they are a slightly different style. I will look around at the store and see what I can find. That would make things a bit easier.

OK. I have been out and about after work looking for a solution to mounting the lnbf's. Now I am frustrated. I determined how to get the lnbf's 1/2 inch back from where they are using a metal plate. Only to realize that the lnb arm that came with this dish would not be even close to correct if I had used the lnbf holder that came with it. It put's the lnbf aiming above the center of the dish. The lnb arm holder on the e74 is not this way and it is more on an incline than that of the arm that came with my e84. In fact I feel like I am hopping through more hoops than I should have to. In fact I am starting to question why it is that there has not been a bracket made for fta like dish and direct tv bell tv or others has. This is not a new thing. Some kind of conspiracy what? I have decided not to get the metal plate made. I am sticking with what I started with after looking at linuxmans stuff. I seem to be doing something very similar minus the radiator hose clamps. I am not sure how much a 1/2 inch being closer to the dish can limit me but will find out. Wish me luck

Them make your multifeed in such a way that LNBF is not placed so close to the surface of the dish.
This is getting hard. I have the dish mounted under the e74. I seem to be able to tune in 95 west. Everything else the transponders all scan. I can see like 10 or more transponders but no channels. Something is not right. I don't think I am hitting the center of the dish. I am going to take the bar of and do a single lnbf because I need to figure this out. In fact I am about ready to motorize it to save me head aches

Update: Motorizing this dish would not be beneficial. So that is a no go. The arm that came with it is in fact wrong. Even with the half broke dual lnbf holder that came with it from impakt satellite. So has been suggested to me many things but one in particular is to start with getting a single universal lnbf bracket holder. Then even with that installed to the current arm the lnbf will still be off but by moving it around by hand until I get signal. Then fine tuning by either moving the lnbf bracket adjustment or getting a combination of washers and a longer bolt, possibly move the universal lnbf bracket holder further away from dish until the lnb can see the dish better.
Then after all that I can move on to multi lnbf's. Golly. Wouldn't it be nice to just buy something that would work the first time.

There are specific different arms made for the Channel Master or Prodelin antennas made for the original Primestar system. One for the model 75-E, and another that has Red printing on the arm specifically made for the model 84-E, which is longer.

Multifeed operation requires that you have the proper distance for the antenna model, and therefore the arm. The back of your antenna should be embossed with either a 75 or an 84 on fiberglass surface. I don't know what you might have if it is a 74 cm version, but probably a mismatch or a completely different manufacturer.
Following my modification instructions and assuming the correct distance you should be able to find an initial signal with the system's matching LNB and feed device (if it is a Primestar), then hold a conventional Ku LNBF left or right of the arm, with a slight up or down height adjustment to peak the signal at a similar focal distance. This is where I used half inch EMT tubing after plotting and confirming hottest focal points, along with conduit adapters and either self-made or commercial LNBF holders otherwise available from distributors such as DMS.

I believe your arm is correct. Every 60E and 75E dish for Shaw in Canada has the same "Directv" arm you are referring to. It's a flat rectangular arm that is a different length for each dish. Millions of them here work fine for various satellites.

Catamount

Curious... How did you determine that the arm is wrong? Reseller clarification? Incorrect part number? Won't bolt onto the dish? Incorrect offset angle? Incorrect arm length?
There are specific different arms made for the Channel Master or Prodelin antennas made for the original Primestar system. One for the model 75-E, and another that has Red printing on the arm specifically made for the model 84-E, which is longer.

Multifeed operation requires that you have the proper distance for the antenna model, and therefore the arm. The back of your antenna should be embossed with either a 75 or an 84 on fiberglass surface. I don't know what you might have if it is a 74 cm version, but probably a mismatch or a completely different manufacturer.
Following my modification instructions and assuming the correct distance you should be able to find an initial signal with the system's matching LNB and feed device (if it is a Primestar), then hold a conventional Ku LNBF left or right of the arm, with a slight up or down height adjustment to peak the signal at a similar focal distance. This is where I used half inch EMT tubing after plotting and confirming hottest focal points, along with conduit adapters and either self-made or commercial LNBF holders otherwise available from distributors such as DMS.
I believe your arm is correct. Every 60E and 75E dish for Shaw in Canada has the same "Directv" arm you are referring to. It's a flat rectangular arm that is a different length for each dish. Millions of them here work fine for various satellites.

Catamount

OK. So its been a while. My apologies to all. I have needed the over time at work. To Answer the arm issue on the 84e dish. The re-seller has not made an attempt to respond to my questions in any capacity. Total radar silence. So... I will remember that for future dish purchases that's for sure. The dish was made to use a Prim-star type lnb arm. Designed to hold a eagle aspen style lnbf. It is slightly longer in length than the direct tv flat style that actually came with the dish that was purposely packaged to go with it but not as designed to be used with it. YES. I have learned that the multi lnbf does in fact need proper distance. In wich I didn't and could not have because it is a direct tv style arm. I am sure it worked to some capacity for some sat's but why set your self up for failure with poor signal quality? The arm that came with the dish started to collapse while tightening and I had to buy washers to put inside it. The dish was not designed to be used with this arm. Yeah it will bolt up, but you have to be careful and then mods have to be made to make the lnbf work right. PITA. So I ended up not having multi lnbf set up after all. Just two dishes. You can see what was done by looking at the pictures. Pretty much I took titanium's advise to get the single lnbf holder that was adjustable. This actually is the best set up I think. I did have to bend it to get it to hit the dish correctly but not by much. I can tune in any sat now. Only I decided to have the dish set to pick up 125 west. The other dish is still aimed at 97 west.
Photo456.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)