Detroit Tigers 2008

Injuries sure are playing their part this season, along with the lack of starting pitching. Funny thing is that the bullpen is 4 - 0 holding the lead after 7 innings. Didn't think we would only have the lead 4 times, this far into the season.

Injuries sure are playing their part this season, along with the lack of starting pitching. Funny thing is that the bullpen is 4 - 0 holding the lead after 7 innings. Didn't think we would only have the lead 4 times, this far into the season.

At least Detroit has an excuse. My Indians just can't hit! We've blown 2 great pitching performances over the weekend, losing 3-0 on Saturday and 2-1 in 10 innings on Sunday! :(

tigers made a mistake with dontrell Harvey

???

Who's Dontrell Harvey ?

duh, Sorry,
You mean Dontrelle Willis

I think Willis will be fine, he's schedules to go to Toledo for rehab once his injury is healed, the Pitching Coach will get him straightened out and send him back.

Q. I think Jeff Jones was the pitching coach in Toledo the last several years when he would put them back together and send them back to Detroit.
Where is he now, I don't think he's in Detroit as Chuck Hernandez is there, any idea what happened to him ?

Jimbo

16-1. Final. Tribe over Royals!

CC Sabathia pitched 6 strong innings, giving up 0 ER, 4 Hits, 12 K's and only 2 walks. I really hope this is a sign that Cy Young CC is back!

On a sour note, our #3 starter, Jake Westbrook was put on the 15 day DL with a strained muscle in his lower left ribcage. We're already without our closer Joe Borowski, who went on the DL last Tuesday with a triceps strain.

Last edited:
I agree ...
First off, he's new to the AL and then he's injured and hasn't been able to get into a good rhythm yet this year.
Would help everyone if the bats start hitting.

Jimbo

Their bats are awake

Hardly,
I heard a stat the other day that said the Tigers were LAST in runs scored ....
Just because they've hit in a few games doesn't mean they are breaking out of this slump, although we can hope it's a start.:)

Jimbo

19 Runs last night!!! Starting Pitching is not where it needs to be, but the bullpen has been showing up lately.

Lately? Were you been? Actually, I never thought I'd hear myself say that the bullpen has been the shining star of this team, but it is, right now anyhow. Don't have the numbers on hand, but off the top of head, 4 - 0, 3.20 ERA, and they haven't blown a save yet! Now if the starting pitching would just get on board, it could be a fun season.

AL Central is running neck and neck, top to bottom. It will be an exciting season.

From what I've seen of Gary Sheffield since he returned, I think he came back to soon ... He has not hit the ball hard but maybe twice this week, he did draw a big walk the other night, but for the most part he's either popping up or hitting ground balls.

I would take him out and let someone else DH, probably Thymes for a while.

Jimbo

Sheffield almost won last night's game with the bases juiced, but he hit it into Death Valley. If he had pulled it aabout 10' left, it would have been gone. Nice win this afternoon. Gallaraga pitched another fine game. What happens when Willis is healthy and this kid is still on the roll? Maybe its time for Robertson to hit the bullpen for a while?

Sheffield almost won last night's game with the bases juiced, but he hit it into Death Valley. If he had pulled it aabout 10' left, it would have been gone. Nice win this afternoon. Gallaraga pitched another fine game. What happens when Willis is healthy and this kid is still on the roll? Maybe its time for Robertson to hit the bullpen for a while?

I agree with your statement about Sheff yesterday, but that was the only time he's hit the ball hard all week.

Tigers will send Willis to an extended rehab at Toledo, just a guess, till Gallaraga cools down. It will do Willis some good too, see if the Toledo pitching coach AJ Sager(I went to school with him btw).
The Official Site of The Detroit Tigers: News: Willis 'one step closer' to return

Looks like Willis will pitch a few rehab games in Toledo starting late next week. Saveral players said Willis looked really good.
Tigers have reliever Clay Rapada up from Toledo, I don't know who went down, maybe it was the injury spot with Guillen being out.
Not sure who will go down when Willis comes back .... Hopefull Galarraga will stay but more than likely they want him pitching on a regular basis, personally, I would keep him in the rotation and skip one of the guys each week , gives them rest and keeps Galarraga rolling.

Robertson pitched very well yesterday, except for the 4th inning.
It's been that way every outing.

Watch the next time he pitches, everything will be going well and then when the 4th inning comes around, everything will fall apart.

This time he got it back together, but prior to this one, he was pulled.

Jimbo

Seems once again , the Tigers cannot play on Sunday nights for some reason, the other 2 games in this series were very good, both teams played very good Friday and Saturday .

Jimbo

A few Tribe updates from last week.........

Wednesday's Tribe/Kansas City game was rained out, so they chose to make it up the next day with a twilight double header starting at 7pm! ..........

The Tribe won both games, with the late game victory going to our #5 starter Cliff Lee. Lee pitched a complete game shutout while allowing only 3 hits and 9 strike outs! Lee is now 4-0 with a league leading 0.28 ERA!!! :eek: For those of you who don't remember, early last year when Lee came off the DL, he was so bad he was sent down to AAA and wasn't called up the remainder of the season. He wasn't even on the post season roster! This year, Lee won the #5 starting spot and hasn't looked back since. He's won every game he's started so far while throwing 29K's and walking only 2! Lee should easily be considered for comeback player of the year.

On Friday and Saturday, the Tribe continued their improved play by beating the Yankees. I was at the Saturday game and when Victor Martinez broke the 3-3 tie in the 9th inning, the place erupted!

Yesterday's loss to the Yanks was a classic pitching dual with the final score being 1-0. Wang and Sabathia both threw gems. On the bright side, this is now Sabathia's second dominant pitching performance in a row. Yesterday, he threw for 8 innings, allowed 4 hits, 1ER and 9 strike outs. It appears the "old" C.C. is back!

Wednesday's Tribe/Kansas City game was rained out, so they chose to make it up the next day with a twilight double header starting at 7pm! ..........

The Tribe won both games, with the late game victory going to our #5 starter Cliff Lee. Lee pitched a complete game shutout while allowing only 3 hits and 9 strike outs! Lee is now 4-0 with a league leading 0.28 ERA!!! :eek: For those of you who don't remember, early last year when Lee came off the DL, he was so bad he was sent down to AAA and wasn't called up the remainder of the season. He wasn't even on the post season roster! This year, Lee won the #5 starting spot and hasn't looked back since. He's won every game he's started so far while throwing 29K's and walking only 2! Lee should easily be considered for comeback player of the year.

On Friday and Saturday, the Tribe continued their improved play by beating the Yankees. I was at the Saturday game and when Victor Martinez broke the 3-3 tie in the 9th inning, the place erupted!

Yesterday's loss to the Yanks was a classic pitching dual with the final score being 1-0. Wang and Sabathia both threw gems. On the bright side, this is now Sabathia's second dominant pitching performance in a row. Yesterday, he threw for 8 innings, allowed 4 hits, 1ER and 9 strike outs. It appears the "old" C.C. is back!

Would you settle for "comeback player of the month"? It's a long season, he can still mess this up.

Except, he was out-dominated.If you didn't win , you didn't dominate anyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)