Dallas/Texas Voomers Unite!

mthomps71 said:
Yea I'm also having an installation done in McKinney... He came prepared with the bigger OTA antenna because I'm so far away from the towers...

I'm in McKinney considering VOOM. Currently with D*. What type of antenna did they install for you? How's your reception?

Go for Voom! It really is wonderful.

the OTA antenna will be whatever is necessary to have you receive all the stations. Installs will send the guy out however many times necessary to make sure you are a happy camper. Voom ships with the stealth, and if that won't work, they will get you what will. Don't let that be the deciding factor! there are 11 OTA Digital stations in the DFW area get ready to enjoy the HD!

(The free trial is only a few more weeks, May 31. if you are thinking about being a Voomer, now is the time)

ramtip said:
I'm in McKinney considering VOOM. Currently with D*. What type of antenna did they install for you? How's your reception?

Actually I had an antenna in the attic that is working great. I'm liking it so far. He came prepared to install an antenna that was more powerfull than the stealth. He already had authorization for the bigger antenna. I think Voom is aware that we are a good distance from the towers and they are coming prepared.

That's good that they're prepared for something better than the stealth -- I think we're about 45 miles from the towers.

I have an aluminum backing on my roof deck for solar shielding, so I'm pretty sure that an attic antenna won't do. Will they do a chimney mount?

Is there anyone in Stonebridge with a visible antenna? I know HOA's can't really say anything, but I'm not looking forward to the battle...

I'm in McKinney and they installed the bigger antenna in my attic. I am going to have them come out again and tweak the direction of it because I am not getting many locals. They did not run a line directly from my antenna to the receiver. They combined the OTA and SAT signals. I am also having a polarity issue on one of my lines. On the channel that is to be HBO West, I am getting ESPN. Some other channels are doing this as well. I found some suggestions via the Voom forum here and was able to maunally go in and try to change the polarity on those channels, but it was unsuccessful. I swapped the the two receivers and tried it again and it still would not map the channel properly, so I know its not the receiver. I went into the attic and swapped the two lines and that changed the room that the problem was occuring in. So I have it narrowed down for the tech when he comes back. Its either the box that combines the OTA and sat lines or the line from the dish itself. I'm not upset by this. I knew there would be issues to resolve and I'm more than patient.

Otherwise, I am loving the quality of picture. I watched the Calgary vs San Jose hockey game last night and kept switching between ESPNHD and ESPN and laughing. I don't know how I used to watch the games on ESPN before. The difference is incredible.

I got all of my problems taken care of by Metro-Tech. They fixed the polarity problem by replacing the diplexors and also moved my antenna to the roof. They tried mounting it in other locations in my attic, but the signal just wasn't stong enough. I'm sure my HOA will be contacting me shortly.

The Metro-Tech guy (Allen) was very thorough and patient. He wanted to get things fixed. If you are getting an install by Metro-Tech, request him.

Does Anyone In DFW Receive Channel 27 Digital Signal?

I got installed yesterday. It took a Stealth w/amp antenna mounted outside.
I get every station except a couple of Spanish stations and Channel 27.
I know it's a really low powered signal right now, but c'mon, I live in Arlington.
Channel 27 televises about 1/2 of the Texas Rangers, so would really like to get this channel since I gave up Fox Sports Southwest when I left DISH.

I live in McKinney and I have the high-powered antenna. I do not receive channel 27 either. I'm not sure if they send out a digital signal all the time. I also started having trouble receiving channel 5. Their signal strength seemed to go down yesterday evening or my antenna got bumped.

Adamneh,

Thanks for your input. After 2 or 3 days of being up on Voom, I'm going to call them and see about getting an upgrade on the antenna. Even if it doesn't work for channel 27, I should still get a stronger signal on the other channels.
(Worst case scenario, I'll should be able to split the OTA feed and send one line to the analog antenna jack on my tv and then I will just have to switch my input source over to watch the games)

txcruiser said:
I know it's a really low powered signal right now, but c'mon, I live in Arlington.
Channel 27 televises about 1/2 of the Texas Rangers, so would really like to get this channel since I gave up Fox Sports Southwest when I left DISH.

txcruiser, I did receive 27 KDFI for a while after my install, but I no longer receive it :( . I also live in Arlington.

txcruiser said:

txcruiser,
Just like you, I can't get channel 27 either and I really do miss the Ranger games. I live in Garland and I was also on Dish Network. My Voom installer came back out and suggested I try an inline signal amp but I have not tried that yet.

I called VOOM yesterday morning to let them know I have not been able to receive channel 27.1 along with two other (insignificant) stations.
Later that same day, my install company, Metrotech Solutions, called me to indicate I had been approved for an antenna upgrade.
The antenna is supposed to be the WineGard HD7210. I asked if it will be amplified. The csr indicated the installer was already going to purchase one to go with it with no additional cost to me.

My upgrade is scheduled for next Tuesday (May 25th).
I'll report back then.

I'm sorry to say that all of you getting 27 are going to be disappointed..you will certainly get a picture but 27's digital transmission of sports is very, very, poor. It drops so many frames that the stutter is very noticeable. I'm not talking about a little inconvenience, it makes watching the game on the digital channel a very bad experience. This also happened with the hockey games. Congrats on getting the upgraded antenna, though.

dave

I really don't expect to get channel 27 in digital format. I just wanted the best antenna Voom will provide me at their cost. I'll just have to watch the games in analog. Not that big of a deal in the long run esp since the Rangers have come back to earth and have started losing again.

CH 27 should come in OK when they finally kick up their power to full power. Don't know when. They are running at 11KW and they have a lisence to run at 1000KW. That will make them more powerful than a lot of the other stations. Just when???????????????????????????

Pete In Plano said:
CH 27 should come in OK when they finally kick up their power to full power. Don't know when. They are running at 11MW and they have a lisence to run at 1000MW. That will make them more powerful than a lot of the other stations. Just when???????????????????????????

While I am not a Voomer... I do get Channel 27 Digital on my DISH 811 and my Samsung SIRT351 with no problem. I'm in zip code 75166 (Lavon) and 45 miles away from the towers in Cedar Hill. I am using a non-amplified Channel master 3020 in my attic.

I am currently receiving 16 stations, for a total of 24 digital channels

You are further North and East than me, and probably out of the shadow of all the buildings and the Downtown Dallas footprint. That is what is so unpredictable about it, some people in Arlington, just 20 miles from the towers, are having problems but you are way further away and can get it fine.

Is anyone having a problem receiving Channel 5? I live in McKinney and I am having trouble getting it. One of my receivers gets it with a signal strength of about 12 while the other receiver will not lock in on it. My other OTA channels come in with a signal strength above 40 so I don't think my antenna is pointed incorrectly. Just curious if anyone else is noticing this.

Adam: sounds like a signal quality issue, you might be loosing too many dbs on the way to the second box. How many times have you split it? Are the two boxes on the same antenna? If one gets it and the other doesn't, try replacing the coax to the one that is not receiving signal...

Digideal,

Thanks for the reply. I went into the attic last night and swapped wires, etc. That did nothing. Then I checked the cables going into the STB. As soon as I touched the cable, channel 5 came in. I changed the cable with some extra the installer left me and it works fine now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)