Dead Ku-band LNB

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
I get no indication that this LNB still works when I connect a receiver with voltage to it. It seems sealed and I can't open it (even destructively for educational purposes). Any hints how I could make it work again or at least see its electronics?

20191113_111737_resized.jpg 20191113_111910_resized.jpg 20191113_111836_resized.jpg

I vote for smashing it with a hammer. No way in hell you're getting it back together, and you might damage the circuitry, but there's a chance that you pop it apart cleanly. Also a good chance of getting hurt, so be careful and don't smash it with a hammer probably.

Isn't that a bandstacked model? It should show signal but won't show quality unless your receiver had a bandstacked option.
When I substituted this LNB onto an already aligned dish, and randomly picked one of the connectors to connect to, I found 0 signal. This is why I concluded it's faulty. I expected to see maybe 45 on the receiver. I never tried selecting a bandstacked LO.

What is "bandstacked?"

Bandstacked LNBs are a specific type and require a specific option in a receiver. They will receive both vertical and horizontal frequencies simultaneously and send them both down the same cable to the receiver, using twice as much bandwidth. Where one polarity ends, the other begins. The upside is that you can use splitters for unlimited number of receivers instead of a multiswitch and dual LNB. The downside is that cable quality and length matters more as the higher frequencies can fall off of a poor quality setup.

No, that isn't a bandstacked lnb, although Shaw/starchoice had many. It is a dual output standard 10750 linear. I had the same lnb with my one metre dish I bought in Amherst,NS. Mine went dead after about a year and a half. Threw it away about six years ago and got a Maverick Pll.

Catamount

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)