Did Sirius add new channels?

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Reason I ask is today when I turned on my Sirius, it said "updating channels" and it updated something (took about a minute or so)

What did they add (or change?)

No they didn't the update was for Canada which opened up more american channels to them.

There is talk we will get the Candian Channels in the US soon.

I actually found that the talk and all the comedy channels sound clean for the first time. Alot of the comedy pieces they play tend to sound muffled to varying degrea's but today after the update every single bit didnt sound like it was recorded by a $10 tape deck.

Scott Greczkowski said:
There is talk we will get the Candian Channels in the US soon.

We already get everything Canada gets, Including Iceberg's Radio Station ;)

They changed some channel names around too. BBC World Changed to "Talk"
and BBC Mundo changed to "Hispanic Talk". I hope this isn't a sign that these channels will be leaving soon.

There are rumors that the contract between Sirius and PRI (providers of PRI World, BBC World Service News, and BBC Mundo) is ending soon (around June 30).

(Obviously, Sirius could go directly to the BBC to continue carrying BBC World Service. But the "News" stream of it is licensed thru PRI in the US. (XM carries the regular BBCWS, not a special stream.))

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/is-pri/bbs-leaving-sirius.html

thanks for that clarification jegrant. It amkes a bit more sense now.

BFG said:
We already get everything Canada gets, Including Iceberg's Radio Station ;)

Um. no.

We don't get:

185 Canada Weather
186 Hardcore Sports Radio
187 Infoplus
188 Radio Canada International (RCI) Plus
192 Rock Velours
193 Energie^2

I'd really like to know why Sirius USA doesn't give US customers all the Canadian content. XM does. I could see maybe that there could possibly be rights restrictions on some content on Hardcore Sports Radio, but the rest of the channels are produced just for Sirius Canada by a partner.

The only thing I can think of, is that this is some attempt to force Canadians to subscribe to the Canadian version of Sirius to get their "Made In Canada" fix. But from what I've read at different message boards, most of them would rather have the full US version without limitations.

I'm sure the Canadian content producers would be more than happy to have access to all us Yanks too! Maybe the problem is that the Canadian content producers would ask for more money with the larger audience. It could be a cost management thing.

Hey, I recently did an ESN swap of my sirius sportster Rewind, and now i am getting channels 185- 193, as well as channel 0 which just shows the ESN of the unit. I know I didnt have these before, and I checked my brothers unit, same model and he isnt recieving them... I'm in the US and didnt make any changes to the account, just swapped recievers... anyone have any ideas why?? I'm not complaining :) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts