DirectTV or Dish??

hudson

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
I too am staying until the end. But which should we switch too?? I think DirectTV looks like a better option. :shocked :shocked

hudson said:
I too am staying until the end. But which should we switch too?? I think DirectTV looks like a better option. :shocked :shocked

Personally I think Dish would be a better choice at this point. After all didn't they make the offer for the Voom satellite? For now just hold off until something concrete is announced or happens. Voom is still very much alive and I am still receiving programming here at my house. :yes

As it stands now, neither one of them looks like it has much to offer for the money. Perhaps I've been spoiled by Voom, but those other two need a lot more HD before they get my business. I got my HD from OTA networks pre-Voom, and that's what I'll do post-Voom until someone comes along with a serious commitment to high definition programming.

I hear ya! I have both Dish and Voom and probably will cancel Dish if Voom goes away and just brood awhile. Maybe rent more DVD's and read.

You ain't just gonna find HD out there.

HD content is still few and far between, with only the major networks and sports leading the way.

There are no Cinema10's out there, there just ain't any. HDNet Movies is about as close as you can come.

DirectTV has everything Voom had as far as HD, except the Cinema10 and RAVE.
But let's face it, there just not enough content yet.

I went to DirectTV and I am happy to say that I enjoy it. I still get a lot of HD Content and I get more SD channels, all at a much lower price then what I was paying for Voom.

<<<<<THIS IS NOT A SALES PITCH>>>>>>>>

Indy said:
Maybe rent more DVD's and read.
Exactly. I'm not a rich man, and part of my agreement with myself to allow myself to get Voom was no more movies (not that I really like going to the theatre anyway) and no more (or at least hardly any) DVD rentals, and no DVD purchases. But if Voom goes away, I become a DVD man again -- maybe even an occasional trip to the theatre. And rumor has it that there's a library within four blocks of my new house -- with no Voom I may be motivated to investigate the truth of this claim!

DrWho said:
DirectTV has everything Voom had as far as HD, except the Cinema10 and RAVE.
No. No Monsters, no Lab, no Ultra, no WorldSports, no HDNews, no UHD (or do they?Maybe it's no TNT? I forget), no Rush, etc.

I know a lot of people can't stand a lot of the Voom exclusives, but I liked them -- and they were a huge part of the reason I was willing to go with Voom. SD channels don't excite me enough to pay that much for them. Nothing against Direct here - if you like it great. But they don't offer anywhere near as much HD as Voom. No one does.

hudson said:
Directv has started doing HD again on all of its HD channels? Last I heard a lot were downrezzed to 1280x1080i and the bandwidth cut so bad that hdnetmovies looks worse than DVD.

check this out

http://www.widemovies.com/dfwbitrate.html

and the picture comparisons, they take a long time to load but LOOK!!

http://www.widemovies.com/directvcomp.html

Monsters was part of Cinema 10, so yeah, I know they aren't there.

Direct HD is only good sometimes, ESPNHD and HDNET (not the movie one).

For my HD viewing it's mainly OTA. Which is of course Free.

In essence, you need only pay or SD on direct, which is both cheaper and offers more variety than Voom did.

Direct will be launching a new bird by April, so hopefully we can see some performance increase by then.

"Nothing against Direct here - if you like it great. But they don't offer anywhere near as much HD as Voom. No one does."

Oh, I underdstand that.

But they main point is that VOOM is gone, so what are you going to choose?

In my area at least, cable is a better option than DirecTV or Dish. Not only is it cheaper with equivalent programming, cable has more HD channels (each with full 19.4Mbps bandwidth), and I'm renting an HD DVR for only $6 a month.

Actually, no - MONSTERS HD is not part of HDCINEMA 10

101 -Family Room
102 - World Cin
103 - FilmFest
104 - Kung Fu
105 - Guy TV
106 - HaHa
107 - Majestic
108 - Vice
109 - Gunslingers
110 - Divine
10 channels, HDCINEMA 10

121 - MonstersHD

oh, cool, my bad

DirectTV won't have The 3 Stooges Go To Space either.

DrWho said:
"
But they main point is that VOOM is gone, so what are you going to choose?
...OTA...
TheTimm said:
As it stands now, neither one of them looks like it has much to offer for the money. Perhaps I've been spoiled by Voom, but those other two need a lot more HD before they get my business. I got my HD from OTA networks pre-Voom, and that's what I'll do post-Voom until someone comes along with a serious commitment to high definition programming.

sad to say but my best option here looks like cable (adelphia). Total package with HD-DVR and all premiums is right around 102.00/mo. A LOT more than the 39.90 I pay for the basic voom package with plenty of HD channels, but it's close to what the dish and dtv total packages would be, and it gives you an HD-DVR.

Either way, cable/dtv/dish, the choices all suck and will be much more expensive and have much less HD programming. I can't really say I would be happy with any of the options.

If I was a voom user and had to decide between other offferings once voom is turned off I would go with D* or Cable at this time. I still have not heard anything from the Dish front about adding any HD channels. Although the aquisition of the voom satellite can have some possibilities. I can't get OTA reception unless I put up one of those really, I mean really big antennas and my Home Owners Association would not have that. Cable in my area and D* are very close in HD offerings, Cable has InHD, D* has HDnet.

This is really the big question in my case...!!!
NO cable HD offering in my neck of the woods yet and for many reasons Voom was the best option...if Voom goes, I don't know what to do...

I'll have to get a tuner for my OTA, which is the highest percentage of my viewing and fortunatley I do get all Networks and more!!!

I will wait and see if D* and/or Dish try to lure us Voomers with something really enticing...!!! Won't hold my breath though...!!!

hudson said:
For me the answer is "None of the above". COMCAST give me more HD channels NOW (I don't live on promises), not to mention that I can lease their HDDVR and there is no commitment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)