Status
Please reply by conversation.

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
I have a whole-home setup with 2 HR24s and a H23. The connect to the Internet via a white box with coax plugged into one end and ethernet plugged into the other. I believe this is what people are referring to when I create DHCP reservations for each device on my network, so I can easily detect any foreign devices. I created a reservation for the DECA box, but it hasn't picked it up. Does anyone know if this device actually grabs a DHCP address, or does it just act as a repeater?

Thanks,
Ted

I'm pretty sure the DECA is just a transceiver/bridge between the two networks. It is your satellite receivers that will actually get assigned the IP address. Each one will need its own IP.

Sorry, to simplify, it acts purely as a switch/hub.

As badtk noted, the DECA is just a converter between twisted pair network and the DirecTV coax network. If your system is working correctly, you can log on to your router and see the HR24's connected with their assigned TCP/IP addresses. (They id themselves as DirecTV 24's.)

I am using the default DHCP allocation method and it works just fine. I am not experiencing the difficulties others describe with their connections. You may want to just try the simple version first.

Please excuse a couple of stupid questions, but: "Do you have your DECA box plugged into a separate power supply?" The DECA is not powered by your receiver. And, "Does the other end of the coax connect to your splitter?" You just want the DECA to connect to your coax network, not a receiver.

Last edited:
Everything is working fine. The DECA box just wasn't picking up an IP from the DHCP server. If it doesn't need one, I'll remove the reservation and monitoring.

Thanks,
Ted

Ted,
Now that I see your response and reread your question, I see what your were really asking. Like you, I thought that the DECA would act as a gateway rather than a pipe. I was really surprised when I saw the HR24s logged on directly. Glad to hear that everything is working OK for you.
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Just got DTV any tips?

Very sluggish receiver issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)