Cutting the cord today.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lefatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Selbyville DE
Finally made the call and Comcast will be here this morning to convert me to their service. My frustrations with DTV to not give me the Baltimore channels brought this to an end. I live closer to Baltimore then DC and am more interested in the news from that city. Comcast gives me both, as could DTV if they so choose. I would like ti thank the many of you who were very helpful over the years in answering my questions and putting up with my occasional rants. Now it is off to the Comcast Forum and new friends.

Can't go OTA as I live in a retirement community and would need an antenna to pull them in. They can't stop the dish, but they can stop me from erecting a suitable antenna.

Wouldn't it have been easier just to "move" your service address closer to B'more?

Voyager, I know of that trick, but I consider it illegal and would not do it. I even told the CSR on Saturday that I knew I could do it but would not. She said that Nielsen would not permit them to give me Baltimore. I asked her who they reported to and she said the FCC. The only thing I will miss is the Sunday Ticket, which was the main reason I went with them in the first place.

Can't go OTA as I live in a retirement community and would need an antenna to pull them in. They can't stop the dish, but they can stop me from erecting a suitable antenna.

There are many inside the home antenna solutions nowadays. I use a Mohu Amplified Indoor antenna & pull in over 70 channels in my area. Of course signal strength varies by areas but I would've tried that before switching. And as another poster mentioned, "cutting the cord" means cutting both satellite & cable and going to "free" services like ota & internet streaming alternatives.

I don't know your circumstances but OTA antennas for the reception of local channels are protected from CC&R's. Here's one reference link: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/installing-consumer-owned-antennas-and-satellite-dishes
Sounds like it's moot at this point since you've made the switch. I've found many of local sub-channels very entertaining and have an outside antenna in addition to those available thru DTV.

Voyager, I know of that trick, but I consider it illegal and would not do it. I even told the CSR on Saturday that I knew I could do it but would not. She said that Nielsen would not permit them to give me Baltimore. I asked her who they reported to and she said the FCC. The only thing I will miss is the Sunday Ticket, which was the main reason I went with them in the first place.
It is a violation of the Terms of Service not illegal activity. We all must live with our conscience though. If it would bother you then you made the right decision. I believe that you should get the locals in your area not the locals that some third party decides that you should receive.

You can interpret your way and I will interpret it mine.

not really an interpretation, cord cutters are are people who have given up cable and satellite in favor of OTA and/or streaming. as others have mentioned, you can have an antenna, they can't stop you, but sounds like you really didn't want to put that effort in. good luck with comcast, my parents have it and it is HORRIBLE, their equipment is a joke, hope you have better luck with them.

Incorrect. Tell the idiot retired lawyer or want to be lawyer on the board, to go pound sand. They cannot stop you from placing an antenna on the structure.

Now of course they can have problems if it is a large Ham setup, which is a different issue, but a 60" VHF, or rectangular UHF/Hi-VHF, they cannot do nothing to you.

I would call back to the line and ask for a Supervisor, and tell them that they have a CSR off her rocker. Nielsen ratings has nothing to do with how locals are determined in markets like Baltimore.

I would call back to the line and ask for a Supervisor, and tell them that they have a CSR off her rocker. Nielsen ratings has nothing to do with how locals are determined in markets like Baltimore.
Frederick, MD is considered part of the Washington, DC DMA by Nielsen. http://www.newportmedia.com/maps/countyinfo.php?m=9
DC-Washington.gif

Voyager, I know of that trick, but I consider it illegal and would not do it.

Its not illegal....people do it all the time (I did it for about 6 years)

as noted..just "move" to Baltimore market and be done with it. Switching providers and probably paying more, dealing with worse DVR's and not getting the programming you want (NFL ST) is more of a hassle (IMO) than calling Directv and switching your address...no matter how you feel about it.

Actually they CAN NOT restrict you from putting up ANY SIZED OTA antenna as long as it is required for you to receive adequate signal for your residence, unless you live in or around a defined Historic District, and even then OTA antenna can't be restricted out of hand.

You can interpret your way and I will interpret it mine.
A cord cutter is as everyone else has stated. You are cutting the cord, to let the man go. It is like stating that you are going off the grid, but still have power coming from the local utility. Really you are not going off the grid, if you still have power coming from the local utility.

It is an all or none option, when you cut the cord. Either you are going to get rid of Internet, Pay to Watch TV services, telephone, and go back to the basics, is what cutting the cord really means. That means that if you want to get on the Internet, you have to go to a local hot spot. Want to use a phone, you have to go find a payphone or use a friend's phone. Want to watch tv, you have to use an antenna to pick it up, if you are lucky enough to get reception; some areas like the far North woods of Wisconsin, cannot even get the locals through an antenna.

Actually they CAN NOT restrict you from putting up ANY SIZED OTA antenna as long as it is required for you to receive adequate signal for your residence, unless you live in or around a defined Historic District, and even then OTA antenna can't be restricted out of hand.
Just used the example of the Ham antenna, since those can be as big as a box truck, and up to fifty feet in the air, which a lot of Nimby's and HOA Nazi's think of, when you mention wanting to place an OTA antenna on your own paid out of your own pocket property.

A lot of HOA's are starting to relax their rules, since those with common sense are starting to get the idiots that live in their old ways, voted out of office. It is when you get stuck with one of those with a convent, that they restrict all property owners to a specific provider, which should have never happened, you see a lot of fights happen within the organization, and with those living in the hi-rise or in the "village".

There are many inside the home antenna solutions nowadays. I use a Mohu Amplified Indoor antenna & pull in over 70 channels in my area. Of course signal strength varies by areas but I would've tried that before switching. And as another poster mentioned, "cutting the cord" means cutting both satellite & cable and going to "free" services like ota & internet streaming alternatives.

Internet streaming should not count ..... your then connected to the internet thru a provider somehow.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)