D12 Satellite Launched!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What is the % of sucessful launches from DBS providers' payloads in this launching business?
Upwards of 90%
Aren't most of these launches "turnkey" things by now?
While formulaic, they aren't remotely trivial.
What's the average testing and maneuvering into the svc geo orbit time? 2-3 months? Is it about the same time required for Dish, DTV, Canadian DBS birds?
The average time is probably somewhere around 40 days. DIRECTV is definitely upping the average when they send up these birds with two payloads.
Did the advent of HD lenghten the overall testing time? I'd guess that it's "yes".
Only for DIRECTV who is employing radio frequency bands that had been previously untested in large scale television delivery. Others are still using tried and true (but running out of space) Ku band satellites that have been the bread and butter of the industry for many years. The complexity and much greater mass of the satellites has had greater impact on the time required to bring them to station.

So where is this new D12 bird going to be placed? Is it taking over one of the current spots of an aging bird?
The plan is that it is going to 103W and will be taking over D10's spotbeams (where there are apparently quite a few problems) and adding its CONUS to the mix.

The plan is that it is going to 103W and will be taking over D10's spotbeams (where there are apparently quite a few problems) and adding its CONUS to the mix.

So D10 was a failure then? Or will that bird get moved to replace an older one?

And I assume this has been asked and answered BUT... whay - why if its going up late Dec Jan - is D* not taking control and using it till mid May?

So D10 was a failure then? Or will that bird get moved to replace an older one?

And I assume this has been asked and answered BUT... whay - why if its going up late Dec Jan - is D* not taking control and using it till mid May?

Lots of testing needs to be done by the company sending it up there before they can give it to D* to use.

So D10 was a failure then?
D10 appears to have experienced as significant partial failure in its spotbeam capability.
Or will that bird get moved to replace an older one?
D12 will be co-located with Spaceway 1 and D10. They are actually many miles apart but at that distance, you can't really see them as separated.
D12 has a secondary payload (RB-2A, a BSS broadcast unit) that must be tested as well.

I think it likely that most of the testing time will be under the auspices of DIRECTV.

D12 will be their last chance for a long while to get everything right so they must be diligent. There's no backup Ka satellite should D12 fail in whole or in part.

Why isn't there a Headline on the frontpage of Satellite Guys about this satellite Launch.?
Whats going on around here lately. I know we like E* and all, But for some reason All the negative D* stuff makes the front page ,like bill increases, which normally I love to see.
But the D12 Launch is Big news.
D* yearly $3-5 increase, is hardly news since D* been doing this as long as I can remember.

Phew thanks for the reminder I had it written on my calendar as tomorrow night! (Whoops!)

Unfortunately won't be able to watch it live as I will be at the Monday Night Raw show at the Hartford Civic Center. :(

GO DIRECTV 12!

Why isn't there a Headline on the frontpage of Satellite Guys about this satellite Launch.?
Whats going on around here lately. I know we like E* and all, But for some reason All the negative D* stuff makes the front page ,like bill increases, which normally I love to see.
But the D12 Launch is Big news.
D* yearly $3-5 increase, is hardly news since D* been doing this as long as I can remember.
agreed

Phew thanks for the reminder I had it written on my calendar as tomorrow night! (Whoops!)

Unfortunately won't be able to watch it live as I will be at the Monday Night Raw show at the Hartford Civic Center. :(

GO DIRECTV 12!
you can see it through your iphone ;):p:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)