Difference between HR 44-200,500,700?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

geno239

Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
North Carolina
I spent 6 hours on a service call this morning because a customer was demanding that he get a replacement
HR 44-500 to replace his HR 44-200. All I had was a reconditioned HR 44-700. He did not want that. He said it was used and that he paid for new equipment and that is what he wanted. I finally told him. He had two options. He could call Direct TV and have them drop ship him a new 500 series box or I could install the 700 and be done with it. Well he tells me he had already done that with Direct TV and they sent him a reconditioned 500 and he refused it and sent it back. I finally told him I would just cancel the service call because I couldn't help him. He agreed to let me install the 700. But he wants me to try and get him a 500 series box and come back and do a service swap. Which by the way isn't going to happen. But what is the deal? Somebody somewhere told this man that the 500 series was superior to the 200 and the 700. I tried to tell him all those numbers stood for was the manufacturer. Or am I missing something? He also didn't want a HR 54 because it didn't have the phone jack in the back. Is there any other difference between the 200, 500 and the 700??

At this point there likely isn't many "new" HR44 out there, as the HR54 has been in production around a year now.

The -200/500/700 is the manufacturer number. There is subtle hardware differences inside sometimes but they operate the same. Kind of like if a cell phone has RAM or a processor by a different company, but the software is still iOS or Android, it will run essentially the same to the end user.

All 3 of the HR44 should run the same, and no noticeable difference in operation or casing.

Well, the interior parts could be different from manufacturer to manufacturer. But keep in mind even under one manufacturer each product run could be slightly different from the previous run. E.g. they got a better deal on the HDDs from a different manufacturer.

..and whoever told him the -500 was superior to the other manufacturers is just spouting a load of bs....

Anyone well-versed with DirecTV products will know that, if you want the absolute latest and greatest receiver, you'd go with an HR54.

Except that DirecTV isn't going to let you do that unless you also get 4K programming which, when considering all of the extra costs *on top of* regular device/programming costs, will likely add at least $40 to your monthly bill. And that extra buys you maybe a handful of channels that wouldn't even comprise an entire programming package, hence why they're add-on channels.

Well, somebodies out there are going for it :)

HR44 (at the moment) FTW.

There is a difference between the HR44-700 and the other's. I don't remember all the specifics but IIRC it has to do with the component outputs and how they handled the color space, wish I remembered the details.

Anyone well-versed with DirecTV products will know that, if you want the absolute latest and greatest receiver, you'd go with an HR54.

Except that DirecTV isn't going to let you do that unless you also get 4K programming which, when considering all of the extra costs *on top of* regular device/programming costs, will likely add at least $40 to your monthly bill. And that extra buys you maybe a handful of channels that wouldn't even comprise an entire programming package, hence why they're add-on channels.

"Anyone well-versed with DirecTV products" will know that the HR54 is only the latest and greatest if you want 4K. The electronics is otherwise the same as the Hr44.

Not true. I have a van full of HR 54's. No HR 44's at all. All new installs or service swaps and upgrades are now getting HR 54's. I service swapped a HR 34 with a HR 54 today with no problem at all. Tried to update the guy to one the other day, but he didn't want it because it didn't have the caller ID feature with it nor a place for RCA jacks. Old Timer who don't like change.

I think the point was that if you have an HR44, you can't upgrade to an HR54 unless you have 4K, or can get a service call and persuade the installer to swap your Genie.

Not true. I have a van full of HR 54's. No HR 44's at all. All new installs or service swaps and upgrades are now getting HR 54's. I service swapped a HR 34 with a HR 54 today with no problem at all. Tried to update the guy to one the other day, but he didn't want it because it didn't have the caller ID feature with it nor a place for RCA jacks. Old Timer who don't like change.
Whats Funny, Is Directv stated that HR34 have been reintroduced back into the fleet.
The software issues have been solved.

Somehow I doubt that ...

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
the HR44-200 still have the caller ID issue afaik. it'll work for the first 24 hours or so, and then stop working. witnessed this myself about a year ago when i demonstrated to a customer i had the phone jack hooked up, about a week later he called D* because it was no longer working. forgot where i herd it, but i don't think its a software issue but a hardware issue. the -500 and -700 should both be fine.

There is a difference between the HR44-700 and the other's. I don't remember all the specifics but IIRC it has to do with the component outputs and how they handled the color space, wish I remembered the details.

It was HDMI colorspace, and i *believe* it was common to the HR24-500 *and* HR44-500, but i could be wrong.

First generation anything are never the greatest. The HR54 is a First Generation 4K Genie.

First generation anything are never the greatest. The HR54 is a First Generation 4K Genie.
Not really, its a first generation Genie that pieces together a way to do 4k somewhat.

When we get a recvr that actually DOES 4k without addl equipment, then well have a 4k genie.

Are you putting in RB LNBs with them as well ?

No. Not putting in RB LNBs. In fact. I just loaded my van this morning. The only Genie Receiver I was given was HR 54's No one in our office got any 44's only 54's. I don't know why, but if that is all I have. That is what I have to install.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)