Direct no longer selling cards for leased receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rv7plt

Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
Baker, Fl
I have a D12 receiver that I have used in my travel trailer using an account belonging to my wife. I recently opened an account in my name and got new equipment that is not compatible with my 18 inch antenna. I called Directv and requested a new card for the D12 and they said they no longer sell cards or activate previously leased receivers. Is anyone familiar with this new policy?

John in Fl

I have a D12 receiver that I have used in my travel trailer using an account belonging to my wife. I recently opened an account in my name and got new equipment that is not compatible with my 18 inch antenna. I called Directv and requested a new card for the D12 and they said they no longer sell cards or activate previously leased receivers. Is anyone familiar with this new policy?

John in Fl
Sounds like they gave you newer equipment that would more than likely run on a SWM system and require a SWM dish set up.
Unless they gave you a HS17 Genie, there is a Access Card in the unit either behind the door or on the right side.
The HS17 Genie however works ONLY with clients and uses a SIM card ... ( I believe its a SIM card, looks like the same as whats in your cell phones ...)

AFAIK, Directv won't activate sd equipment except in rare circumstances.

Even if you get a card Directv isn't going to activate that receiver. They will not activate a receiver on a residential account that was previously activated on another account - it may have been in your wife's name but it was a different account as far as Directv is concerned. The only way you can do what you want to do is if the receiver was owned rather than leased.

The fact that it is a D12 is probably another issue, but even if it was an HD receiver they wouldn't activate it on your account. You will need to get an HD receiver from Directv, or buy an owned one off eBay (confirm with Directv it really is owned before paying)

I'm sure, but the way things have gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see it put off until 2020.

"The way things have gone"? What do you think might have changed that would make them want to delay it? Based on a recent post they were offering someone with an SD only account who called in their choice of a free upgrade to a Genie system, or HD receivers, without changing their monthly fees at all or creating a new commitment. Sounds like it is moving along, the next step will be to start contacting people with SD only accounts or SD receivers on an HD account and offering upgrades and presumably telling them the deadline.

Apparently the Revolution conference is in a couple weeks, I have to think Directv will have some updates to share to dealers that we'll hear about. If they are still planning to do it in 2019 they'll have a date, if it has been pushed back they'd announce that too. Maybe they will even describe it in greater detail, like whether 110/119 will go away, if they'll move some HD channels to 101 or have it carry MPEG4 SD duplicates of everything so RVs will still work with a standard 18" dish, etc.

"The way things have gone"? What do you think might have changed that would make them want to delay it? Based on a recent post they were offering someone with an SD only account who called in their choice of a free upgrade to a Genie system, or HD receivers, without changing their monthly fees at all or creating a new commitment. Sounds like it is moving along, the next step will be to start contacting people with SD only accounts or SD receivers on an HD account and offering upgrades and presumably telling them the deadline.

Apparently the Revolution conference is in a couple weeks, I have to think Directv will have some updates to share to dealers that we'll hear about. If they are still planning to do it in 2019 they'll have a date, if it has been pushed back they'd announce that too. Maybe they will even describe it in greater detail, like whether 110/119 will go away, if they'll move some HD channels to 101 or have it carry MPEG4 SD duplicates of everything so RVs will still work with a standard 18" dish, etc.
I was referring to how there are often delays in implementing changes of any kind.

I was referring to how there are often delays in implementing changes of any kind.

Well yeah always a chance especially when they haven't publicly announced a specific date. I've always assumed Dec. 31 2019 is likely just because of that human propensity for procrastination...hopefully we get a solid date soon.

Reactions: raoul5788
Well yeah always a chance especially when they haven't publicly announced a specific date. I've always assumed Dec. 31 2019 is likely just because of that human propensity for procrastination...hopefully we get a solid date soon.
but will it be one big cut or stages? Has there been any talk of NFL ST being MEPG4 only this year?

but will it be one big cut or stages? Has there been any talk of NFL ST being MEPG4 only this year?

You know as much as I do. Directv will probably have more information at the upcoming Revolution conference. Hopefully someone who attends it will post the info.

Directv is currently replacing residential SD equipment in certain DMAs, and we are currently swapping out everything on the SMATV side. Even if you found a previously owned D12 receiver I highly doubt they will activate it. H24 receivers will accept both legacy and SWM signals, and SWM8 modules are cheap enough to be found on ebay if you want to keep your existing dish and use a SWM only receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)