Cutting the cord today.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Again, Nielsen ratings does not determine what local stations are in what market.

Well, the ratings may not per se - but Nielsen themselves actually DO & set the (physical) boundary lines:

http://www.newportmedia.com/DMA-markets.html

The map presented above outlines 210 television markets in the United States. We structure these territories according to the "designated market areas" (DMAs) established by Nielson Media Research.

Of course we all know how straight and narrow of a line Nielsen Research walks. They are the problem when it comes to how the lines are drawn.

Can't go OTA as I live in a retirement community and would need an antenna to pull them in. They can't stop the dish, but they can stop me from erecting a suitable antenna.

Just FYI the FCC rules covering dishes apply to antennas also....

Hope you got their x1 because the older DVR sucks.

Enjoy comcast. Consider a Tivo Romio if the DVR bugs you.

Hope you got their x1 because the older DVR sucks.

Enjoy comcast. Consider a Tivo Romio if the DVR bugs you.
X1 is just a software change. Still same old equipment they had before. There is a way to get into the X2 Beta mode. As for the old software, it did its job, and I never had problems with it, other than the 6412p3 we had was solid as a rock, even five years after we jumped ship to ATT for U-Verse. The problem with CATV & Fios users going with TiVo, is that they do not want to pay outright for equipment, when they can either lease it over time then own after the end of their contract period, or pay nothing up front, and just pay for the costs of doing business, by allowing the provider to place the equipment in their residence or place of business, then pay a monthly service fee, to allow programming to be sent to the equipment.

I will have to say that you guys and gals (?) were correct about one thing. I cancelled at 10:30 yesterday morning and have had 4 phone calls already trying to get me back. I finally told the last guy to quit bothering me and he said he would put me on the do not call list. Just checked my e-mail and there was one offering me the world to come back. It has only been a day,but I am getting comfortable with Comcast. I guess the big test will come Sunday afternoon.

I will have to say that you guys and gals (?) were correct about one thing. I cancelled at 10:30 yesterday morning and have had 4 phone calls already trying to get me back. I finally told the last guy to quit bothering me and he said he would put me on the do not call list. Just checked my e-mail and there was one offering me the world to come back. It has only been a day,but I am getting comfortable with Comcast. I guess the big test will come Sunday afternoon.

Going to the local Bar this Sunday ? :)

Probably not Jimbo, my language is not always the best when the Ravens are playing and they could have their hands full with the Browns defense this Sunday.

I guess people don't consider Netflix or VOIP to be having to be connected to a line of some source.

So far, neither is wireless from the provider.

I guess people don't consider Netflix or VOIP to be having to be connected to a line of some source.

That's what I explained in an earlier source. The Internet is not considered as part of the "cord". The phrase "cord cutting" is really just a general description and the Internet is actually considered as part of the solution for cord cutters.

Yes, there are actually some out there that consider having Netflix or VoIP as "Cutting the Cord", when the true definition of "Cutting the Cord", is not having wired Internet, wired Pay to Watch TV, wired Telephone; thus depending on either public *Free* WiFi hotspots for your Internet services, and a pay as you go Cellphone or free no pay Cellphone as your voice comm.

I work with a guy who "Cut the Cord", but does not use a OTA antenna for locals. They spend more on things like Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Redbox, then what it would have cost to just stay with CATV & Internet in a package deal.

Now if you were saying that you were going off the grid. That would mean that you would not be dependent on any public utilities for electricity, water, telecommunications, and for some not even having a cellphone, but using a Ham radio for comm's.

That's what I explained in an earlier source. The Internet is not considered as part of the "cord". The phrase "cord cutting" is really just a general description and the Internet is actually considered as part of the solution for cord cutters.

As you point out, the Internet is still "Connected".
I think most dont look at it that way though.

Most people would have internet service whether they have a pay TV service or not, so they don't factor that into the "cord cutting" scenario. It's something they'd pay for and use either way, with or without Pay TV services. After all, the internet is not for streaming video only.

Netflix, Hulu, etc, all of those on the other hand, are debatable. Although you'd have to get an awful lot of streaming services to equal the price of cable TV or some other paid service.

Netflix, Hulu, etc, all of those on the other hand, are debatable. Although you'd have to get an awful lot of streaming services to equal the price of cable TV or some other paid service.

Not really, Netflix alone can cost you $25 a month, problem I have with Netflix is you can't watch anything current.

If you can get D* for $50 thats not much considering what you get with D* vs Netflix.

D* has packages as low as $ 29 p/m, just not a whole lot that most want on them.
Then again, Netflix doesn't have anything current, so theres your trade off.

If I had to pay for tv service I wouldn't have it. Tv isn't that important to me but I realize that there is a lot of people that tv is their only thing going. Poor health, older, or just lazy. But for me, I'm young enough to keep myself occupied without it. I don't have netflix or any other service. I'm to cheap to even pay for stuff on iTunes ;)

Not really, Netflix alone can cost you $25 a month, problem I have with Netflix is you can't watch anything current.

If you can get D* for $50 thats not much considering what you get with D* vs Netflix.

D* has packages as low as $ 29 p/m, just not a whole lot that most want on them.
Then again, Netflix doesn't have anything current, so theres your trade off.

True, I guess if you got all the bells and whistles with Netflix and such it wouldn't take long for it to add up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)