Dallas LiL.. No ABC?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lagmandan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
For some reason, WFAA (ABC Channel 8/9-1HD) is not listed as one of the new HD locals on the D* site. Anyone know why? I was really hoping to get it since it's the only Dallas channel I can't get with my antenna.. Mainly because they stupidly broadcast in VHF (9-1) instead of UHF like everyone else.

This could also be related, but I was able to get waivers for the East Coast HD feeds of NBC, CBS, and FOX but not ABC. I wonder if WFAA is being un-cooperative.

Dan

I'm assuming it's the same reason cable companies don't carry a particular HD local--the station is asking for more money than they are willing to pay.

I sent an angry letter to WFAA asking the following:

1. Why do you broadcast your HD signal in VHF when all other DFW HD stations broadcast in UHF?

2. Why were you the only DFW affiliate to not sign my waiver and allow me an east coast ABC feed?

3. Why are you the only DFW affiliate not on the DirecTV HD Local list?

Man, its almost like WFAA does not want me to see ABC in HD! Right now the only way to pick up WFAA-HD (DTV9) is to either be very close to cedar hill with a standard UHF antenna, or buy a seperate VHF antenna and an antenna switch.. What a pain. It really steams me when we, the consumers, are light years ahead of industry technology. They should be leading the way.

I was able to get my waiver for ABC-HD approved. I didn't do anything, they just signed off on it.

It's also the only local I can't get in HD either.

You know, ABC in Dallas is generally bad on SD. I have signal dropouts and pixellation many times, especially during football games and their big shows like Desperate Housewives. The picture/sound will completely blank for a few seconds. The dropouts have been happening for at least a month now. Are your HD feeds doing the same thing?

I wonder if they are just having problems all around and are trying to fix them before doing the LiL thing.

Me2

I sent a similar email however I know it will not matter....

Hopefully things can be cleared up in the next few days but that is wishful thinking.

-russ

Over at AvsForum, "JStigler" is an engineer at WFAA. I have PM'd with him a few times. Might even be faster than waiting for an e-mail to be answered.

I got an answer from WFAA:

1. Why do you broadcast your HD signal in VHF when all other DFW HD stations broadcast in UHF?

ANSWER: They did not choose channel 9 as their DTV channel, it was assigned by the FCC.

2. Why were you the only DFW affiliate to not sign my waiver and allow me an east coast ABC feed?

ANSWER: I didn't know this, but WFAA is actually the only DFW affiliate that is locally owned. The rest are programmed and operated out of New York, so they don't lose any ad money if I watch the east coast feeds.

3. Why are you the only DFW affiliate not on the DirecTV HD Local list?

ANSWER: Similar answer as #2. The New York based locals are willing and able to accept a smaller offer from DirecTV. Actually, if you check LyngSat page at http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/directvusa103.html WFAA is live. It will be interesting to see if I can actually get it when my new dish is installed next week.

lagmandan said:
For some reason, WFAA (ABC Channel 8/9-1HD) is not listed as one of the new HD locals on the D* site. Anyone know why?
There was an article in the DallasMorningNews today (Local Briefs, Section D, Page 12) that said DirecTV is still in negotiations with WFAA-TV, Channel 8. The expectation is that this will be worked out soon.
I did call and place a dish/receiver upgrade order and I'm scheduled for install next week. I'm hoping that the WFAA delay won't be more than a couple of weeks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts