Detroit MPEG4 HD Now Online!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
fkostyn said:
Proc / br16 : you'll have to let us know how it looks and runs!

I sure will.

I am just hoping the tech can get the thing aimed right for all 5 satellites. It took 4 of 'em and 5 trips to get the 3-LNB aimed right. I've got signals over 90 on all three birds. Hopefully this will be the case with the 5-LNB.

Well theoretically the new dish isn't a "true" 5LNB, since it combines some satellites focal points into 1 LNB, so they shouldn't have any trouble aligning it.

For you beta testers that are getting install dates, let us know how the install went! I'd love to hear all of those installers' mistakes before my market launches next. :D I'm only kidding. Poor D* techs that will be clueless when they see that dish. I'm a bit irked that many of you decided to call in and possibly screwing things up at D*. It's not entirely your fault as you're human and want things YOUR way FIRST but I hope it's not going to delay other market's launch by your actions. Imagine if you all called in when they rolled this out nationally. Most of the D*'s techs would be tied up in MPEG4 swaps (when people get a wind of this) instead of new installs or service calls. You know MPEG4 HD customers would be the most whining and demanding than other customers. Hee hee, anyway let us know how it goes.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
...you're human and want things YOUR way FIRST...

In my case this isn't true. I have never been one to jump to the front of any line. I had so many problems with my original HD upgrade and the OTA antenna. I just want the 4 major network feeds through the dish and to get it done before the snow flies.

The equipment is available so I thought I'd get it now.

However, I hope the D* installers are up to speed. :D

Well just picked one up from ABC Warehouse! Got the first one off the truck (1 of 3). But they advised me to contact DirecTV to arrange the install & also did NOT have the $200.00 mail in rebate form! Hopefully when I call DirecTV, they will, as well as know what I am talking about to get the 5 LNP Dish up too!

Steve

Does anyone know how long the testing program is expected to run, anticipating they don't run into any major snags. Then would you know their plan for the first 12 markets? Just curious.

Just so you guys know the new 5 LNB dish is 24 x 29. Also just incase you don't know , MPEG4 won't improve PQ it just provides D* more bandwidth to be able to provide more HD channels. I have also learned that even though upgrades are going on the MPEG4 signal won't start until mid November.

MPEG4 won't improve PQ it just provides D* more bandwidth to be able to provide more HD channels.

So you are saying that D* is not upping the bit rate that it already uses for MPEG2 and that the resolution will remain HD-Lite (1280x1080i) through MPEG4? Ideally D* should be able to increase the bandwidth per channel while allowing more channels per transponder at a higher resolution (1920x1080i) with MPEG4. This is for MPEG4 channels only. Not legacy MPEG2 nat. channels.

sltmag said:
So you are saying that D* is not upping the bit rate that it already uses for MPEG2 and that the resolution will remain HD-Lite (1280x1080i) through MPEG4? Ideally D* should be able to increase the bandwidth per channel while allowing more channels per transponder at a higher resolution (1920x1080i) with MPEG4. This is for MPEG4 channels only. Not legacy MPEG2 nat. channels.

I would like that answered too... If they are going keep the resolution at HD-Lite then I will probably dump D*.

Jerry

DTV_Guy said:
Also just incase you don't know , MPEG4 won't improve PQ it just provides D* more bandwidth to be able to provide more HD channels.

MPEG4 may not inherently increase the PQ but what it does is to allow more bandwidth and the bit rates to be pumped up resulting in better PQ, which is what will happen.

Also, are you saying that the reports of Detroit HD LIL up and running are false?

IMHO, the current HD channel bit rates won't be changing for a while. These are still on the current D* satellites and aren't going to be migrating to the SW1/2 satellites (at least I haven't seen any word to that effect). Since the current 101/110/119 satellites are maxed out there's no real room to increase since nothing would be moving off those satellites.

DTV_Guy said:
Just so you guys know the new 5 LNB dish is 24 x 29. Also just incase you don't know , MPEG4 won't improve PQ it just provides D* more bandwidth to be able to provide more HD channels. I have also learned that even though upgrades are going on the MPEG4 signal won't start until mid November. Until then cust in the Detroit market will be able to get National HD feeds of the 4 major networks. I'll see if I can find out more info when I go back to work later today.

You must have different contacts than Scott....
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=105022

He's reporting that the MPEG-4 stream is online and ready to go.

Welcome to Satelliteguys! :welcome

rad said:
IMHO, the current HD channel bit rates won't be changing for a while. These are still on the current D* satellites and aren't going to be migrating to the SW1/2 satellites (at least I haven't seen any word to that effect). Since the current 101/110/119 satellites are maxed out there's no real room to increase since nothing would be moving off those satellites.

What they could do is mirror the national HD channels now, onto the new satellite and pump up the bitrate to full 1920X1080.

all these post and not one person has said "WOW" what a picture.........seems muchado about nothing

rad said:

The new satellites, like the current ones, could care less what MPEG compression scheme is used. Channels, regardless of MPEG2 or MPEG4, HD or SD would be able to be move to and from any transponder to another on any working satellite to maximize usage and to increase open space, bandwidth & bit rates. That being said, no one knows what they are likely to do, but I can bet good money that bumping up PQ and adding a few national HD channels (wheather they are MPEG2 or not) is high on the agenda (right with the top 24 HD LIL) after Spaceway2 is in their control.

Jason,

I agree. If D* does not do that, there is no reason to upgrade to MPEG4 in NYC and LA covered areas for some time. I guess I should be patient as more will probably happen once Spaceway 2 is up.

charper1 said:
The new satellites, like the current ones, could care less what MPEG compression scheme is used. Channels, regardless of MPEG2 or MPEG4, HD or SD would be able to be move to and from any transponder to another on any working satellite to maximize usage and to increase open space, bandwidth & bit rates. That being said, no one knows what they are likely to do, but I can bet good money that bumping up PQ and adding a few national HD channels (wheather they are MPEG2 or not) is high on the agenda (right with the top 24 HD LIL) after Spaceway2 is in their control.

True, the satllites don't care what data you're passing through them. Yep, they could move channels to SW1/2 but then folks that aren't upgraded can't get them. Yep they could mirror them but then folks still on MPEG2 would still be stuck with HD-Lite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts