DirecTivo HR10-250 Blowout!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Brewer4 said:
Also, you can couple the antenna feed with the Directv line with a combiner/splicer on each end. Saves having to run another line.

That will work ok, on the MPG2 receivers and DVRs (H10 HR10) but if you plan to convert to the MPG4 units (H20) (HR20), you will have to run two separate lines, as you can't use diplexers, with the AT9 (MPG4) antenna.

I would run a seperate cable just for the OTA because you will have to anyway when you go to the newer dish for MPEG4 and I like to dedicate the whole cable just for OTA.

I just called D* about this offer. I was put on hold for about 10 minutes and the csr came back and said that there are several offers available to me to choose from since I am a returning Sunday Ticket subscriber. 1. A free receiver (any one). 2. 24 free PPV movie, 3. and 4 were 40 issue of some magazines. I asked is she could email me the offer so that I could review it. :) She told me that I should have gotten a letter as a Sunday Ticket subscriber with the offers. I told her I never got such a letter and she had no response. I said " so I am entitled to this offer but would never have heard about it unless someone had not told me" and she said yes with a chuckle. It also seems the customer retention number has changed to 1-800-531-5000.

Do you think that they would let me get an HDTivo to replace one of my existing boxes? I already sub to ST and SFan (paid 99 last year). I would like to replace an H10 with a free HDTivo if at all possible. I already have 1 10-250 in livingroom that came from VE. Very satisfied with this receiver. I already have 3 tv's not looking for a 4th just to replace a box.

I did ask the csr if I could replace one of my 3 SD boxes with the new HD DVR and she said that was fine. I have a SD DVR and 2 SD boxes and will probably replace the SD DVR with the HD DVR.

Proc said:
Congrats to everyong getting the "free" Tivo HD DVR's.

However, If you are getting them free, don't come back here and complain in 4-6 months when you don't get a "free" upgrade to the HR20. There is no way D* is going to give out the H10-250's free and then magically upgrade everyone to the HR20 for free.

Well now that I got mine, you can count on getting that upgrade much sooner than 4-6 months, so I'm just takin' one for the team here!! :D

Rookie Questions:

I'm finally going to take the plunge. I'm a bit confused and hope to get some insight.

I want to upgrade to a HD DVR. I live in Jersey and get NY Locals. Should I order up the H10-250 or wait for the H20-250? I hear from some of these posts that, with some haggling, I may be able to work out some magic deal for the H10-250 (not a ST sub).

1. If I order the H10-250, which dish should I request/demand they install in order to insure I have the latest equipment?

2. Do I need the off air ant (I'm about 60 miles from NYC).

3. Would I be able to record my locals with the H10-250?

4. What benefits would I get if I waited for the H20-250?

5. If I ordered the H10-250, any idea what DTV plans on doing to upgrade their HD customers if they want the H20-250? My concern is when the H20-250 finally does come out, I'm sure the lease deal will be in excess of $500. However, if I order the H10-250 now, the upgrade to the H20-250 may or may not be easier on the wallet

Thanks in advance for any help. Unfortunately, calling DTV and trying to get answers from a CSR that using the phrase "ummm....ummm" more than once in a conversation is enough to drive me crazy!!!

Does anyone know if they can activate this free HDTivo on a different account? We got my dad an HDTV for Father's Day and I already have an H10-250 so I was hoping we could use this free one for him. I'm an NFLST subscriber, but he isn't. And no one from D* can seem to tell us when the West Palm Beach locals will be available via MPEG4, so this seems like a good time to upgrade. So, anyone know if this is possible? Can I get the free H10-250 and activate it on my Dad's account? Thanks.

vwman18 said:
Does anyone know if they can activate this free HDTivo on a different account? We got my dad an HDTV for Father's Day and I already have an H10-250 so I was hoping we could use this free one for him. I'm an NFLST subscriber, but he isn't. And no one from D* can seem to tell us when the West Palm Beach locals will be available via MPEG4, so this seems like a good time to upgrade. So, anyone know if this is possible? Can I get the free H10-250 and activate it on my Dad's account? Thanks.

it shouldn't be a problem at all.

rpl47 said:
Rookie Questions:

I'm finally going to take the plunge. I'm a bit confused and hope to get some insight.

I want to upgrade to a HD DVR. I live in Jersey and get NY Locals. Should I order up the H10-250 or wait for the H20-250? I hear from some of these posts that, with some haggling, I may be able to work out some magic deal for the H10-250 (not a ST sub).

1. If I order the H10-250, which dish should I request/demand they install in order to insure I have the latest equipment?

2. Do I need the off air ant (I'm about 60 miles from NYC).

3. Would I be able to record my locals with the H10-250?

4. What benefits would I get if I waited for the H20-250?

5. If I ordered the H10-250, any idea what DTV plans on doing to upgrade their HD customers if they want the H20-250? My concern is when the H20-250 finally does come out, I'm sure the lease deal will be in excess of $500. However, if I order the H10-250 now, the upgrade to the H20-250 may or may not be easier on the wallet

Thanks in advance for any help. Unfortunately, calling DTV and trying to get answers from a CSR that using the phrase "ummm....ummm" more than once in a conversation is enough to drive me crazy!!!

i was in you boat last week. i called customer retention a few times. the first time they wouldn't budge on the price. the second time they would only go to $350.00. by the fifth time the CSR said the previous CSR noted on my account that the price was $350.00. he asked what i wanted and i told him i just wanted the best deal he could give me. he put me on hold for 10 seconds and came back on and told me i could have it for free, because i was i valued customer. i also ordered a off air antenna to get the locals in HI-DEF ( you still get local channels in standard ) it works great. the CSR told me when the HR20-250's do come out that the cost will be substantial - just like the HR10-250 when if first came out ($1000.00). i also got HI-DEF and showtime free for three months. one other minor issue was the antenna dtv installed works with everything else but wont pick up the ABC station, i called dtv and they will send another tech out next Friday to try to adjust the antenna, if that doesn't work they told me they will credit my account $5.00 a month for either 6-12 months to offset the cost of the antenna. ( no big deal because i get ABC in SD ) Ive had the HR10-250 only a day and compared to regular SD i think its great. good luck -
p.s. I'm not a ST sub - all i have is 1 reg receiver and 2 tivo's with total choice plus w/ HBO. So you don't have to have ST;)

1) they upgrade you dish if needed to a 3 LNB or a AT9 if needed
2)you will need a antenna ($49.00 from directv installed) to recieve locals in HI-DEF
3) yes you can record locals
4)you would save a lot of $$$ the directv CSR told me when they do come out later this year, the cost will be substantial ( remember the HR10-250's were going for $1000.00 at first )
5) the cost will be lower but will still be substantial per directv rep

Last edited:
fdcatron said:
What is the number for direct tv retention?

customer retention. 1-800-824-9081

good luck - like i said it took me a few calls. every time i would just hang up and call right back and get a different response.:cool:

I called told them I was a new customer, and they said wait till my account was active, then call them, they have noted the account, and I will be getting my HR10-250 two days after my install!

Also called and and got the HR10- 250 for free it took me a few calls for them to give me the deal but i got it and it works great!!! GO STEELERS!!

I just go off the phone with D* and I got the free HD DVR and new dish to be installed this Friday all for $19.95 shipping. I also got the first 3 months of HD programming for free.

FYI, I was also told that the Raleigh-Durham HD locals will be turned on this Wednesday. I realize I cant get them with the HD DVR but thats no prob since I use off air antenna.

watch your accts/billing

Just fyi. I did receive my HD dvr and was told at the start it would be only $19.95 for s/h. Then after installation I noticed online that I was charged $99.66 for "Directv equipement charge". I was told it was the first of three charges for my new HD dvr! 3 calls (over 1.5 hr phone time total) I'm still waiting for the credit.:mad:

well just as a update, thought I would let everyone know, they have now pulled my HD DVR for free from my account, as it is not for new customers, it is for returning sunday ticket sub's only. I am not mad, just disapointed, but I will wait my time and see what I can do next year for deals when my contract is up!

You don't have to be a Sunday ticket holder to get the HR10-250 free, just a currant customer. keep calling, it took me about 4 calls to get one with each call the price kept dropping.

I've been a DirecTV subscriber for about 5 years - Total Choice Plus, 2 SD TiVos, locals, and HBO. I would like to trade in one of my SD TiVos for a new HD TiVo. Couple questions:

1. Is it still possible to get in on this deal? I do not have Sunday Ticket, can I still get a good deal?

2. If I don't get a good deal the first time, how long should I wait before calling back? Right away, a few hours, a few days?

3. I live in Los Angeles. This box will record my locals in HD fine without an OTA right?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts