Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I hear a strong rumor that DirecTV will be looking to blow out their remaining DirecTV High Dfinition DVR's with TIVO (Model number HR10-250) as they are getting ready to launch their new HR20 DVR (without Tivo service)

I also hear that Robert from ValueElectronics has a very special deal for SatelliteGuys members at a really hot price on these remaining units.

If you want one of these units I suggest you give ValueElectronics a call and tell them your a SatelliteGuys member for a very special closeout price.

Or Check out http://www.valueelectronics.com/avstc.htm for more details (twards the bottom of the page)

This may be your last chance to get a DirecTV DVR with TIVO.

Apparantly directv will be having a promotion....order nfl sunday ticket you get it for free. But reports are the mpeg 4 dvr wont be out until november so I'm sure they will have plenty for this promotion.

Questioner said:
Apparantly directv will be having a promotion....order nfl sunday ticket you get it for free. But reports are the mpeg 4 dvr wont be out until november so I'm sure they will have plenty for this promotion.

That's just what I did yesterday, read on...........

HR10-250 for "FREE", sort of......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got off the phone with the D* retention dept. After talking to someone in the HD department about getting a HD-DVR (he couldn't do any better that $499.00, I hung up and called retention. The csr was very pleasant and kept repeating the standard line, "I see your one of our preferred customers," I told him the same thing......., 'I WANT A HD-DVR' AND I DON'T WANT TO PAY $499.00 FOR IT!!!

After a few seconds, he came back with a new promotion offer D* is giving out. If I sign up for NFL Sunday Ticket this season, then I can have the HR10-250 for $0.00. Now understand that the NFLST was a total of $229.00 for the season (payable all at once or in 5 monthly installs of $45.80.) I thought about and said OK! He also threw in 3 months of HBO free (which is okay, but there's hardly ever anything on there that interests me much).

Also, when the new HR20-250 comes out (he was adament that it will be in November of the year) I will get to swap the 10-250 for the 20-250 for no cost. I know, I know, I'll have that battle when the time comes because the rules will probably change by then..........AGAIN!!! But I really needed a DVR for my main HD system (I now have the H20, which I like very much, but missed the DVR capabilities I have in the bedroom - where the standard TIVO box is.) While I was reluctant to do this the last few months I just couldn't take missing shows and not being able to replay that moment in the games I just missed because I was in the kitchen getting another beer...........

Blowout?

I can kinda back that up, been a D* sub for 6+ years with ST and 5 recievers all Tivo including 1 HD Tivo ...I kept calling and this is what I got ....a HR10-250 for shipping and handling only ...thats right $20 ..yes its a lease but you know what for that kinda price..I WILL DO IT!!!!! Now I have 2 HD Tivos and I will wait a year for the bugs to get worked out of the HR20-250 and slowly swap out my units...BTW the first price I got was $499 followed by $199 then $0 ..just shipping and handling...

I chuckled when I read it too. $399 blow out price for a unit that has a D* HD life span of about a year (OTA and SD should still be good). I got a unit last year when they had specials for $199 with $100 rebate which D* honored. So 400 bucks isnt exactly a blow out price. Folks, you can always negotiate like other posters have. You should not, I repeat, should not pay $400 for this unit.

When the HR10-250 launched on April 16, 2004 we pre-sold 7000 units at almost $1k. I think the $399. price is very good. I understand some DIRECTV VIP customers may be able to do better, but $399 for your own owned HD DVR is a very good price.

Of course, DIRECTV will upgrade any MPEG-2 HD box to the new MPEG-2/4 receiver or DVR once they become available.

-Robert

Just to make sure I didn't read into this incorrectly.

An upcoming offer might be:

1) Order NFL Sunday Ticket and get a free HR10-250
2) Then I would be able to upgrade that to the HR20-250 for FREE (but no guarantees) !?!?!

Wow, great information!!

I just bought another HDTV and I've been looking for a deal on a HR10-250 when I happened upon this thread.

I just got off the phone with Customer Retention. When I called, the CSR searched for current customer offers, found the free DVR with Ticket offer, and BOOM, 5 minutes later I have a new HR10-250 and 5-LNB dish coming my way for delivery and installation this Sunday (I don't technically need the dish or installation, but for free, what the heck...)

Best part is that I was already subscribed to the Ticket, so it's not like I bought anything I hadn't already planned on!

I did have to commit to another 2 year service extension, but I don't plan on going anywhere soon since D* is still the only game when it comes to NFL Ticket.

dmastro said:
Wow, great information!!

I just bought another HDTV and I've been looking for a deal on a HR10-250 when I happened upon this thread.

I just got off the phone with Customer Retention. When I called, the CSR searched for current customer offers, found the free DVR with Ticket offer, and BOOM, 5 minutes later I have a new HR10-250 and 5-LNB dish coming my way for delivery and installation this Sunday (I don't technically need the dish or installation, but for free, what the heck...)

Best part is that I was already subscribed to the Ticket, so it's not like I bought anything I hadn't already planned on!

I did have to commit to another 2 year service extension, but I don't plan on going anywhere soon since D* is still the only game when it comes to NFL Ticket.

What do you mean "free DVR with Ticket offer"? I paid for the NFLST in full a month ago. No one mentioned free DVR's, although I did get the SuperFan for free, which is cool. Or is this the thing you get if you threaten to cancel the NFLST?

Proc said:
What do you mean "free DVR with Ticket offer"? I paid for the NFLST in full a month ago. No one mentioned free DVR's, although I did get the SuperFan for free, which is cool. Or is this the thing you get if you threaten to cancel the NFLST?

From what the CSR said, this is a brand new offer in their system in the last few days. I too already subscribed to the NFL Ticket and Superfan (auto-renewal from last year).

I did not need to threaten to unsubscribe, nor did I have to unsubscribe and resubscribe. It was enough that my account was flagged as an active Ticket subscriber.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
When the HR10-250 launched on April 16, 2004 we pre-sold 7000 units at almost $1k. I think the $399. price is very good. I understand some DIRECTV VIP customers may be able to do better, but $399 for your own owned HD DVR is a very good price.

Of course, DIRECTV will upgrade any MPEG-2 HD box to the new MPEG-2/4 receiver or DVR once they become available.

-Robert

Dont get me wrong Robert, 400 bucks relative to 1k is a great price. But....., most D* subscribers should not have to shell out that amount. If you are in individual that doesnt want long term commitments, hates leasing, and plan on using Tivo beyond MPEG4 upgrades, it makes all the sense in the world.

I would still call retention if you plan on buying one so you can get other things like free HD package or Super Fan for free.

dmastro said:
Wow, great information!!

I want to know if we must call "Customer Retention" to get this deal now. Otherwise I'm on it. I'm only 2 months into my 24 month contract, no need for me to call Customer Retention right now.

And if I attempt to get Sunday Ticket the normal way (with a free DVR), probably most CSR's will think I'm smoking something. then again it's a luck of the draw with CSR's.

2 months in. Not sure but worth calling to talk to them. You can ask for the deal. Dont have to threaten anything. The retention folks are usually more aware and easier to deal with thats why I call them. Its not necesarily to threaten to leave. Just simply and politely ask about the deal.

I'm not at all certain whether or not this is a customer retention deal. Like Brewer though, I prefer to deal with that department because they generally seem more helpful and knowledgeable.

It certainly wouldn't hurt checking with normal support to see if this is a standard offer, and if you get nowhere, try the retention department. The worst they can tell you is no, and they could say yes.

pherrholz said:
I can kinda back that up, been a D* sub for 6+ years with ST and 5 recievers all Tivo including 1 HD Tivo ...I kept calling and this is what I got ....a HR10-250 for shipping and handling only ...thats right $20 ..yes its a lease but you know what for that kinda price..I WILL DO IT!!!!! Now I have 2 HD Tivos and I will wait a year for the bugs to get worked out of the HR20-250 and slowly swap out my units...BTW the first price I got was $499 followed by $199 then $0 ..just shipping and handling...

are you saying you got a h10-250 free without having to sign up for sunday ticket ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherrholz

johnml said:
are you saying you got a h10-250 free without having to sign up for sunday ticket ?

Yeah... what was the call originally for? And what was your angle? Doesn't that compromise your hearts for the next go round?

Heck I'll try that if it doesn't hurt me when I really have an issue with them.

You can get most anything free if you get lucky, but I think that poster was very lucky.....you may have to talk to 50 different csrs to get that kind of deal.

HR10-250 for "FREE", sort of......

HR-10 250 is free with renewal of Sunday Ticket, called retention today, could not be easier, only charge is $19.95 shipping, got 3 months free Directv HD free, nothing else though...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)